Help New rod and reel for LB

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mwahaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help New rod and reel for LB
    Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 1:42pm
mwahaha View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, pretty new to these forums. I have done a lot of trout spinning on rivers when i was younger and living in the central north island, and i have decided i want to get back to land based lure fishing with hard bodies and softbait. My spinning gear however is shot, just plain worn out so i need a new setup for salt water as i now live in wellington. I'm a little stumped as to what i should get as the options seem endless compared to when i bought my old gear. 

I have my eye on a shimano catana nano 7'9"  http://www.fishermansloft.co.nz/shop/show_single_product.php?prod=288 
Has anyone used one of those rods? 

Or would something like an 8'3" crucis styx 

or Anyfish Anywhere 9'

or Anyfish Anywhere 8' 

I dont want to be just winching the fish in, however i am unsure just how light i should go with the gear, kahawai in a river or river mouth can put up quite a fight.
Also i dont really want to spend more than $300 on a rod and reel, however if i need to save longer to get something more suitable/better quality/longer lasting so be it. My old gear put up with around 16 years of abuse and gave me a lot of enjoyment.

Thanks in advance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mwahaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 1:55pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 3:01pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/rock-shore-base-soft-baiting-n00b_topic105245.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 3:40pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

more good info here:

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/few-pics-of-land-bassed-lure-caught-fish_topic91109.html

i have the shimano jungle stix 9' 5-10kg that i use for soft baits and a finnor ultralight 9' 6-12kg that is my snapper/lure rod

plenty of other options including CD extrasense nano and orka spin rods 
and heaps of cheaper 7'6"/8' softbait rods from the big suppliers.

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 4:46pm
Jwest View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'd have to second the jungle stix, I don't own one but they look good, 9' / 9'6" is perfect length I reckon, there's quite a few rods designed for salmon that will work well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mwahaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 7:17pm
mwahaha View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by rockz rockz wrote:

plenty of other options including CD extrasense nano and orka spin rods 

Do you know where i could find more info on the orka rods? The CD site isnt very helpful 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 7:44pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

probably best to give them a call, i had the rep bring some in for me to look at - 8'6" and 9'
very nice with a split butt design.