Growth in snapper

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Getthegaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Growth in snapper
    Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:04pm
Getthegaff View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Recently I caught a bunch of snapper. When I filleted they had hard balls (similar to the backbone color and density) but they were in random places. Any one know what this is? I took a couple of pictures.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:14pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

have seen those myself in the past, but only once or twice, not sure what they are.
Perhaps send those pics to the marine lab at leigh.
Could possibly be a condition known as hyperostosis.

It is found in snapper. The big bony ridge on the heads of snapper ,or the lump on the nose of some australian snapper is this condition.
Is basically excessive bone growth,cause unknown.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:54pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't know, but nothing to worry about, I see it quite a lot. Enjoy your fillets Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 5:45pm
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very common, see them all the time.
I've been told but don't have any proof that they are a means of storage for calcium/nutrients.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 5:55pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep see them all the time, more so in older/larger fish it seems. Just a minor inconvenience when filleting but nothing to worry about I don't think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 8:47am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

They seem to start forming in snapper once they get over 40cm or so. I've never really paid attention to it but I suspect all snapper get like that once they are bigger. They are always in the same area so I've always thought they are meant to be there.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 9:34am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Having moved from east to west coast, it seems far more common on the west.
A little different on the east position more random and in smaller fish as well.. Have put it down to maybe a bone break or damage maybe from escaping a net /crushed or escaped a bigger preditor when young
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 10:59am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Having moved from east to west coast, it seems far more common on the west.
A little different on the east position more random and in smaller fish as well.. Have put it down to maybe a bone break or damage maybe from escaping a net /crushed or escaped a bigger preditor when young

While I've never thought to find out, I'm pretty sure it's just a natural phenomenon. Let me find out from an expert.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 12:11pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah, no expert here, but it just gets labelled as Hyperostosis and has an unknown cause. I get asked about it a lot so it's pretty common and nobody has died yet from eating a snapper that has them. I see them with free floating lumps in their flesh as well that are not connected to any bones. Maybe an immune response of some sort.

Let's just say that the great majority of snapper look pretty darned good. I'd hate to think what we'd see if we regularly examined the guts and flesh of most of the human population
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 1:20pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Yeah, no expert here, but it just gets labelled as Hyperostosis and has an unknown cause. I get asked about it a lot so it's pretty common and nobody has died yet from eating a snapper that has them. I see them with free floating lumps in their flesh as well that are not connected to any bones. Maybe an immune response of some sort.

Let's just say that the great majority of snapper look pretty darned good. I'd hate to think what we'd see if we regularly examined the guts and flesh of most of the human population

Thanks for your input there FishMan. Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 7:28pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Here you go Getthegaff (great real name btw). FishMan pointed me in the right direction with a name for the condition so I search for pagrus auratus (NZ snapper) + hyperostosis and Dr Google came up with this:

It looks far too boring for me to read, so welcome your translations