FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glass Rods

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 8:57pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Had a look up the Wairoa Channel this morning to catch the last of the outgoing and first of the incoming which I find is the best time for kahawai action. Using the Echo 369-3 and a Charlie type variant that I call Barbie's charlies. Obviously, the fly is bright pink. Only wanted three kahawai, one for lunch and two for tea, and it didn't take long. All were prespawners in good condition. The first had eaten a squid and a cockabully that was still alive, and was released, the second had eaten 17 mud crabs, and the third, four mud crabs. The three provided great sport, so I will be back tomorrow morning. The three royal spoonbills that were filter feeding near me provided a perfect end to the excursion.
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 8:41pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Heres a little clip we shot of an Epic Bandito loaded up on a gulf kingi. 

It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:43pm
Silver
Silver

That's incredible footage Troutzilla. You wouldn't want to be doing that on a graphite rod. It has really opened my eyes. What was the outcome? Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 8:13pm
Silver
Silver

When the importer told me that they had one of the older model Redington Butter Sticks left, I had to have it. I was after the #3 weight, but the remaining one was a #4, a 476-3, so I grabbed it. I picked it up from Hamills in Tauranga and they gave me a very good deal. I took the rod out this morning and fished the edge of the Otumoetai Channel on the first of the incoming. I was fishing one of my Barbie's charlies flies. I saw a few bust ups, missed one kahawai and broke another off. Just thinking about backing out because of the incoming when I took a heavy strike and hooked up. The kahawai took me well into the backing twice but eventually, I brought it to the net. At very close to 2kg, a was very happy with the capture. A really good christening for the Butter Stick
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 8:48pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Can't complain about that. The Redington rods are outstanding hey? I believe THE most underrated manufacturer out there.

I'm up fishing the canals with Jaapie right now, and my wife's 6# Vice is just a brilliant stick for heavy nymphing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 9:33pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Troutzilla Troutzilla wrote:

Heres a little clip we shot of an Epic Bandito loaded up on a gulf kingi. 

Must resist............approaching bankruptcy but the allure of a 12 wt glass rod.......

https://swiftflyfishing.com/collections/fly-rod-blanks/products/epic-boca-grande-12-fly-rod-blank
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 10:02am
Jofly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great thread. Keep the pics and stories coming.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 2:19pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Mudfish marquand Mudfish marquand wrote:

That's incredible footage Troutzilla. You wouldn't want to be doing that on a graphite rod. It has really opened my eyes. What was the outcome? Cheers

Hi Mudfish,

We hooked that kingi in 3 meters of water right against the rocks with gannets raining down around us.

We managed to lead him out into 8 -10m which is where that footage was shot. He wasn't huge but fought like a demon  - about 850mm from memory.

It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 3:28pm
Silver
Silver

What a great story and a mighty picture. Quite unreal looking at the bend in the rod. I bet you cringed when you saw the footage later. Bloody good effort on the glass. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wolfie5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 8:41am
wolfie5 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A few shots of Mudfish in action with his UL Butterstick on a kahawai down in Tauranga yesterday - more to follow. Fibreglass really follows those fishy lunges!

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 9:53am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Ha ha! Brilliant! Used to love the noodle sticks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 8:01pm
Silver
Silver

Had an interesting day today fishing the Otumoetai Channel with two Rotarian friends today, for the last of the outgoing and first of the incoming. My friends were using #3 outfits, while I was using my #4 Butter Stick, with a Rio CamoLux WF3I. I was very happy how the glass 4 weight handled the lighter line, in my opinion, close to perfect. We all caught nice size kahawai. I had a pull, set the hook and the fish did a powerful and long run, testing the rod, my Sage III Click reel and 4 pound tippet to the max. After a long and sustained fight, I back out to shore and eventually landed an eagle ray foul hooked midway between the snout and wing tip. What amazed me was that the length of leader held out. I will mention the brand because it impressed me, Black Magic Deception, 4 pound, 0.18mm. Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote saqual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 7:24am
saqual View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

It was really good to watch. U handled that beautifully
Page  <12