How do you flush?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grounded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you flush?
    Posted: 08 Jun 2003 at 5:08pm
Grounded View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

All you outboard owners out there, how do you do it?

With muffs, or a ruddy big bucket? For how long and at what revs?

My owners manual is typically vague and I have not yet sourced a workshop manual (iboats seem reluctant to ship here!) so I wish to pick the collective brains of my olders and wisers - well wisers anyway.

Ta. Chris

It's a mystery to me
I was a Jerk On Line
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2003 at 5:37pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Muffs at idle. Never rev your motor while flushing as you may blow it.  As there is no pressure on the prop reving will only damage the motor and may result it the piston going through the block.

I like to run mine for 5 to 10 minutes. I think you have to run it long enough to warm up and then a few minutes more.

I like to put Macs flush through mine to stop salt building up on the inside. I have done this from new and touch wood I have never had a problem.

Bushie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote empty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2003 at 6:51pm
empty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

same as bush but i put dish washing liquid in the hose at the tap end connect it the turn the hose on the run over and start the motor run for 5 to 10 min till it gets hot but i dont run it out of gas as the top cylinders run out first and run dry till the lower carbs run out of fuel
what happened to the pissing man?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2003 at 7:45pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

using muffs is the way to go Grounded........ forget the bucket you will empty it before you know it and your motor could run dry..... never start the motor without water running through it even just to see if it will start before lunching.... do that the night before you go with the muffs on, then you have time to get anything fixed....

like Bushie i run mine for about 5mins but i don't use anything other than water.... motors of today don't corrode like they use to internally...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2003 at 7:59pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi grounded,

I run my motor  with the muffs for about 2 - 3 minutes, then put Macs through in the last 20 -30 seconds, and Ive reved the guts out of it with muffs on, oops proberly shouldn't do that, Thanks for that tip BP.

Wefaknis

PS why don't you guys use the hose flush systems on those newer mercs??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1000PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2003 at 10:09pm
1000PA View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Muffs for over 12 minutes. My manual suggests this so the thermostats open and the whole motor gets a flush.

I think it's best to keep the fuel connected till you turn it off as well, mine is a 2 stroke and it oils the cylinders for storage till next outing.

Also I don't tilt the motor back up till the next morning so the water can drain out entirely.

Ross

Fishing-4-all-NZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2003 at 10:42pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I wash mine down with muffs for a couple of minutes. I just use water but a few guys use soap powder as it is mildly caustic and cleans up any corrosion. Dunno if I like that idea too much. Dont rev it over about 2ooo rpm  - like bushie says ...asking for trouble, the motor is designed to have a load on it.... I usually just give it a bit of a fast idle ...maybe 1400 rpm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2003 at 6:08am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Muffs 4 me as well but after a few minutes I disconect the fuel so that there is no fuel to turn bad in the motor as well and if your not useing the boat for a while at least you know the carbs are not all gunked up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grounded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2003 at 6:21am
Grounded View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers guys, the subtle variations are very interesting. The chap I bought from said I should fit the muffs, disconnect the fuel hose and run until the engine stops. The concensus of your replies suggests this is not long enough to get the full effect as the thermostat would probably not open. So, 10 minutes at a quick idle it is.

Lethal, when you say "motors don't corrode like they used to" - to what vintage of motor are you referring?

Chris

It's a mystery to me
I was a Jerk On Line
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2003 at 7:42am
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Muffs at idle for 5-7 mins (which is longer than you think - time it) and Macs.

The Yamaha mechanic told me that the flush system with a standard hose fitting up under the power head in the newer engines was as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. There was a reason (water not getting to every water channel?) but as it didn't seem important I've forgotten what it was. He said you might want to use it if you were going to leave your boat in the water for a week or so and not use it for a couple of days - not the way I go boating.

obald

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wakatoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2003 at 9:07am
wakatoa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

When I'm at my bach because we are on rain water tanks I use a big plastic stock water trough that I back the boat up to, this is also a quiet way to flush because the exhaust is under water. My manual for Johnson 70 hp recommends 5 min flush.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diversion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2003 at 9:48am
Diversion View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Wefakins

i use the hose flush system on my merc opti with the motor not running about once a month for 10 mins as an extra flush,but have been told not to use this method as my normal flush and continue to use the standard muffs at idle for at least 5 mins.

From the office of His Lordship

(Mayor of Whangapoua)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2003 at 7:29am
Naki View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Can anyone tell me which is the preferred method to flush if you own one of the later outboards, which have a screw on hose fitting on the top of the motor, or is it still recommended to use ear muffs.

We used to use Macs on our other boat, but our mechanic said there was no need as the modern outboards are so good and don't corrode.

cheers

President of the "Pontoon Owners Club".
I started off with nothing and now I still have most of it left!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2003 at 8:06am
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Naki,

vide supra

obald

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Martini Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2003 at 9:53am
Martini Max View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I use the connection to the motor, and every now and then wash in a half 200 l plastic drum (leave the water running or you'll pump it out.) When the HPDI's came out, I talked with the Yam. service Expert at a Demo evening. He recomended using the flush connection on their motors, but did mention that to get the desired result, good water pressure is needed. This may be what Obald is refering to...
Along garden hose has too much pressure drop from the tap to the outlet(the bit you're holding. A short hose with good pressure is fine, and gets the water to where it does good.
I park my boat on a pad at the beach, where the tap is right behind the motor. I have cut down a hunk of hose to about 12 feet, and get heaps of water thru the notor.
Capt A parks his boat in front of my bach, and uses the whole length of the hose and another, and barely gets water out of the telltale. Just goes to show...
Cheers guys.

"I do nothing..I do it well.. I then move on to doing more of nothing"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2003 at 1:39pm
Naki View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi.

Curious as to how the connection on the motor works, does it  use the water pump to distribute the work, or just water pressure and gravity?

Cheers

President of the "Pontoon Owners Club".
I started off with nothing and now I still have most of it left!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Knightowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2003 at 7:33pm
Knightowl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just a couple a words

Diconencting th efuel hose, Not a good Idea as said earlier as the upper cylinders run lean/HOT as they run out. The possible damage caused is not worth the risk.

If you want to drain the carbs, do it after flushing, manually at the drain screws on each carb, a much safer option.