how do you catch those fooocking grey mullet??!!

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 4:27pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 6:03pm
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

seawolf you have to know where the mullet are in ohiwa harbour. bloody heaps of them in there :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 6:14pm
pure--lure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

dint realise they were hard to catch although only on caught them on bait, quite powerful when hooked used 6kg line with small hook and earth worm worked last time i tried that sprats like it to though
http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 6:38pm
Jwest View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

nice work PJC, there is hope!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 3:52pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The challenge is to get them on fly... We accepted there were other ways LOL
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 4:20pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Clark Reid Clark Reid wrote:

The challenge is to get them on fly... We accepted there were other ways LOL
i guess when the doe fall off and your left with the flasher and hook would that be considered as a fly?due to the fact they would rise to the surface and when they did packed together under an old plastic bag
at the start of the thread it was only mentioned to ask a fly fisherman,not who can catch on a fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote harry mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 6:22pm
harry mike View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

haha funny story, i was at whiti marina and i tried foul hooking them for bait and i foul hooked a few but didnt land any coz they got off and i had a little jack seguroid pencil on and after about the 50th cast i felt a few knocks so i struck and i was tight and line was screaming off so i thought i had a rat kingi on but i turned its head and nek minit a mullet pops up with a stickbait hanging out of its mouth!! i think the mullet hit the lure out of aggression as when i pulled the mullet out of the water it had about 3 hook marks on its back!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 9:54am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

any more success on this?pond down the road has them back again,so went down this morning looking like the village idiot armed with crumbs to get mullet up off the bottom,tossed out a hook with green wool to imitate some weed and certainly created interest but no luck,might try in the evening?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 1:21pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I'm surprised you've even got any hanging around. All the mullet around here seem to be out at sea spawning somewhere. I'd imagine that any mullet you've got there would be cold and not feeding much... not that this would make any difference to your chances...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 5:22pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do they move around s bit Craig? I speared one at the Mokes a while back. Was a bit weird I thought.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 8:19pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Seem too. We get big schools around the wharf when they're coming (spring) and going (autumn). Have witnessed thick surface schools all scum feeding like parore out around the islands in deep winter. They are quite catchable in this state and will suck in a small fly floated their way. Don't think it's a real legit catch though. They are also reported doing this at the same time of year in Sydney Harbour. Some literature suggests it is a spawning activity. In the Mediterranean they do it and migrate right into the middle of the Med in order to find water of the right salinity.

I have also seen those quick rock hugging schools right on the edge of the wash at Cape Brett in high summer. Seems like a strange place for them to be. 

Very versatile species that obviously gets around and can survive in lots of different habitats.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sinful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 10:02pm
sinful View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Florida Mullet ......caught on a Fly !

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted
armed men, and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”
- Hemingway.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 10:29pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I caught some once on a fly that was tied to resemble an arrow. I needed an unconventional casting technique though. On a more serious note they are very wary and even lifting a bow put them down so would require some serious stalking. But I guess fly fishermen are well used to that :-)
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 5:50am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yes John (sinful) that looks like a mullet to me. Did you jag it ? LOL Wink

Smudge, an arrow through the brain is too good for most of them...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 8:04am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

they seem to spook with any shadow thats why I was thinking of evening when hopefully more active on the feeding front,where I go they seem to swim up the drain at high tide get trapped in the lagoon and go out on next tide,more fresh than salt water,last lot had very mushy flesh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaimaikid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 7:00pm
kaimaikid View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I read somewhere once that tuna bombs can be very effective.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 8:05am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sun shining, mullet schooling, sickness returning...

Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 10:03am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You don't have to do this Craig.  Have you considered a methadone program instead?  LOL

Na Im with you brother.  When there out on the surface, how can you not pop a cast in and hope for the best.   

Good luck and cant wait to see if you can get a few.   Iv found a black ant pattern to work sporadically, but that was with fish in the Swan River Western Australia. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 11:59am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, totally bonkers Wacko but it sure is nice standing in warm water on a sunny day casting at a multitude of splashing fish. The whole hooking fish thing is highly overrated Smile

An ant pattern is on my "to-do" list, but I can't say I ever seen the local mullet sipping insects off the surface. My only success has been on a small lime green rabbit fur pattern, but it could have been just luck. I generally tie up a few different patterns every year to try before I get totally despondent about it all again and give up. 

One of these days...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 6:17pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea mate, one day you will crack it.  I tell you what, when you do it will be on everyone's bucket list.  Mini milkfish for sure and there out there in there thousands. 

Yea im sure they weren't taking it considering it was an ant, but must look something like something else they were eating?  Lime green rabbit fur makes more sense to me.  Maybe take a leaf out of the book the milkfish guys are using?  Just a though as they are very similar fish. 
Page  <123>