Going Bibless - Alan Bulmer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going Bibless - Alan Bulmer
    Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 6:46am
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Here is a piece written by Alan Bulmer on Bibless lures, interesting......

Going bibless – Why should you?

There are many different types of lures available to shore based, saltwater spin fishermen. In New Zealand, metal spinners and bibbed lures are by far the most commonly used. Blade spinners (Mepps type) and weighted metal blades are steadily growing in popularity. Trout fishermen, in particular, find it easy to take their Mepps blade spinners into the salt, often with spectacular results.

One lure type that is still as popular as an ugly sister in NZ is sinking bibless minnows. What are they and why is this?

Bibless minnows are sinking lures that are shaped like a baitfish and do not possess a bib. A bibless lure is towed from a point on its back just behind the head. Generally the towing point is roughly a third to halfway from the head to the tail but this can vary.

As the lure is retrieved water is forced across the leading face of lure and around the body shape which causes it to vibrate strongly giving the appearance that it is swimming through the water. The arrow in the photograph highlights the leading face of the lure.

Bibless lures are head weighted which means they generally adopt a “head down / tail up” position during the retrieve. These lures work best when jerked (or ripped) in short bursts through the water with the rod tip. A pause is introduced between successive jerks of the lure to imitate a baitfish in distress. Bibless lures tend to bounce along the bottom and predators are attracted to the “puffs” of sediment that are displaced every time the lure touches down.

Bibless lures often have deep bodies and flat sides so they displace a lot of water during the retrieve. The strong lure vibration is readily transmitted through the water and these lures can be especially effective when water clarity is poor.

The wider the face of the bibless lure the greater the water resistance and more pronounced action. Lures with rounded or thinner faces need to be worked more aggressively and retrieved more quickly to achieve a comparable action.

The simple answer as to why they are not used is lack of exposure. There is no doubt that they work.

I’ve been using Binsky blades (http://www.fishsenselures.com/index.htm) and Yo-Zuri S 3D Vibe bibless minnows for a long time now and they are deadly on a wide selection of fish species. How deadly? Is 32 kahawai in 36 casts deadly enough?

The list of species that have been taken on these lures include:-
• Snapper
• Trevally
• Kingfish
• Parore
• Stargazer
• Yellow eyed mullet

One of the major benefits of a bibless lure is that it is working from the time that it lands in the water until it reaches the rod tip. It is important to keep the line tight to the lure at all times as it is not uncommon for predators to engulf this type of lure as soon as it hits the water and starts to flutter down through the water column. The broad flat sides of bibless lures are often coated in holographic foil or a vacuum deposited silver mirror like finish. This makes the sides highly reflective and consequently the descending lure looks remarkably similar to an injured baitfish.

Unlike a bibbed lure, bibless lures are less prone to snagging on the bottom. When the lure does snag it is often possible to flip the lure over the snag because the tow point is far enough away from the nose of the lure for it to act as a pivot point.

Grab a handful and give them a go! Like all lures you’ll need to experiment to find a retrieve that is consistently successful. When you do success is virtually guaranteed.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 9:27am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What should be included in that picture are the sebile flat shads..., they are certainly murderously effective on trout, and have proven very effective at sea as well...not by me, but then, I haven't tried them yet, something I could give a burl this week perhaps!
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 10:38am
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A flatt shad in action.My no.1 lure for kawahai.