FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

iPad + Navionics as a chart plotter???

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: iPad + Navionics as a chart plotter???
    Posted: 15 May 2018 at 6:05pm
bricker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

At the risk of asking the obvious, would an iPad loaded with the Navionics app. work as a navigational aid/chart plotter?

Work have very kindly provided me with a flash iPad and waterproof cover!!! It just strikes me that with the Navionics app installed, I might have a large screen, high definition plotter at a bargain price.

Or am I barking up a completely different tree? Thoughts appreciated...before I shell out for a plotter that is of lower spec. than the one the boss has so thoughtfully provided :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:57pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We used exactly that plus an Iphone loaded with Navionics whilst navigating the canals of
Europe last year. Worked extremely well. But it was for different navigation challenges.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 8:33pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ipad screens can be difficult to see in the sun, and if you are wearing polarised sunglasses you can't see them at all.  The GPS reading on ipads, phones, etc is sometimes not all that great, but you can buy better gps units that link via bluetooth to them if you want better accuracy.  Visibility was what stopped me using mine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fushandchips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:48am
fushandchips View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I use my S8+ for exactly that and it works a treat. Its not highly accurate but with that and your finder you can quickly work out where you want to be.
Just note that it eats the battery so I fitted a USB charge port to use while underway.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 2:12pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have had a old adroid 4 (current is 9 or 10 now)   Huawai 8" tab for the last few yrs.
 Make sure any tab you get has GPS sensors.. not just cell phone location. there is not good cell phone, if any towers to locate you at sea.
 I use a usb connection to matian full charge all the time at sea.
It a is in a solid mount next to the lowrance(sounder) and the old huminbird with general gps.. (sounder disabled)
 A good solid mount is hard to find.. they usually require the thin pads that hold the unit in place replaced with thicker self adhesive sponge door/ window sealer.
 I have sealed in the vacuum packer in the past.. now just use good fitting a ziplock  bag if may chop up or rain. The usb charge cable is taped up with quality insulation tape.

At the ramp hit the "start" mid bottom of navionics screen and finish/ save when back at the ramp 
In the settings you can edit to add fish tides, amount fuel distance historical records.
 If logged in to navioncs , all these tracks any routes made and markers laid can automatically uploaded and down loaded on other devices if logged in.

With GPS , even on old versions of andriod and tabs, accuracy at sea is consistently within 3 to 10 meters .. usually 3 to 5m max 
 Down side,  and will notice if doing a slow turn, it takes a few seconds to update position and direction.. caution doing so on a very dark night with nothing to take a bearing off... you can easy head in the wrong direction, look back at the screen ,  and opps.

Navionics its self uses very little battery charge.. it is the navionics continuously requesting gps position from the sensor and  its the sensor uses the battery.
 I have rooted (hacked) the tab to close off all bloatware, and other functions not required.. again quite dramatic increase in battery life..and faster gps positioning.

Also navionics loaded on my 5" hauwai smart phone.

I also have a program "life 360" running on my smart phone.
 I turn this on and the gps in settings before leaving home.
 My wife can then track where we are, where we have been.. get  email and txt notifications when we leave and arrive at the ramp.
 If anything goes wrong she has very accurate positions, direction of travel for any emergency services.

If she is at work.. and taken the camaro.. I take 'her' truck to tow the boat.. ppl at her work know Im fishing...its routine now they ask where we are.. and comes up on google maps on her phone.

It just strikes me that with the Navionics app installed, I might have a large screen, high definition plotter at a bargain price.

So hell yeah.. and a lot more than just a gps position and 2nd yrs subscription gets even cheaper @ 1/2 price approx $10.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 5:42pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My son has a tablet and Navionics as a chart plotter, on a 10m launch. It works very well. Does all the things my chartplotter does, and with touch, far easier than buttons.
Its under a hard top and gets no direct sun on it. I assume that the screen wont be viewable in sun. Why aren't phones and tablets screens viewable in sun - like marine chartplotters and sonars are??

The mount needs to be very strong to withstand the shocks of boating. Smaller the boat, the worse the pounding - I do not think I would contemplate a tablet in my 4.6m Stabi.

I assume any sea water getting on it would probably kill it. Even rain would possibly kill it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 6:17pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Why are you considering doing this?

You will miss all the features of a combo chartplotter.

