inflatable jacket- confidence-lost.

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: inflatable jacket- confidence-lost.
    Posted: 04 May 2019 at 6:14pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What would be regarded as normal re maintaining..

About 6 fishing trips back put on jacket only to have cylinder fall out onto the boat floor.
Unzipped it, screwed cylinder back in tightly,re zipped.
Today i decided to check the cylinder assuming it would be secure in position .
Wrong. It was only a couple of turns away from coming out of the fitting.
Got to be a reason for this except i cant think of any.

So check your jackets. You wouldnt want this to happen when you really needed a workable jacket. Anyone else encountered this issue.
Jacket is a well known, respected  local brand.
On monday i shall be making some phone calls.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coochdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 7:43pm
Coochdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Havnt had this problem, but also lost confidence in them after having the manual inflate tube crumble in my mouth while checking jacket.would reccomend yearly checks (at least) and wear proper full jackets in dodgy situations,bar crossings etc

Heres a pic of the jacket after rubbing the tube between my fingers a few times in disbeleif.

On inflation it tore where the tube met the jacket,the rubber had become porous and crumbled when rolled between fingers,was a cheaper version won at a comp around 5 years old.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 8:15pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for that coochdog. Hearing your story and my confidence crumbles even more--. Thinking a good well made conventional jacket is the way to go.

I wouldnt mind so much if i got a leaflet with the purchase saying the cylinder can fall out or unscrew.  As i recall i got nothing. 
Yet it is drummed into us all. Wear your life jackets ,always.
I want to have confidence in my jacket.No point wearing one if it is faulty. Imagine loaning that to a friend or family member and it failed in an emergency. Would not be a good feeling.
Same for boats. You can buy a boat. Drive it away and your on your own as how to safely use it. Yes people can do a C.G course,however many dont,or maybe are not even aware about C.G unless someone tells them.
Lots of gaps in our marine safety.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 8:17pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Never owned  one never will for reason stated,ask yourself will it inflate if get knocked unconscious,hence why i stick with the old style jacket,designed to roll you over on to back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 8:24pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I gave fishing buddy inflatable jacket to wear every trip till cylinder fell out one day use conventional life jackets now....
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 8:52am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A full service is recommended every year on inflatable life jackets, lots of instructions on the net and youtube.They are great for their wearability, but do need to be looked after differently to a foam jacket.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dontpanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 2:50pm
dontpanic View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have had the gas cylinder unscrew and found it sitting loose in the cover, I only found it by accident 
It made me realise their is a number of automated components in these things that are required to make it function, I have been reluctant to use them since, we use regular flotation types now, and I am mechanically minded.
I imagine there is a significant percentage of boaties who wouldn't have a clue, scary thought really!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 12:20pm
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes, got a hell of a surprise when the cylinder dropped out on the deck. It's fixed in with light loctite now but I am still going to go back to my normal life jacket (especially if conditions aren't so good). 
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 12:46pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Am amazed at how many have had the cylinder drop out. I am not the only one.
Safety at sea--hmmm.
If these jackets were cars they would fail the warrant.
Wonder how many boaties out there right now are wearing jackets that would fail the warrant.
Thanks for all the interesting,if not alarming replies to this post.

So youre out there somewhere,its chopping up ,but you feel safe because you are wearing your life jacket. What could possibly go wrong.
That is until the cylinder falls out and goes clattering along the treadplate floor
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 6:28pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is a great thread and a real wake up call for owners of inflatable lifejackets of which I have three and I need to check them again. However with respect to conventional lifejackets if I owned a enclosed hardtop I would never wear a normal lifejacket, if the boat flips over it may be impossible to get out of the boat with a normal lifejacket. This is the reason why commercial fisherman never wear lifejackets when crossing bars, if it rolls they cant get out of the cabin. It is a bit of a dammed if you do dammed if you don't situation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 8:36pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting comment Vance. I recall seeing an air crash disaster doco where a plane had to make a water landing. Despite instructions from crew not to inflate their life jackets until after they exit the aircraft, several passengers panicked and did so. As the plane filled with water, passengers had to partially duck beneath the water to exit. The ones who had inflated their vests were not able to exit the aircraft and drowned.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 7:51am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have been using them for years and never had an issue such as a cylinder falling out.

