Help Please Motor idles but stalls at power

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 6:00pm
Hookedline&sinker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks @bazza, never use Gull but good to know. They just arent available in my area so use BP, Z or Mobil. When we go away there is a G.A.S. we use. Do you know if the caution applies to them as well?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 6:06pm
Silver
Silver

Would be eerie if the same mechanic @rusty360. What suburb is your mechanic?

Mine was smoky on restart as well. Wonder is same issue. They said resolved so keen to hear your outcome and share mine tomorrow. The tropical cyclone hasn't made it crazy but will be a bumpy session. i am going to put line in since might as well!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 6:19pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Seems you guys are getting on top of this.
Your real time experiences will be good for an increasing understanding for you and us.
More tools we can all share for future members.

A great aspect of forums like this.

The depository of info is from the members.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 7:32pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

A smoky 4 stroke is a problem. Are you sure it is smoke and not just condensation? There are many people that will tell you about the advantages of running engines on a higher octane fuel than that specified. Do NOT take advice from those people.

Hopefully you're all sorted but the plugs should have been changed at the service. A 4 stroke engine won't have an oil pump feeding oil into the fuel.

Your mechanic sounds dodgy but hopefully he has it fixed this time.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 7:54pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Hookedline&sinker Hookedline&sinker wrote:

Thanks @bazza, never use Gull but good to know. They just arent available in my area so use BP, Z or Mobil. When we go away there is a G.A.S. we use. Do you know if the caution applies to them as well?
G.A.S is BP without the additives apparently.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 8:53am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been on a raod trip just catching up now.

Couple things above
I mentioned the bulb not filling when i went to pick up and this was replaced on the spot. Apparently you should hold it vertical to use - who new?!)

The buld hast to be mounted vertical.. even if a little off (as mine is , guilty) the non return ball bearings dont sit in the seats and the fuel slowly (espec on carbs) leaks back. So you maybe anchored up for 1/2  or 1hr plus  go to fire up and doesn't quite 'catch ' couple good pumps and fires up

A mention dirty plugs..
An engine 2S or other wise that timing is set Correctly.. (and leave that to proper workshops with the proper gear, including test tanks and the testing props so can load the engine correctly) And the correct 91 octane used will run for yrs without fouling up.
What happens thu is the gaps increase, more current to drivwe the healthy sopark, more load on coils etc, and bad spark issues arise.
 Bad spark .. dirty plugs..Wink
Dirty plugs are a symptom of something else wrong

Your mechanic sounds dodgy but hopefully he has it fixed this time.

And yep I keep coming back to that...
Doesn't mean the workshop or owner is, but a doggy person on the tools is not  uncommon.

I have had U bolts installed in a very reputable workshop.. 20 to 25 lb torgue.
I walked back into the workshop, handed a cracked fuel hose to the workshop manager after a 'service'
A charging system stuffed cause the same person short cutted, by test running engine and thought a good idea multi task,to re grease the battery terminals.

The workshop quietly dealt with the matter.

And that person has been thru at least 3 other reputable workshops since.....that I know of.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rusty360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 9:20am
rusty360 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey hookline n sinker I won't name names on here I'll pm you.

If your motor is a four stroke it shouldn't be smoking at all. And definitely shouldn't be fouling plugs. I wounder if they have set the carbs up wrong and it's running super rich.

What brand outboard and year is it?

Originally posted by Hookedline&sinker Hookedline&sinker wrote:

Would be eerie if the same mechanic @rusty360. What suburb is your mechanic?

Mine was smoky on restart as well. Wonder is same issue. They said resolved so keen to hear your outcome and share mine tomorrow. The tropical cyclone hasn't made it crazy but will be a bumpy session. i am going to put line in since might as well!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 12:59pm
Silver
Silver

Agreed and makes sense @Mattoo.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 1:04pm
Silver
Silver

Noted PCJ thanks for the heads up.

Ok thanks Steps. Really hoping this is sorted now and have flagged the session today. Cyclone Cody and Tonga tsunami with warnings up coast spooked us so will try next weekend weather permitting.
I saw it was all to be done by 4am but given the luck so far didn't want to chance it.

Bit of a worry that mechanic Steps. I did ask the business owner to make sure he had a look at it himself. Nothing against newbies but for an ongoing problem felt like it needed an experienced eye.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 1:05pm
Silver
Silver

i'll PM you rusty360.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 2:29pm
Silver
Silver

just noticed I didn't reply to this one...cheers smudge...was pretty black grey smoke when upped the choke on restarts.

Noted feedback on higher octane fuel. certainly learned my lesson.

yes agreed...any plug issue should have been well sorted

I find it hard to tell whether it's was something he missed on purpose or accident. the next question is- even if fboat goes fine, do I take it back to him for any further work given he now knows the boat.hopefully something I won't have to deal with for a while!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 10:27pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A 4 stroke running really rich will make grey smoke, too much choke?
Shouldn't need a lot of choke at all after a 10 seconds or so of running.

you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 9:22pm
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Do a leak down test on each cylinder on the compression stroke when both vales are closed you may have valves not seating and leaking causing the smoke its best to lap the valves and replace valve stem seals
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 8:23am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I dont think there are many around who know what a leak down test is , or how to do it, these days... let alone how to find compression stroke.Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 10:48am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

I dont think there are many around who know what a leak down test is , or how to do it, these days... let alone how to find compression stroke.Wink

Probably more than you may think Steps. Plenty of clever young people around who know lots of practical stuff. Just because stuff is 'old school' doesn't necessarily make it better.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 8:13am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Probably more than you may think Steps.

Or not.. been around far too many vintage and rod clubs/ shows/events over recent yrs.. leak down often gets a blank look..

And old school is not "better" its just being able to tdc on firing stroke without a piston stop...dont think there are many now who know what that is either..let alone have one in their home workshop.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 11:16am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Most people wouldn't need one though. Certainly not needed to diagnose this fault.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 1:59pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Refer back to Durbans post..
Funny how know one mentioned dont need TDC Wink for leak down.. on the other hand having such a fault, good practice is to find TDC while at it, by piston position, establish timing marks ,  are actually correct, no slop in key ways, perished rubbers in balances etc....

Also an old school trick.. is it worn valve guides or rings?
Mark the plugs as they sit in the head... pull the plug, carbon on the bottom, rings , carbon on the top valves

And if doing leak down.. dont do what have seen done so many times.. grab the compression tester, bring up the pressure and pressure stays the same...because still got the valve in the end of the gauge...

Smoke... 4S... timing, mixture , rings/ valve seals (espec if on initial fire up)often a combo of the above.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 3:06pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

OK
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 6:53pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This motor is a 2S merc so I don’t see where all the talk above has any relevance.
Page  <12