Navionics on a small boat is overkill, really its good for areas of open ocean you dont know well.

Most boats using it will have a Sonar to alarm them of other vessels/objects in close vacinity.

A handheld GPS for waypoints in a small boat is useful, in a big boat a combo 9" system is the way to go.

Too many negatives like battery and potential ip68 issues and accuracy for my liking.

Can you do it? Yep. But I can also hit my head with a mallet which makes as much sense.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 7:52pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Why are you considering doing this?
You will miss all the features of a combo chartplotter. 

I dont have deep pockets..
And yes the "features"
Put it like this.. my olclassic daily driver doesnt have electric windows...I dont need a morden "feature " to wind then up and down
And Vintage sold not long ago doesnt have a wind up "feather " like a winder or electric
 Yet they all have windows that do the job... go up and down. 

Navionics on a small boat is overkill, really its good for areas of open ocean you dont know well.

Hell no..something like 200 or 500mm contour lines reefs / shore rocks etc...thats where can put our little 5.5m  and even more so a ski or kayak.

Too many negatives like battery and potential ip68 issues and accuracy for my liking.
 Really? 
 you may gather from my post above .. and posts on other stuff, just the little things I throw in.. I cant know about unless i have actually done them.. include the bits that just say " dont do x " because in some cases have..and rather note actually say so 

Not everyone be it a kayak or big boat can afford a full gps/ sounder...
Yep here I go again.. yep as I mentioned above I have on my 5" old smartphone..and yes have used it.. just as well as the tablet or as well as if on a 7" screen.. I have have glasses on for the smaller screens.

Can you do it? Yep. But I can also hit my head with a mallet which makes as much sense.

The mount needs to be very strong to withstand the shocks of boating. 
 Sorta .. advord ball change angle ones and no stickers...good clamp mounted ones As I mention change the pads.. once get a good one its keeping the tab in the holder..
 We have come off the top of a few nasty chop waves hard once in a while.. in the last few yrs. It drops out of the holder on the carpet floor.. a crew goes to pick it up.. the skipper says , leave it  dont let go.. just give it a kick down into the cabin floor.
And it still goes.. 

I do not think I would contemplate a tablet in my 4.6m Stabi.
I assume any sea water getting on it would probably kill it. Even rain would possibly kill it?

It  has been on charge in a plastic zip bag with the usb wire sealed up with good tape...I have had a wave.. no several over a good 20 mins, come over the bow up the screen , hit the gap between the bimini and screen, wet the3 hell out of us , totally soak the whole dash area...
You have a el cheapo obsolete  android tablet $150/ 200 bucks, about $20 for 12 months navionics..with maps, same identical as the detailed marine gps updated almost daly just for the hauraki gulf area alone  .. and if travel / cruise around the 38/ mph on flat water notice a little delay in your position.. that catches up when slow down a little.

A few months ago cant rem who.. doesnt matter.. was heading or in thru a mangrove channel and fog came down..ran aground and had a very interesting day... Even if had the same detailed maps on expensive big gps units.. on his 5" screen mobile phone...

It works far better than what I grew up on.. compass and maps.. Now THAT is a slow position up dare by the time you physically take bearings.Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 8:30pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Each to their own. Id be putting  $500 plus maps into one of the new 9" Axiom Systems, which have great UX design between all modes.

Boats arent cheap, the gear that comes with them isnt either, thats why id not scrimp on a 20+ft boat with an Ipad.

And if navigating by navionics in the dark a person is asking for trouble. Thats what Sonar is for. So you dont run some people over, or worse get run over by a container ship.

Im not saying they cant be used on an Ipad, I just personally will leave that up to other people as I dont see the point and would rather use other systems.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:13pm
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I use an iPad as a backup which has been very useful when my simrad was playing up. Also very good for passage planning. As others have said you need the 3G model as only they have GPS. The Pro models have very good bright screens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 6:58am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

A handheld GPS for waypoints in a small boat is useful, in a big boat a combo 9" system is the way to go.

Utter nonsense.

Navionics is essential for contour lines and underwater reefs. 

Have a handheld GPS and was a pita sitting in front of a chart, calculating where a mark was and then entering into the handheld.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:32am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fiz, if you are going to navigate anywhere really accurate charts are the way to go.
You can never have anything better than an accurate chart.
An up to date paper chart is the best, with corrections marked, but no one likes handling them.
Navionics charts are great, not the out and out best, but they do a really good job.
I note that my Navman GPS plotter  is 14 years old, that means it has old charts as well.