However I make a point of servicing them every year - Labour weekend is my trigger and have had one "fail" due to a leak. Probably would still have been effective but ditched it. Only takes a few minutes and isn't hard and cost is nil. (assuming nothing needs replacing)

One thing about self servicing is you get very familiar with them and know exactly what's under the outer cover and where the oral inflator is etc.

Information including a video is on the Hutchwilco website here: https://www.hutchwilco.co.nz/our-stories/self-servicing-your-inflatable-lifejacket/

After talking to a few people who have used them in anger, I am fitting crotch straps - they ride up badly, especially if you're trying to swim.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:00am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pretty simple to me, don’t like them, don’t use them. When out on the water with my wife and kids it’s absolutely safety first.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:16am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Dagwood Dagwood wrote:

I have been using them for years and never had an issue such as a cylinder falling out.

However I make a point of servicing them every year - Labour weekend is my trigger and have had one "fail" due to a leak. Probably would still have been effective but ditched it. Only takes a few minutes and isn't hard and cost is nil. (assuming nothing needs replacing)

One thing about self servicing is you get very familiar with them and know exactly what's under the outer cover and where the oral inflator is etc.

Information including a video is on the Hutchwilco website here: https://www.hutchwilco.co.nz/our-stories/self-servicing-your-inflatable-lifejacket/

After talking to a few people who have used them in anger, I am fitting crotch straps - they ride up badly, especially if you're trying to swim.
Good points and crotch straps are recommended by coastguard and can be purchased separately.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 1:11pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been out checked all mine..
All ok
Crotch straps.. One of the several things fitted to the boat stuff before moving to the west coast /bars
A must espec when one reads the maritime report on that charter that went down on the kiapara bar..
Made a big point on crotch straps

I picked up 3 sets.. Come in pairs.. From smart marine.
Took a little figuring out how to get the buckle back thru the covers etc to put the loops over.. Once figured the other 4 where fine.
Also watch don't put a twist in.. Bit of a bugga when you think"right next one... " and realise.

I don't figure why crotch straps are not sold as Std with life jackets.. And hy those that do have them are so much more expensive
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 11:21am
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My partners jacket is the Hutchwilco while mine is a Burnsco one. Bought them at the same time and use equally. The cannister on mine is rusted to hell but the one on the Hutchwilco is shiny as new and has never fallen out. ?
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 12:00pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

never had a problem with my original Hutchwilco inflatable. I inspect and clean regularly,and have added a crutch strap. I always carry standard lifejackets on the boat which I elect to wear on bar crossings, or if it trouble arises with time to change over. The extra thermal insulation a standard full lifejacket offers is a key element for me also. I've often wonder about the many brands who are now producing them, and think with competition, standards are slipping to remain competitive. Unfortunately it's more about profitability than saving lives
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 12:43pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Been out checked all mine..
All ok
Crotch straps.. One of the several things fitted to the boat stuff before moving to the west coast /bars
A must espec when one reads the maritime report on that charter that went down on the kiapara bar..
Made a big point on crotch straps

I picked up 3 sets.. Come in pairs.. From smart marine.
Took a little figuring out how to get the buckle back thru the covers etc to put the loops over.. Once figured the other 4 where fine.
Also watch don't put a twist in.. Bit of a bugga when you think"right next one... " and realise.

I don't figure why crotch straps are not sold as Std with life jackets.. And hy those that do have them are so much more expensive

Baltic self inflating jackets come standard with a crotch strap.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 3:16pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Structfab Structfab wrote:

never had a problem with my original Hutchwilco inflatable. I inspect and clean regularly,and have added a crutch strap. I always carry standard lifejackets on the boat which I elect to wear on bar crossings, or if it trouble arises with time to change over. The extra thermal insulation a standard full lifejacket offers is a key element for me also. I've often wonder about the many brands who are now producing them, and think with competition, standards are slipping to remain competitive. Unfortunately it's more about profitability than saving lives
so bar crossings you change from inflatable to a standard??that says it all really ,no faith in inflatables. Granted standard are not ideal while fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 3:35pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

so bar crossings you change from inflatable to a standard??that says it all really ,no faith in inflatables. Granted standard are not ideal while fishing.
yeah exactly, standard are horrible for casting and jigging, prob ok for dropping baits at anchor tho.....which isn't my style
Page  12>