Interesting letter to Labour leader

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting letter to Labour leader
    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 1:06pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 2:38pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

https://breakingviewsnz.blogspot.com/2021/08/hugh-perrett-open-letter-to-prime.html?m=1
And proberbly does not have to recognised as not written in Maori.  To my surprise and will be to you too. That English is not an official language of New Zealand.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishfeeder2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 2:57pm
fishfeeder2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

NZ is on its way down the crapper im sorry to say. 2 sets of rules. NZ history is being changed and forcefed to people. Very sad... "And now we are one people".....BS
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 3:28pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'll just pop this one into the Politics forum...
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 3:31pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

https://breakingviewsnz.blogspot.com/2021/08/hugh-perrett-open-letter-to-prime.html?m=1
And proberbly does not have to recognised as not written in Maori.  To my surprise and will be to you too. That English is not an official language of New Zealand.

Big surprise for you then, 3 official languages in NZ are English, Maori and sign language.
I dont know where you got your facts from
That letter had nothing to do with languages though so why bring it up?

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 3:33pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Oops screwed that up sorry Kaveman, I'll try and sort it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 4:14pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Big surprise for you then, 3 official languages in NZ are English, Maori and sign language.

That what I have thought for the last 58 yrs but NO June/July it came out Maori/sign official languages.

Although English is currently the most widely spoken language in New Zealand, Māori and New Zealand Sign Language both formally have special status under the law as official languages of New Zealand. People have the right to speak Māori and New Zealand Sign Language in any legal proceedings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 4:18pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

English is the predominant language and a de facto official language of New Zealand. Almost the entire population speak it either as native speakers or proficiently as a second language.[1] The New Zealand English dialect is most similar to Australian English in pronunciation, with some key differences. The Māori language of the indigenous Māori people was made the first de jure official language in 1987. New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL) has been an official language since 2006. Many other languages are used by New Zealand's minority ethnic communities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_New_Zealand

https://www.new-zealand-immigration.com/blogs/english-and-the-official-languages-of-new-zealand

Māori and New Zealand Sign Language are the official languages of New Zealand
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 4:20pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Simple Not the owritten in the official language so wouldnt have to be recognised. That what I have thought for the last 58 yrs but NO June/July it came out Maori/sign official languages.

Although English is currently the most widely spoken language in New Zealand, Māori and New Zealand Sign Language both formally have special status under the law as official languages of New Zealand. People have the right to speak Māori and New Zealand Sign Language in any legal proceedings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 4:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nowhere does it say that english isn't an official language
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 6:15pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Aotearoa is just really the tip of the iceberg. Again it is something people do to show some form of good intentions. But the drivers of this (“the intellectuals”) are merely deceiving in my opinion. Which leads onto the next point.

The rebranding of various government departments has cost us millions to do. More unneeded bureaucracy, the communications teams in various departments have more than doubled under Labour. The minions on the rebranding job would have been far more useful doing anything but that.

I don’t really care what language people speak but it is a clear fact that English is most widely spoken in NZ.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 6:57pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I really don't see the problem with the name Aotearoa as an alternative for New Zealand, unlike many pakeha my age. As a child we were always taught that Aotearoa was the maori name for NZ, so it's no surprise. Back in those days we didn't know a lot of the maori place names that we know now. Of course pronunciation was a little off then too. Manner Cow for example. Then a mix of both - East Tamaki. I always wondered where Tamaki was even though I went to that school.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 9:12pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I really don't see the problem with the name Aotearoa as an alternative for New Zealand ...

No problem with Aotearoa being used as an alternative Smudge however I sense that the real agenda is for Aotearoa to replace the English New Zealand.

If I'm reading a newspaper or any other article for that matter and it's in English then I expect New Zealand should be used.  If it's written in Maori by all means refer to Aotearoa. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 9:51pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I really don't see the problem with the name Aotearoa as an alternative for New Zealand, unlike many pakeha my age. As a child we were always taught that Aotearoa was the maori name for NZ, so it's no surprise. Back in those days we didn't know a lot of the maori place names that we know now. Of course pronunciation was a little off then too. Manner Cow for example. Then a mix of both - East Tamaki. I always wondered where Tamaki was even though I went to that school.

I hear lots of mispronounced European words on the news Smudge no big deal. As in places and names.
Mispronounces for Maori words should not be a big deal, especially if it’s clear an effort is made.

Nothing wrong with using Aotearoa but what’s the point of rebranding whole government departments at huge cost for no obvious benefit to the taxpayer?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 8:20am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I hear lots of mispronounced European words on the news Smudge no big deal. As in places and names.
Mispronounces for Maori words should not be a big deal, especially if it’s clear an effort is made.

Thumbs Up

Nothing wrong with using Aotearoa but what’s the point of rebranding whole government departments at huge cost for no obvious benefit to the taxpayer?

Thumbs Up

On one hand the same ppl who want more money, benefits, vaccination support, hospital beds per head population, , more nurses, teachers, support services...at the same time often support spending those millions on re branding.

And who pays for it.. not the government
they are just re distributing our rates and taxes as per political pressure rather than the benefit of the citizens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 8:20am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes Steps

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/jobs/search?search_string=Democracy%20

Saw a listing on facebook obviously that listed heaps of “democracy services” jobs through councils.