I have noticed in the past 10 years a lot of large pleasure boats are using computer systems on their boat for navigation
and engine monitoring. They install a PC, large touch screens on the dash all connected to the Sounder, Radar, GPS and any other sensor they elect to use - example night vision sensors. 
Yacht racing has been using laptop and tablet based systems for navigation, measuring and monitoring for at least 20 years.

I have always believed that having separate units are safer than having them all in one system.
A few years ago, my son and I was travelling back to Auckland from Fitzroy at about 10 pm and 20 miles from A Bouy we had one of the boat circuits crash lost all lights, Sounder, GPS and Autopilot.
Fortunately the other circuit was okay and we had the VHF and Radar to enable a safe entry without lights.
So my Furuno  Sounder, Radar, Navman GPS and Raymarine Autopilot are all separate units and will remain so in the future.

You have made two wrong statements twice - 
"Most boats using it will have a Sonar to alarm them of other vessels/objects in close vacinity."
"And if navigating by navionics in the dark a person is asking for trouble. Thats what Sonar is for. So you dont run some people over, or worse get run over by a container ship."

Sonar will never prevent a collision with a container ship or a 12' tinny out fishing in the dark.. 
Sonar measures only what is under the boat. Radar identifies what is around your boat.
 Only AIS and Radar can prevent that happening but you need to be monitoring the radar screen and keeping watch.
Note Radar showed up Astrolabe Reef to the crew of the Rena, but they were not monitoring the screen - crash.
AIS is not installed on many pleasure boats so is not appropriate in this discussion.

I do a lot of cruising at night and it is very safe, so long as all boats are correctly lit.
And I still carry a sextant, learnt how to use one in 1978 and I still enjoy the magic of deriving a position line from the sun or stars.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 4:28pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im not saying Navionics dont have their place, sorry I should have explained further, i was just in a rush and what i said didnt make much sense. What Im saying is by themselves they are pretty much just a map. And yes I meant radar, I had sonar on my mind with fish HUD.

Also the really key importance with using them for waypointing is Sat accuracy, which the raymarine product and the galaxy tough pad, are designed for. scientists need to know the GPS is extremely accurate for various reasons like surveying the same species again in a years time.

Raymarine and others now offer you full integration into navigating BELOW the water with various things like being able to chart both sides of the boat (dragonfly or other tech), but more impressively give you a 3d image of what that pinnacle you noted on your navionics looks like. And of course what fish are around it, with increasing accuracy.

I work in Software User Experience design and Raymarine have done an outstanding job of integrating things, its like an Apple product, designed for the old and young, idiot proof.

If you are going to use a tablet, go for the Galaxy Tab Ativ 2 just released. My mrs is a double doctorate in biology and they threw her one, so ive been using it for watching Netflix while she doesnt use it between surveying our worlds animals.

They are damned tough and no need for a bag. They will take not just a beating, but a dunking at that with IP68 etc, also they are designed to be used by scientists with gloves or wet fingers, although I prefer the stylus. The stylus works the same as on Galaxy Notes etc. The screen to my surprised only being an 800x100 LCD screen looks like an AMOLED which they put in their S8 and Galaxy Tab S3. Was well impressed. More importantly is its GPS accuracy which is whats more important to you guys.

Sure in a pinch an IPAD with a fish finder works, but so does me sitting in Tiri channel drifting waiting for a bite.

Couple of quick videos. I really think from a user experience, Raymarine have done an outstanding job with this Axiom user interface. Keep in mind its plug and play, ie you can add things like radar, sonar obviously, 3d transducer to give you that real accurate 3d map under the water, and on it goes. Personally I think the 7" is too small, but usable in a small boat, 9" is the best, 12 is big. The software is so well integrated from Navionics to fish finder to 3d mapping. Thats where Navionics is useful, when its not standalone, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fI5KTBysZA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:42pm
bricker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hmmm......it's clearly a topic that polarizes opinions!!

