Hutchwilco Boat Show

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 6:56am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A good ali hull rides as good as any of the glass ones. Southern comes to mind. I would suspect the offshore would be too. 

Most people don't need or want custom so glass will suit them fine. Some of the ali boats have really lifted their game in finish over the last 20 years, and are quite impressive bits of engineering. It has lead to much higher manufacturing costs though.

The challenger at $156,000 for a 7.2m offered awesome value although it needed a few more HP, and they ride great (I own one). The offshore 7.5 at $350,000 was nicer. It all comes down to your budget.

One trap you have to be a bit careful of, is the stock boats need a lot of add on's so pricing isn't always the drive out the gate price.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 11:22am
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Originally posted by Phantom Menace Phantom Menace wrote:

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Didn’t go either cause bridge was closed on and off Saturday and had wife’s 60th Saturday night.. But those profile boats are awesome. Seen a few recent profile models up close, including the  635HT. Finished beautifully.

It was my 585H you saw in the Tutukaka camp ground Shane.  (thanks for the mahi mahi - loved it).

Nice to hear from you Tony. As a coastguard skipper you are in a position to be a great judge of boats… that craft of yours is a lovely boat and beautifully appointed, as in finished superbly and very practical. Best 6m boat I’ve seen.
I am a stabi fanboy for a long time but the way profile design and build theirs just seems more sensible and also just as well executed in terms of build quality.
I have looked at the one smaller than yours with a soft top. Although with all rain we have now days a hard top is even more attractive…. but you probably then want a boat your size if putting a hard top on.
Would love to go for a ride sometime. 
Cheers Shane

Looks like you have promoted me Shane!  I'm not a Coastguard skipper  - I'm a volunteer crew member. (It would take a lot more experience and study to get to skipper - not sure if I have the time and/or dedication for that ...).

You are welcome to come for a ride at some stage.  Let me know when you want to pop up to Whangaparaoa.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 11:28am
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kimber7wsm kimber7wsm wrote:

One trap you have to be a bit careful of, is the stock boats need a lot of add on's so pricing isn't always the drive out the gate price.

Yep, agreed.  I went through the boat buying process a couple of years ago and the add-ons do add up!  

Although one thing I will say about Profile is that they are upfront with the different spec options with 3 models priced on the same hull.  They have GL, Sport and Limited specs with the Limited pretty much having everything in/on it.  I started with the 585 Sport spec and added a few things like a bigger motor, walk-through transom, dual batteries, two step ladder etc.  But I pretty much knew what I was in for.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 9:37am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Weather played a big part as was a bit of rush to get around,like the idea of scanning ticket at booths rather than stamps.

Agreed, apart from it was a bit of a headache to check which booths had already been visited. Apparently, it was "easy to do on your own phone", but no one explained how. I worked it out on the way home, you need a QR reading app. One of the girls working on a booth was pretty exasperated with people asking her to check for them. Could be more organised I suppose, but I was following my very excited 8 year old boy around who doesn't do things aisle by aisle, hall by hall LOL

Minor rant AND I still didn't win!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 9:42am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by gurnard gurnard wrote:

Long gone are the days of decent affordable family boating options I think. It’s all about crazy designs and big prices nowadays. We may see a big swing back to fibreglass options like the sea nymphs and similar designs in the 70s for the average families if not already heading that way. For all the stick they get at least Fyran had a competitive option for families wanting to get out on the water before they went under.

Yep, prices are crazy. Thought it might have cooled off a bit, but that doesn't seem to be the case yet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 9:45am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter Bounty Hunter wrote:

Hang on a moment...

Lazer and Southern are south island brands, now both owned by Andy Carlson of Family Boats in ETamaki. Manufacturing is done in Dunedin and ET. The boats are close cousins but not quite the same, with Lazers main distinction being they offer f/glass topsides in some of their models.

Offshore are a Whangarei firm, and are located just around the corner from Circa Marine & Industrial, who they share resources with, with Offshore doing their finishing work. 

Also related to Offshore - is a chap by the name of Perrin Clark, who was one of their main fabricators, and he also produces a Lazer/Offshore clone in Paihia which in my option is the most attractive of them all...

I believe that is correct Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 9:55am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

Try telling  boss of Rayglass you want  twin live bait tanks, draws in the side pockets and cantilever seats for Both skipper and passenger and see what the response is.
Walking past the fi-glass stand, its boats looked exactly the same for every show I've been to.

Spot on. Just over a year ago, we were ready to put down a deposit on one of the smaller Haines Hunter boats (SF545). Mrs MB fell in love with it. Sat down with the guy, said I wanted a Minn Kota and livebait tank. Non-negotiable items and hardly "out there" these days. There was a lot of sucking through teeth and he said it could be done, but it would be custom jobs and would add significant cost to an already expensive boat. He also just didn't want to do it, thinking a trolling motor mount would spoil the lines of the boat which I guess is true, but really? Take the opportunity to sell a boat and up-sell! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 10:00am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kimber7wsm kimber7wsm wrote:

Good point. Add-ons came to $20K on our modest boat! Engine upgrade (I don't know much about boats, but I do know that everyone wishes they had a bigger engine). Minn-Kota. Anchor winch. Folding T-top. U-Dek. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 10:14am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My experience. Last minute offer to jump in the car with a mate who is building yet another, bigger and better boat. Had my young son with me, so didn't get as much chance to look at things as closely as I would have liked. 

Had lots of free alcohol tasters, very nice! Busy show with lots to see, but on the fishing tackle side, didn't see too much in the way of innovation, although I did like the new Catch Fishing Grubs. Nice and fat and available in lumo! Will be good for my deep water soft baiting. 

Went to a talk on topwater lure fishing. Think I learnt a few things that I had missed, so that was good. 

On the boat side, as per the other comments on the thread, lots of big flash boats costing serious money. It was fun to look at them, but that was all. Too big for my wallet, driveway and tow vehicle. I guess the boat show is the place to exhibit these monsters. Hopefully, my boat buying is done for some time anyway.
Page  <123