Great barrier mobile phone reception.

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great barrier mobile phone reception.
    Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 6:40pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm a spark user, don't shoot me.
I use it because in the main I get coverage for fishing.

Until I went to Barrier.

Absolutely shocking.

It seems beyond belief that the coverage is so useless when it is a easy and soveable solution.

Put up towers and good ones.

There seems to me however some points to consider.

Good reception for those on the water can be life saving.
Emergency contact, weather downloads for preparation and information.

Then there's the consideration of the locals.
They may not want an ugly tower, they may want to keep pristine as possible a true gem in our Eco system.

They may not want the access to such systems to protect the unique nature of such an environment.

I'm a bit split on those.

However as a boatie,

" it's a must fix"!
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 6:49pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mate - we fish with no coverage all the time. Not even on land.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 7:04pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

were you eastern side mainly?

the coverage is pretty much concentrated at the harbours on the western side. There are both Voda and Spark towers on Kaikoura Island but the terrain is so steep that there are patches without reception even in Fitzroy harbour itself, Ghost (aka Wairahi) Bay for example)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 7:11pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"MATTOO" eveything youve related too shows the need for a good vhf radio unless its important to ring family while away.

Barrier radio still going or did it finally close down,remember reading something a yr or 2 back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 7:34am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks PJC,

VHF was fine for us.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 8:33am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

spark user

However as a boatie,
" it's a must fix"!

I think you may have answered the question
 1st spark is a company that only does stuff because there is a population base to support a profit..
Not a government dept that may get allocated funds for such a service, or a service organisation, ie coast gaurd  or St Johns that can afford to sponser the cost.

Yes the Government wants full coverage in NZ.. eventually, but it still has a lot of remote small  residential communities to service.

Also as our telecommunications are now spilt between quite a few companies, not the single old Government run Telecom, it is a loorty as to which company would see putting up a tower 1st, which only services their customers, and how soon the other companies decide to rent tower space to put their repeaters up.... All to share tiny little customer base

As to the saftey side of things.. Companies dont give their heart a rub.. they only do things .. so called , non profit... if the publicity is enough to be big enough to bring in profits that would more than cover the expense and service costs...

eg mcdonald house..that gives publicity and company presence in the market to future generations, at a low cost for large profit in the future.

Edit:
 There are excepts thu.. like small local usually owner operated business that donate goods, prices , and time to local clubs.. such as local fishing club competitions.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 9:37am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

MATTOO, sorry you could not use your cellphone at the Barrier.
Life is tough!
It has been like that for years and I do not forecast it getting better.
When you consider for half the year there are no boaties round the Northern and Eastern sides due to the weather......the cellphone companies get zero return.
Put 5000 people on the island and I gurantee service will improve.
Spark is not the Government owned pre Telecom days anymore.
VHF radio reception is great (note there are still a few dead spots) and the service offered by Emmie on Great Barrier Radio Channel 1 is superb - regular forecasts and boatie information. Join up, it is only $90 per year.  https://www.thebarrier.co.nz/marineradio.htm
Coastguard Channel 60 is reliable in most places. 
Coastguard Nowcasting weather can be very patchy......not sure why.

Personally when I am at the Barrier cell phone reception is never on my mind.
It is great to enjoy the place without haveing to check my phone ever!
So learn to live without it.

Mattoo suggest you do a course on using a sextant for navigation so you never need to use your GPS......when on holiday. That is a challenge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 11:04am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Don,
Some good info there.

Yes Emimie is great.
Nowcasting Yes unsure why that is,I know what you mean.

Cabable of using all those tools.

Gps not an issue, says for Africa in the sky.

My cell phone need was multifold.

Extra communication for some search and rescue guys I dropped off for training.
We had other contact tools in place as well.

Downloading SSTs live.

Business responsibilities.

Don't care how much it costs spark or other suppliers.
They get plenty from the rest of the country.
It's there damn social responsibility to suck it up and supply a full service that is required by the whole populations need.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 11:06am
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes Don, I remember when we thought it was great that Vodafone put a temporary cell site up on Kaikoura for a few weeks over Xmas 

VHF (including Nowcasting channels) are patchy simply because of the terrain and VHF being line of sight, it can't go around things or over them and back down the other side.