My reasoning for the inquiry was simple. I have been given an expensive top-of-the-range iPad with all the bells and whistles so thought for the cost of a Navionics subscription, I could put together a great little plotter/GPS system. Yes I do have a sounder/fish finder so all catered for in that department. Sadly, I don't have bottomless pockets so $500 plus maps into one of the new 9" Axiom Systems is way out of my reach with a young family, etc.!! My fishing is done in shore (i.e. in sight of land!!) and in daylight, so I'm not looking for something flash, just simply a way of finding fishing marks via coordinates, marking spots for future, etc.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts and feedback.......gives me some direction :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 10:41pm
DIY View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep, I use an iPad mini with Navionics. I don’t have GPS on the iPad so bought a Garmin GPS receiver which bluetooths to the iPad. Works a treat and it’s the tablet I use for work etc.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 5:30am
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Go for it, your finances, your boat. I use my tablet as a back up unit.
Only caution saving spots may become public to other users. Have a look at spots saved on charts already.
And be aware of limitations, can also get other third party GPS tracking programmes like locus pro for tracking and saving points.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 9:44am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you are going to use a tablet, go for the Galaxy Tab Ativ 2 just released. 

Fisho
 Sry going to be blunt here m8
one moment you knock navionics on a tab.. next moment recommending a particular tab.. ansd expensive one to take to sea in a smaller boat
 Bottom line you, by your own admission from several posts.. not just on this subject but others  on boat performance etc..
 NOT from ANY  personal experience, but comments from mr google searches which many of those are very likely based on your own comments.
Also of note you have had comments deleted in the past..a particular make of boat..for just this sort of reason.
 Bottom line.. you have not a clue on the accuracy, or use of navionics on a tab or even a cell phone and therefore have nil to add to the original request of real experience in the original post..

Bricker..
 load the navionic.. from memory you have a well or month or something free use.
 once loaded run the update...and run day before heading out..

so I'm not looking for something flash, just simply a way of finding fishing marks via coordinates, marking spots for future, etc.
 Sry to disappoint you.. you will get something far flasher than you ever expect.. contores  tides.. detailed.. weather , NOAA general.. and around those reef, zoom in and you can see the guts, put the boat in them withing a few meters of accuracy..
TYhios is a reen swhoot off my 5" old smart phone
 note the contureline.. the numbers.. couple of my markers.. a community shared fishing marker.
 the rock details.. also the blue/ light blue white.. you can set all those depths to suit your boat, fishing depths etc..
 not sure if pic will post.. check out the navionic web site herer.. the web site can log in but cant do many functions like tracks , markers ..

Note the distance bottom right cnr...Wink
 I can drop on repeated trips within the distance of the bottom tip  of the blue marker.. IF position wait 30 secs to check.. on my phone or tab.. a marine gps unit is almost instant.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:11pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Fisho
 Sry going to be blunt here m8
one moment you knock navionics on a tab

I have no idea what you are being blunt about based on what you wrote, so Ill keep this short as your tone is not on. Actually I do have some idea about GPS accuracy and the differing of it between devices. And that combined with the tough books been made for out door use, in which I have used maps on them is why i recommended it for this type of application

I cant be bothered trying to reply to put downs.

Actually I didnt base anything I said on google. There is a reason Garmin etc are world leaders in GPS systems not iPads.

An iPad is a dumbed down (thats a computing term so no offense) device (as are most tablets) for people who dont need to know how to use technology. They are not devices designed for GPS work. Will they work, sure.

So please do not reply to me again in any thread.

OP if this is an Ipad Pro thats $1200+ of your works hardware you are risking. Its your call. If its the base 9.7 its $500. Will it work, It will display Navionics yes. Accuracy is something I cant be bothered going any further into.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:22pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by yknot yknot wrote:

Go for it, your finances, your boat. I use my tablet as a back up unit.
Only caution saving spots may become public to other users. Have a look at spots saved on charts already.
And be aware of limitations, can also get other third party GPS tracking programmes like locus pro for tracking and saving points.

Spot on.

As long as you are aware of the limitations and cost and you can live it then go for it.

And be especially aware of the durability of the device you are using, especially if this actually an iPad Pro.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 10:29pm
Toyz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Simple answer yes it'll work great for basic navigation (e.g. great for helping find pins and contour lines) if your tablet is GPS equipped. 

For mounting and charging in the boat get yourself a Railblaza starport with a USB charger and the Railblaza tablet holder to keep things tidy.

Page  12>