FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do I safety send out a non-GPS kontiki, solo?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I safety send out a non-GPS kontiki, solo?
    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 7:54pm
BlueMarlin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze


Joined: 28 May 2019
Status: Offline
Points: 33
I understand I have to use the line to steer it out to sea but I'll be by myself at night time.

The hooks will already be on the line of course but then I have to use the line to steer it.

My question is; how do I steer the kontiki using the mainline, without getting a hook in my arm or hand?
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 7:51am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium


Joined: 14 Oct 2013
Location: Sth Auckland
Status: Offline
Points: 8746
A good head lamp and knowing the danger, also means caution.

It is no different to say pulling an anchor up with a capstan...pay attention to what you are doing..not looking up when someone talks to you And thats not a hook, that loosing a couple fingers at sea.

From memory. old school home made KTs.. 2x galv down pipe as pontoons and a square sail... there was enough length on mainline to set up in surf, then clear, get back to shore as the hooks dragged out

Havnt done a KT since those days

PS dont rely on a good pair of side cutters to cut off a hook if do inbed one will never do the job... A small pair of bolt cutters in the tool box.
 Try it at home and see.. ever on a stand 4/0 hook
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 6:07pm
BlueMarlin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze


Joined: 28 May 2019
Status: Offline
Points: 33
Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

A good head lamp and knowing the danger, also means caution.

It is no different to say pulling an anchor up with a capstan...pay attention to what you are doing..not looking up when someone talks to you And thats not a hook, that loosing a couple fingers at sea.

From memory. old school home made KTs.. 2x galv down pipe as pontoons and a square sail... there was enough length on mainline to set up in surf, then clear, get back to shore as the hooks dragged out

Havnt done a KT since those days

PS dont rely on a good pair of side cutters to cut off a hook if do inbed one will never do the job... A small pair of bolt cutters in the tool box.
 Try it at home and see.. ever on a stand 4/0 hook


Okay, I'll invest in a small pair of bolt cutters.  Hopefully you're right and I won't have to steer it once it gets to the hooks and past the surf.


Thanks
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 6:48pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
Avatar

Joined: 04 Apr 2010
Location: papakura
Status: Offline
Points: 10309
Hey "Steps" I can remember the old boy use to set a kontiki and to drop the sail ,I think use a barley sugar?as it dissolved the sail dropped.
water water everywhere,how many fish does it hold?
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 9:32pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Gold
Gold


Joined: 05 Jul 2009
Location: Perth WA
Status: Offline
Points: 831
Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Hey "Steps" I can remember the old boy use to set a kontiki and to drop the sail ,I think use a barley sugar?as it dissolved the sail dropped.

And it worked a treat. I used to do the same. Also rigged it so that when the barley sugar melted a weight would be released and slide down the main line. This was to slow any drift and to keep the baits on or near the bottom.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 10:37pm
BlueMarlin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze


Joined: 28 May 2019
Status: Offline
Points: 33
Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Hey "Steps" I can remember the old boy use to set a kontiki and to drop the sail ,I think use a barley sugar?as it dissolved the sail dropped.


My Grandfather and old man would use a icecube to drop the sail, this is going back 40-50 years ago.  Their best was two fish on one set.......two really big fish......a bronze whaler and a 30lb snapper.

I guess back in those days it was "go big or go home."
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 9:31am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium


Joined: 14 Oct 2013
Location: Sth Auckland
Status: Offline
Points: 8746
And it worked a treat. I used to do the same. Also rigged it so that when the barley sugar melted a weight would be released and slide down the main line. This was to slow any drift and to keep the baits on or near the bottom.

Yep.. a fencing staple banged into the stern cross member.
When the barley sugar disolved, was about 20/25 mins from memory, and sail dropped you knew you where fishing.
 The advantage of the square sail setup is the sail could be set at an angle depending on wind.


this is going back 40-50 years ago.
 Yep early to mid 60s..
Was about then the plastic bags came into general use and adapted to KT.
 Even back then the old man used to curse them and plastic going to be a problem.

Their best was two fish on one set

The old man used to do very well back in those days before our coast line got raped by the big overseas factory ships and their trawlers coming inside at night, due to the 12mile international economic limits.
 Lot of the fish where given away to ppl on the beach, and even more in our neighborhood.
 Not 'limits' in those days.
 
His hangouts where
Mangawhai surf beach on on other side of dunes.
 Langs. Pakiri and Auckland west coast beaches.

Now from memory, he used to choose spots carefully....a little eight side of a rip, less surf and the rip would take it out faster.
 Bait was dried trevelly and semi dried leathery very smelly squid.
Hooks where mustard.. about all could get in those days, recurve.. again a 'new' concept.
 Hooks tied with a clinch...and to get traces all the same length for the board, easy, Polmar. but was called something else back then.

I know many have issues tieing traces the right length...
 Attach hooks (I now use the no knot snell)
Put hook in the slot on the board, measure to where the clip slots in.. dont stretch.
 Mark or pinch a fold in the trace.
Keeping folded (on the mark), pass thru the clip/swivel eye.
Then make the 1/2 hitch.. still holding the fold.
Take up over the clip and hold the fold and bottom of the clip eye together and pull thru the tag ends
Just before the knot pulls up.. still loose.. pull either end to set the fold/ mark on the clip eye even .
 The making of the knot, takes up just enough of the trace length to have just enough stretch to hold on the trace board.





Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 8:26pm
BlueMarlin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze


Joined: 28 May 2019
Status: Offline
Points: 33
Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:



I know many have issues tieing traces the right length...
 Attach hooks (I now use the no knot snell)
Put hook in the slot on the board, measure to where the clip slots in.. dont stretch.
 Mark or pinch a fold in the trace.
Keeping folded (on the mark), pass thru the clip/swivel eye.
Then make the 1/2 hitch.. still holding the fold.
Take up over the clip and hold the fold and bottom of the clip eye together and pull thru the tag ends
Just before the knot pulls up.. still loose.. pull either end to set the fold/ mark on the clip eye even .
 The making of the knot, takes up just enough of the trace length to have just enough stretch to hold on the trace board.



Thanks for the tips, I'm going to need this advice because I still have to do this part.
Back to Top
Forum Jump
Forum Permissions View Drop Down


This page was generated in 0.141 seconds.