The advent of 700Mhz coverage (band 28) has given better distance coverage off the coast where they have installed sites that use it bit it is still subject to the same issues when it hits obstacles. But you can improve your coastal cell reception by ensuring you have a phone that supports 700Mhz band 28, not all do unfortunately.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote widerange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 12:12pm
widerange View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hell yea gotta be able to get those selfies onto fb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 8:51am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's there damn social responsibility to suck it up and supply

This is what ppl dont get, and this applies world wide and ever since the 1st limited company several 100 yrs ago.
 There is no social responsibility..
A company has a legal identity with no responsibility
 in fact shareholders can and have sued directors for doing that sort of stuff and not maximising profits within the law.

Any concept of such 'responsibility' is a misconception... right down to comms going to better nets... end of the day those better nets (practises) will have a positive effect on the long term profits of the company's...

There is no heart in a bit of paper that incorporates a company...the ink is dry, it doesn't flow like blood of a small business operator.

The above is basically how it was explained by our professor of business and economics in lectures  near 50yrs ago... with great emphasis on how the general public cant get their heads around it, generation after generation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 9:05am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The revenue gathered from a site covering the east coast of barrier would probably not even cover the ground rent that some Great Barrier hill top owner would want to charge the 'rich' phone company. Then pour a few 100 $1000's into equipment and installation. Then find a reliable way of powering it or likely install solar with the extra maintenance that will require. If you are lucky you might see 1000(?) people use the service in a year. There will still be heaps of coverage issues though due to the terrain so good coverage might require 2 or 3 sites. There are going to be other coverage 'holes' where you could serve more people better by investing the same money somewhere else. That is just the reality of planning cell network capital investments.

If I was doing coverage planning there I think one site on a high point on Arid Island, probably with an Omni, and then another one up high on the Northern end of Barrier with sectors and maybe another down by Cape Barrier but you may or may not need that one. Biggest issue outside land acquisition is going to be power. People will spend the evenings surfing the net etc and you are likely on batteries when the sun isn't shining in those locations. During peak season that could be an issue.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 9:44am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I believe Vodafone have a transmitter on the Moehau which gives ver good coverage.
As does Channel 60 also located on the Moehau.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 10:40am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

a lot comes down to type of phone,number 1 has a huawai??spark he gets reception yet  my samsung ,spark, gets nil,we can be side by side.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 1:05pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

looking at the Vodafone coverage map, they have a cell site on Kaikoura Is that is 3G and 4G 700mhz and one that looks to be on Mt Vic that is 3G, 4G and 4G 700mhz

Spark show 3G and 4G 700Mhz site at or about Mt Vic only
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 1:08pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

a lot comes down to type of phone,number 1 has a huawai??spark he gets reception yet  my samsung ,spark, gets nil,we can be side by side.

What model Samsung PJC? probably his supports 700mhz and yours doesn't. There are some differences in the internal aerials as well but usually it comes down to band support
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 1:13pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The issue is that in close to the coast on that side the only potential serious coverage can come from Arid Is. When you go in close to fish or overnight the tall peaks on Barrier won't have 'line of sight' into all the places you tuck into. Same with something on Moehau. It will cover out to sea OK, but in close you will only get pockets of coverage. Even Arid will leave pockets uncovered but it would be the best option for in close to the coast where people often fish and anchor.
A site on top of Cuvier Is would actually hit a lot of what Arid might not. But $'s........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 2:32pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by SaltyC SaltyC wrote:

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

What model Samsung PJC? probably his supports 700mhz and yours doesn't. There are some differences in the internal aerials as well but usually it comes down to band support
2015 windows and his 2015 4g  700mhz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 9:23am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Buy a 2degrees sim card and top it up with $20. Keep it on hand if you drop out of Spark coverage. 

Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 10:58am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Plug it into a battery circuit (cig lighrt or usb plug) that by pases tyhe main switch
 load up a adroid app life 365.
 Now you also have a permanent trace on the location of the boat within a few meters..
 In case of stolen.. or for the missus to see if on the way home from a trip...or if no location, where sunk...

So long as not under the cliff faces on the barrier Wink
Page  12>