Grunter Hunter 2021

Page  <1 23456 7>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:29pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And there I was thinking I would finally get to fish one! 2022 will be my year...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:46pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by deacs deacs wrote:

And there I was thinking I would finally get to fish one! 2022 will be my year...

Sorry Deacs, we don't make these decisions lightly, but yeah good luck for 2022, like The Warriors I hope it is your year! We will refund if you already have a ticket
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:47pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Thanks guys - will have a crack at 20th.
Alan

Thanks Alan & Bazza 2 less phone calls to make Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:05pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Postponement noted , but my plan A still stands Thumbs Up
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 7:49am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Thanks guys - will have a crack at 20th.
Alan

Yeah ... but you failed to mention that in the interim we will both be living on possum pie !
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote baitcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 3:59pm
baitcatcher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Bazza will forget to bring his fishing rod, anchor, berley or something.
Boat , he'll forget the boat........

Ahh, you guy's obviously don't know Bazza like I do,
A word of advise to Alan A, I know Barry will be driving his luxury motorhome and Alan will be towing Barry's boat to stay overnight at Te Toro for a bright and early start.
While parked up after a dinner of "possum pie"(it's quiet enjoyable with Watties tomato sauce, & a couple of rums or three ....😊)

If Barry falls asleep after dinner and you can see the night stars he be sleeping in his boat and will probably be freezing in the morning.......

also if Barry tell you at the ramp to let him know while launching, when the back wheels are covered with water,it's probably his motorhome!, just let him know to pull back out and to remember the motorhome has no rod-holder's.

Good luck Alan,all the best😉.
     I've personally really enjoyed a few overnite stays myself in Barry's motorhome 😊.

Photo of Barry really enjoying his fav meal of a hearty possum stew.

The memory of Barry and I waiting 3 odd hours for the tide to come back in after running aground on the Kaipara harbour,(he couldn't see the sand banks as his new 12inch sounder was in the way of the windscreen)
a little scary as a lightning and rain storm ​was heading towards us and we were in his aluminum boat high and dryĺ!(it did give me time to fillet our usual catch of Snapper,Gurnard & kahawai )

Baitcatcher
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 4:13pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmm - now I am wondering what I have signed up for.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 5:18pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Alan

Tough ..... no refunds.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 6:12pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Alan

That's only the start of it Alan Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 1:37pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by baitcatcher baitcatcher wrote:

[QUOTE=Skoti] [QUOTE=kitno]Bazza will forget to bring his fishing rod, anchor, 

If Barry falls asleep after dinner and you can see the night stars he be sleeping in his boat and will probably be freezing in the morning.......

The memory of Barry and I waiting 3 odd hours for the tide to come back in after running aground on the Kaipara harbour,(he couldn't see the sand banks as his new 12inch sounder was in the way of the windscreen)
a little scary as a lightning and rain storm ​was heading towards us and we were in his aluminum boat high and dryĺ!(it did give me time to fillet our usual catch of Snapper,Gurnard & kahawai )

Baitcatcher

Doubt if either of us will forget that day in a hurry Vinnie.

My recollection of events as follows :-

A weather bomb of severe magnitude was forecast for about the time we had planned on a days fishing, but as the time drew near so did severe forecast weather warnings. In retrospect was probably the dreaded "calm before the storm" however there was barely a whisper of wind so we opted to go ahead as planned  with both of us agreeing if conditions showed any sign of deteriorating then we would make a bolt back to the ramp.

Seem to recall the fishing was steady & a couple of times jet black clouds swept across the horizon but did not come our way so kept on fishing. Not long after our luck ran out when the clouds changed direction on a path directly towards us so was up anchor & off but with both the boat & storm moving rapidly was not long before we were on a collision course into torrential rain & near zero vision making the channel marker stakes almost invisible ... Then suddenly we momentarily caught sight of one thru the dark blanket of rain so took off at full throttle in that general direction. What we had failed to notice there was an intermediate marker off to our left
meaning we were heading straight for a sand bar ... a fact that as the pic shows became quite apparent when we found ourselves high & dry on a falling tide.

Not long after that mother nature released her full fury in the form of buckets full of rain but of far greater concern accompanied with a constant barrage of lightning bolts & deafening claps of thunder that seemed to be getting closer by  the minute. The rain was such we chose to run the bilge pump rather than risk the weight & suction preventing the boat from floating up with the tide when it eventually arrived.

After what seemed an eternity the conditions eased so I jumped over the side to see if the boat could be rocked in order to help break the suction when the tide eventually returned which proved to be an exercise in futility upon sinking to my knees in mud ... using up any reserves of energy in the formidable task of struggling back in the boat ... certainly not a comfortable situation to find yourself in .... stuck firmly in the mud with a rising tide & in falling light.

The oyster boat on its' way in stopped to see if it could help but faced the same problem of deep mud preventing them from doing so ... we had managed to contact CG advising we were not in any real danger unless the boat failed to float ... but if so, they would not have made it on time anyway leaving only two options of either float in our life jackets secured by rope to the sunken boat or attempt to "belly swim" across the mud to the shore.

Eventually to our great relief the tide came in, the boat floated & the motor started, followed by a cautious return in the rank in the dark. 

One thing we did debate when the lightning was at it's peak was should we take the rods down from the rocket launcher where  they could act as lightning rods or risk something else (including us) about the boat to be struck.

Does anyone know the answer to that ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 1:46pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got anything like that planned for the 20th Bazza?
Sounds like fun.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 4:27pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Got anything like that planned for the 20th Bazza?
Sounds like fun.
Alan

Nothing as tame as that ... however if our proposed day out on the Kaipara eventuates we will be quite close to the RNZAF bomb range, so painting a bullseye on the top of the canopy, advise them there will be a marine target then see how many bombs we can dodge .......

Would that be the type of thing you would consider fun ?????????
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 4:37pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=bazza][QUOTE=baitcatcher] [QUOTE=Skoti] 

[QUOTE=kitno]Bazza will forget to bring his fishing rod, anchor, 

We heard he had lost/misplaced his false teeth...

Found them! LOL

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:12am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My recollection of events as follows :- ........

It is days, events like this , that if did not happen, one turns out to be a very boring old grandfather with no stories AND lessons for the grandchildren...
Its also noted, such events are usually remembered with humour and a sort of a fondness.

And glad to see you back in the forms Vinnie...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:17am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

My recollection of events as follows :- ........

It is days, events like this , that if did not happen, one turns out to be a very boring old grandfather with no stories AND lessons for the grandchildren...
Its also noted, such events are usually remembered with humour and a sort of a fondness.

And glad to see you back in the forms Vinnie...

I cant wait. Roll on the 20th.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:36am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

We heard he had lost/misplaced his false teeth...

Found them! LOL

/QUOTE]

Hey Al ( aka Catchelot )

Is that the same critter that pecked a hole in your inflatable doll ... ie your favourite one amongst your collection with all the life like features and functions including a set of dentures.

You must be heart broken .....................
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 10:56am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Weather looking much more promising for the 20 th than the build up to the previous date of the 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1b5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 9:48pm
1b5 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Bazza & I went for a pre comp & caught these little critters

He was over the moon to land THE biggest carrot of the day!LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 10:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's a nice fish for Bazza. Did you guys get a length measure on it? Best I be checking his fish for freezer burn Big smile

Pity your pic is cut off at the neck, would make a good photo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 7:43am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No freezer burn - it is in Bazzas live bait tank :-)
ooops.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  <1 23456 7>