Hook to line clips- what do you use.

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pannie_Dropper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 1:51pm
Pannie_Dropper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ive had such a bad run with the Mustad fastach that I feel similar about them. I'm willing to give the swivel free versions a shot though. For jigging I've gone for the jig star grommet ring things. I haven't had a chance to use them yet but read good reviews online. I can see myself losing it however when I try to get the assist hook on the smaller solid ring. It's just gonna be hooks in fingers all over the show
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 4:28pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Kaveman Micro Ridgeback Orange Lumo 30g. An unbelievably effective jig!

https://kavemantackle.co.nz/product/micro-ridgeback-orange-lumo/

If you look at the Kaveman jig in this picture, you’ll see the assits are tied straight to solid steel ring. I tie my trace directly on here I like to keep it basic and have as fewer connections between the hook and trace as possible.

If I want to change jig body I carry a small set of split ring pliers I got from kaveman, and just open up the split ring and change to another colour.

Works well for me no clips needed. Kaveman sell replacement hook sets cheap so I only change hooks when I need to. I carry a micro jig setup and a separate softbait setup so I’m not changing jigs very often.

I use the fastach clips on my softbait rod because I do change jighead weight a bit but the clips MB uses look just as good.

I use 130lb fastach clips with the ball bearings swivel on my stick bait setups cause I do change lures a lot when I’m stick baiting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 10:00pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

If you look at the Kaveman jig in this picture, you’ll see the assits are tied straight to solid steel ring. I tie my trace directly on here I like to keep it basic and have as fewer connections between the hook and trace as possible.

No doubt, that is the cleanest approach with the fewest points of failure, but I use the same rod for microjigging, softbating, eging and sometimes even trolling small hard body lures, so the ability to make rapid changes is key for me. I also don't like to have any lures attached to rods when motoring, so again, the ability to slip them off a clip works. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 10:29pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

Good stuff guys and interesting what paths various fishos have gone based on their own use experience.

I have had prefered straight line to lure in the past based on less connections less failure theory. But got thinking metal loop would make the lure work better…

Now I’m starting to change soft bait weights and am adding other lure options in one fish session and tying knots in swell/ slop / failing eyes etc  it is a challenge. 

Another question. How often do you cut off clip and re tie ? I’ve lost a couple of good fish by leaving the same knot to lure over many sessions in the past.  Guessing if tied to clip the knot wouldn’t be as punished as much by lure movement as that happens at the clip end.

I don't like to leave much up to chance, so usually re-tie leaders and knots for each trip.
Particularly if I'm on a Far North mission, or to somewhere else that I'm hoping for bigger fish - I figure when I've driven a long way and already spent money on the fuel, accommodation etc, there's no point skimping on a dollar's worth of leader. It's part of my ritual the night before a trip to tie leaders, knots etc.
I use long softbaiting rods, and leaders with the FG knot just out of the reel spool when freshly tied, so I get quite a few re-ties of jighead knots before I get down to a leader that's a bit short.

But if I'm just going to my local - say the Tamaki Strait for pannies - I won't be as worried and usually use the same rig as last time, having been hung up in the rod rack after cleaning..

Another BUT is that most experts who use loop knots recommend that you tie fresh knots for each session, given the wear that particular knot is susceptible to.
Uni, probably less necessary to re-tie, but do you really want to risk a failure?

As above, I've fished multiple local trips with the same Fastach on the end with no dramas (tied on with a Uni). Law of averages, I lose the rig to a snag once a trip anyway, if fishing in some of my regular softbaiting haunts such as Noises.

Page  <12