Help forShort Corner - Lack of Success

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help forShort Corner - Lack of Success
    Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 12:36pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One trip apart, when we had hits and fish tagged, on BM Purple Predator and Pakula Evil Animal, we have only had one other fish in many years (BM Fugly).
Used all the lures that get recommended as well as a few other, including a BP Havoc - a Mouldcraft-like chugger which runs great.
What lures have others had regular action on?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 12:38pm
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Get a Black Purple Beer Barrel, new ones with slap skirts (Think NZ is sold out) or Frigate, Hot Frigate Rat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TAZEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 1:43pm
TAZEE View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I run a moldcraft lumo in the snr wide range and have had great success myself,5 blues in 2 years have nailed it......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 2:10pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Despite running a variety of excellent lures in that position, and catching a few fish while doing so, the SC is the least productive position on my boat. I have always assumed that this is a result of the wake pattern (on my boat), because there has been a heap of very good lures swim in that position mostly getting less attention than the would in the other positions. Interestingly, my LC is generally (but not always - last year it was the SR) the most productive position. I think this year I will try dropping my SC back into a 2nd 'LC' position for a day or two and see what happens. Your problem may be more to do with the wake than the lures. Having said all that, I have on a number of occasions had marlin come through the pattern straight up to the SC, with eyes only for that lure, so it is all a bit of guess work really.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 2:22pm
Double Shot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes very interesting...

Not got a marlin yet but last year was my first real season chasing them my SC was smashed numerous times with 2 hook ups that were dropped, all on a Zuker 5.5 B/P. ( I have a bungie with a Boone bird and and 5 skirts on the first wave right infront of the SC)
I will note that I run mine on the Port side on the 2nd wave, my boat I have only recently found out runs a left hook motor, so Question does that have anything to do with the number of hits it gets...
My Starboard bungie seems to be the one that gets smashed 90% of the time by tuna...Question

I wonder if the way the prop turns where we put bugies and SC/LC makes a difference... just my musing, others thoughts are welcome...
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 2:36pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Roy a Cleopatra size 22 is wicked, but don't take my word for it though,Wink. another that gets run there and same results just different time of the season is a Bonze Argonaute, the long corner only ever gets changed out by a broadbill angry squid again different time of the season for him to get run as well.

my s/c lure is the port side also mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Latitude35south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 6:06pm
Latitude35south View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Pacific Fruit Salad.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 7:44pm
Sambosi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Zuker BP ZM7 changed a drought to the most popular spot on the boat last season, although I do sometimes run it as a LC lure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 8:41pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Could be lots of things unfortunately - especially given a lot of the variables that come into play with a lure, come into play even more with a Short corner lure  due to the peculiarities of that position
Prop wash windows to run it (closer or further back).  This is also going to to influenced by conditions on day as well.  Could even be infuenced by proximity of other lure -say your short rigger -where fish constantly prefer your attractive short rigger option over a more lazy less attractive SC option.
Also important (and again subject to the conditions) is the angle lure is being run at - whether its better to band down low on a short tag line near waterline , or somewhere higher up, or perhaps leave running off the rod tip.
And finally the lure itself - I don't think there are to too many hard in fast rules on what lure you should run (heavy plunger heads and dark skirts) - I'd simply be looking for a lure that works.
Heads that might work: Bonze tracker or agronaut, Zucker 5.5, Legend Enki, Joe Yee Appollo
Skirts that might work are: Black purple and silver, black and purple, black purple over silver and pink, and lastly evil colours.
Short Corner bites are the best -especially seeing a marlin - chase in and line up, bill and eventually eat a lure right at back of the boat.
I run mine less than 2 meters off the back of my boat and had sucesss.  When its sitting that close I can't even see it from the driving positon of my stabi.
Good luck.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 8:44pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bonze scorpion in short, dives deep and its a good SC lure, also the Blackbart/joeyee super plunger, we have caught a few up short on them, the old williamson african queen pulled plenty of interest. is big loud lure up short is good i reckon imho
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 8:53pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Legend Vulcan

BM super stripy 2
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 8:58pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bushpig Bushpig wrote:

Legend Vulcan

BM super stripy 2

id love a vulcan in shell head, there was talk of it but havent seen it yet 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 1:40pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Peter P - what is this lure - a hard head - it runs very well in close but isn't big?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 3:14pm
Platinum
Platinum

It's called the 'Patriot' bigger size was the chaterbox, and bigger again the Bremilo.

The lure at the bottom was called a Chaos turbine, except the turine jammed and it became a spinning lure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 4:37pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Peter!
From your web site:- 
"The Patriot is the short corner secret weapon"!!
Actually the Chaos Grander's turbine still spins smoothly - it also hugs  and weaves on the short corner.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 6:30pm
Platinum
Platinum

If it's weaving the turbine is sticking Roy. If it isn't it's worth a mint, cause it's the only one known. I think you mean out of the water it spins smoothly :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 7:28pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, it does spin out of the water.
Will run it again and watch, carefully!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 7:52pm
Platinum
Platinum

Roy just put 1.5 kg of lead in front of it on the leader, but lead so it's on the face, not just the leader tube which proably moves, hold it up and see if the turbine spins. 1.5kg is the pressure on the face of a lure like that a 7 knots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 2:21am
Roddy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If your boat is single-engined, then the rotation of your propellor can indeed have a great effect on your spread and it is well worth swopping the whole spread symmetrically to see if that is a simple solution to your fish-rasing ratio. On Anguilla,  we always had better bites with the SC on the same side as the prop turned TOWARDS. Most other single-engine boats I have run have had the same characteristic, though one was the complete opposite  - Lara Jade. Go figure, grin.

Once, I thought a loud top-water slant head was the best bet for a short corner lure, and while that may be still a good option in flat calm water where you can control the lure very effectively, a deep diver is my choice of SC bait now. An Andromeda or a Vulcan are my first selections, but I know many of our clients also have great success with a Piper or a Krakatoa there too. Their reasoning is that these lures stick in and don't need much looking after, but still raise plenty of fish. As well as Pete's choice, other good lures that I have personally used with success include Marlin Magic's Big Dog, Bart's 1994 Grander Candy, Big T's Kwagga, Big T's Zulu Impy (a much better lure than Bart's Zulu in this position because it has much sharper edges, Jo Yee 505 and Sadu's Calcutta (I'm showing my age here....).  Things with a really short slant head can be difficult to run here, and some light heads are also a problem.  I know a fella in Kerikeri who actually has great success with our 16 series Dragon on his SC, but that's a another story. Colour-wise, I'd go with dark colours as my first choice.  Black and purple, black and red, black and gold and black are all good choices to start with.

That Chaos lure was a terrible bit of crap when they first came out. I do not know if they ever sorted them out but a friend of the manufacturer brought a bagful to Madeira in 1995 as freebies for all the boats. No one ever caught a thing on them  -  no offence, Mr Chaos, should you ever read this thread..... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 12:06pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My Contenders:-
Boss says - NO MORE LURES! so will have to manage with what I have, even if it means a permanent marker pen to change colour.
Thanks, Roddy - Chaos ain't popular, eh?? The Chaos really does run nicely but never caught anything.

Page  12>