What Line Are You Using?

Page  <1 456
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 5:23pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

FYI - if you some quality lines at a bargain basement price $20-25, RA Conaghans in Auckland office are selling off Cortland flylines as they are no longer the agents.
A few days ago I scored a salmon/steelehead WF9F with 4x 12 ft tips (floating, intermediate,medium & fast sink) for $25, and a clear intermediate WF7I for $20. Most lines are in 5-8 wts ($20) but a few lighter and heavier.
Get 'em while can at these prices!Thumbs Up

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Scapeuce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 11:55pm
Scapeuce View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I know it seems to be too good to be true, but I decided to risk 19 bucks (shipping included) and I bought one on eBay ... they say the lines are Airflo .... If someone else wants to risk those bucks too here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/371278352451?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=640401327321&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I asked for a WF12I...
Cheers,
Andres

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 6:23am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

That does sound too good to be true.

Sounds like a counterfeit product. I look forward to hearing about how you find the line Andres Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Scapeuce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:04am
Scapeuce View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sure Craig ... the first thing I thought was to wait until I had tested the line but I decided to post it when I realised there are just some  few left .....
Cheers,
Andres
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dan19585 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 8:50pm
Dan19585 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

No, looks about right. NZ seems to be the only country where consumers pay as much, if not more for an Airflo as they do for a SA or Rio. In the UK, where the seller is based, they are generally only half the price......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 9:25am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I was using a coldwater Outbound Short 7wt floater the other day with a 7ips versileader on the business end couple with a moderately heavy chunky fly tied on a 1/0 hook.

Surprisingly it all cast very well. I was pleasantly surprised at how everything rolled out and how quick and responsive the whole thing was for a fast cast (not unexpected really with that much weight forward).

For some reason though I rigged it up on the Sage Xi3 6wt. It was a little too heavy for the 6 and would have easily been at home on the 9. The lovely loops in the air however were quite a surprise and I quite liked all that tip forward weight (could easily fish the deeper holes at my feet on a short line). Definitely a combo I'll be working with more in the future.

If you check out the versileaders on the Rio site you'll find them a bit confusing. There's no mention of saltwater. No matter. A 7ips freshwater versileader with a stated core strength greater than 24lb works just fine.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 9:41am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As above, that's a great system for a rod rod setup. Gets you covering a whole lot of ground.

Originally posted by Craig Worthington Craig Worthington wrote:

If you check out the versileaders on the Rio site you'll find them a bit confusing. There's no mention of saltwater. No matter. A 7ips freshwater versileader with a stated core strength greater than 24lb works just fine.

Rod and Reel Newmarket should have the saltwater versileaders. 10ft, 7.0ips 24lb.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 10:17am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah, I was wondering if Rio had discontinued them...  or maybe they just weren't loaded on the website?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 10:31am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yah! for the versi tips , I think I will be fishing something other than the outbound F/I 's as standard this summer , its a great line and suits a lot of the fishing I put people onto,but the versatility of quickly changing a floater into a sink tip line might be good. I am anticipating a lot of interest in shallow water kingfish and the longer tapers of the floating lines might be a good idea as millsy said in his tarpon report. Getting long shots , quickly with out spooking fish will be important and unless you are really in control the outbounds can shoot like canons but land heavy. Soooo exciting to be facing a change of season soon.........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 3:27pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, I'll be talking to you about new season activities soon Matt Smile

I got my beloved 9wt Xi3 back from the fixit factory and strung that coldwater 7wt Outbound plus 10ft 7ips Versileader on it with a 1/0 interceptor.  It cast like a dream! Fly rolled out perfectly everytime, line rattled smoothly through the guides in what felt two degrees of air temp and landed out nice and (almost) straight. Very nice. Line weight for the rod felt just about perfect.

Continued to have an enjoyable time throwing cast after cast down at the wharf on a calm clear night and pinned a few kilo kahawai and big jack macks for my trouble.

Had to go home in the end though. Too bloody cold!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 1:17pm
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

just got myself a 8wt airflo tactical combo from h&f yesterday with split duties planed for salt and fresh. il be mostly fishing flats around whitianga harbour for snapper and kahawai. my question is as im all a bit confused coz there seems to be endless otions on line selection. can i get away with leaving my floating line on and attaching a sinking tippet 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 3:44pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, see my post above yours. It works for anything under five metres depth. You'll find the floating line restricting the downward progression of the fly in anything deeper, but it works well in those first few metres of water.  
Page  <1 456