How often do kontiki get snagged?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 12:44pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My memories of Kontiki fishing from Sunset beach include Dad and my uncle holding a giant Bag (ballon) trying to tie it off after running it into the wind then tying it onto the line and duct tapping it up for strength.
Definitely needed offshore winds which were usually about now during the eqinox, but also happened to conincide with the snapper in close.
What great times, simple times. And i am only mid thirties...
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 1:16pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Steps, i am curious about the barley sugar idea. And i dont even have a kontiki.
 Now keep in mind this was 2 galv house storm water down pipes,  ends soldered off as pontoons,  attached to a wood frame and a square sail that could be rigged for wind direction.
 A little catamaran..
 On the rear wood cross member was a fencing staple 1/2 banged into the wood. The rear stay to the mast had a loop...was passed thru the staple. 
 There was a  running reef sinker on the main line, tiki end. this is lifted up to where the main line connects to the 'tiki
 Below that a loop on the main line was put thru the staple loop with the sail mast stay loop.
A barley sugar put in these loops.. holds the sail upo and sinker on board.
 25/ 30 mins later it has melted, sail drops, sinker runs down the main line to 1st trace, sinking and holding everything on the ocean floor

My memories of Kontiki fishing from Sunset beach include Dad and my uncle holding a giant Bag (balloon) 
 yep we started to see those  early/mid 60s, up to then we still had paper bags in food stores (IGA/ Four Square) and AH Chee had yet to build the 1st supermarket in Otahuhu..
 The bags where sheets of hard to get plastic held together with tap. Then those with access to heat sealers started to make their own...
 Still rem the old man expressing very clearly, what the hell is world coming to filling the sea up with this crap 50/60 odd yrs ago. 
The bags just went where the wind and rips  took them, no control, would go down the beaches messing up surf caster, kon tiki ppl a like

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 2:59pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've heard people use k-bar lollies as well,in place of barley sugar.

Steps,I usually use 30oz of led in the backbone, 1 sinker at front,then middle and at the end,helps keep my non GPS unit going straight,and keeps the gear on the bottom. I usually use 30lb trace with spoon sinkers,to they lift off the bottom when pulling in,and if get snagged they break off fairly easily.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:56pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The last time I was actually involved in putting out a 'tiki would have been around 1967/68 Pakariki right down sth end. He died shortly after that so cant go ask him.
 Those days the whole family walked, carried, no 4x4s , bikes whatever.
 So as to sink weights, would not know now, but for a young teenager it was a bit heavy , do rem it being a reef sinker.
Cant rem any other sinkers on the main line..sure was only the one... again when pulling in was about always keep moving so all lift up off the sea bed... 
 The main line nylon was heavy...about as accurate as  I can be on that.
The loops where ledgers.. never forgotten how to tigh them loops fast on a jig all exactly the same size and spacing.. Still tie droper rigs on a jig... whole series, just cut off the reel as want the next one...
 The clips where black magic exactly the same as buy today.
 The traces where a green nylon...maybe 30/ 40lb (??) about 2 ft.
 I do wonder thu.. just throwing a thought out there.
Our long line is 3 or 3.5mm black braid, from a haberdashery shop, has a breaking strain around 300lbs (or kg cant rem).
 Simple surgeon knot loops, 2.6m apart, and clip 30lb traces on the loops.
 Its lasted around 7 yrs now...often dropped across a foul, broke a few traces... did break the main line once, that was rather exceptional circumstances thu.
 Wounded why 'tiki dont use it, or little heavier maybe?

2.6m between traces.. why?
Well with 2 ppl that is the distance between when drop and revival , it is convenient to keep boat straight, put on or take off traces, clean hooks as go... float each end.. weights are lumps scrap steel.. one end is currently a big old broken adjustable spanner..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote durleyzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 12:34pm
durleyzz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Shore fishing guys -----just bought a GPS torpedo and pleased with it compared to my home made 46lb thrust one (as  GPS rudder to tech. for me)       Has any one tried this sonar detection one of BUlletfishing as I wish after my last time out 2 goes and no fish.  But they could have been in much closer than she went out. I've a boat with high tech sonar and no way do i ever see fish on it so I reckoned when buying it was not possible for sonar to be usefull .
As far as torpedo getting hooked up i always have 2 and usually i've managed to get the fishing one in with a grappel .Takes a lot of goes though. As for traces always have tubes over 60-80 lb mono  as one can pick up 30-4 and they dont tangle .  I use the clip that comercial  use and would u beleive a squesed over bit of neadit making only one swivel work. also shrinkwrap overswivel and tube stops filling with sand and makes it stiffer.    Have a thing called a winch shroud that i stupidly tried tio patent so never have a tangled up e reel.... Works wonders .Myn system works wonders too many of these torpedos so have to go only weekdays  and cross river if i have to as being tangled to another is worst thing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 6:13pm
BlueMarlin View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Apparently sunken logs are there from getting washed out the Whakatane river.

The ocean current travels east towards Ohope, not west towards Thorton.  The sunken logs most likely come down the Thorton river. 

Tip: Make sure your traces are light line, so when you force a bust off, it will break at the trace.
Page  <12