Kingi rig/technique

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roofrack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kingi rig/technique
    Posted: 28 Jun 2005 at 1:33pm
roofrack View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I am looking at targeting Kingis up around Ruakaka/Marsden area. I have a Penn 330GTi and am wondering wheather to upgrade. It seems the go is a Shimano TLD20 from what I can gather. Casting off the boat around the marker buoys with a Yo-zuri popper on 15 kg line. Does sound like I'm on the right right track? A complete novice on this at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2005 at 1:41pm
lizard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

depends if you want to cast poppers etc....I use a 330gti with 24kg braid on it and it is sweet as for kings and anything big...the rod is a shimano taipan boat rod which i find awesome too...the penn mariner rod is ok too....

i tow lures around the bouy's etc and prefer to cast poppers when I can see em...great to watch too... I usually use a egg beater style reel for casting as i suck at casting overheads...

another way is to drift a balloon with a livie on it towards the markers....

depends really exactly what way you want to target them i guess...loads of ways to nail them....all of which have their place..

im not as think as you drunk i am
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2005 at 1:48pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Nothing wrong with the 330. I've said it before - you can cast any reel, it just needs sufficient weight on the end of the line.

That said, for a lot of casting, an eggbeater is easier to live with.

If you want info, Mark Kitteridge's book on catching kingfish is a beaut.

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2005 at 2:10pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

casting a tld 20 is not the easiest thing to do...if you not set on a overhead reel then i suggest you try a eggbeater..reason being youll be able to get to concentrate on the accuracy and distance instead of worrying about whats under your fingers and birdsnest's...a 6500b or 9500ss will handle 15kg easy.

dont forget about the other side of mair bank...a good drop off to troll a red and silver rapala... the fish should be around there buy now...generally erupting between 8am and 10am..

good luck

Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roofrack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2005 at 2:10pm
roofrack View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ok then. I'll stick with the 330 for now then.

Will try and get a copy of that book ASAP.

I also have an egg beater but not sure what capacity line it will handle. The shaft used to wobble a bit when pulling up snapper which made me a little nervous hence the upgrade to the 330. Will give it a go though for casting the poppers.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2005 at 6:07pm
Ski View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

casting poppers use a shimano baitrunner 6500 with 15 kg line and trolling or livebaiting either tld 20 or 25 with 15 kg line.like tobez said casting a large overhead reel is a bit tricky.
yamaha reliability
senator stability
shimano superiority
the rest is up to the fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2005 at 8:58pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

where do you live roof rack? i am in whenuapai if you wanna come over one evening i will give you a few tips and then some to catch a king or two have a few books and the odd vid i may be able to dig up but if you loose them i will do time hehehehe let us know dude only to happy to help.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2005 at 9:12pm
craw View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Probably getting a bit late for kingies,wintertime up there coutta replace em and livies,lures etc get dealt to never forget off Taiharuru Hd this huge workup just acres and acres of coutta thank god we dont get em like that down here! kingies can destroy you on any line wght and under 10 kg ive probably lost over 75%,10-15kg landed 50% and over 15kg landed 75% never landed a horse biggest about 40lb released,always been on my reels Shimano TLD 15,TSM4,BAITRUNNER 4500/6500.Always found targeting em is the only way just going out for a fish does'nt get too many of em,generally need one other crew member who can drive the boat/release bouy or haul up anchor/gaff large fish/.Dawn is the best time with low tide even better ,livies always hard to catch when kings are active,my fave is slow trolling livies one deep/one on top with another person casting poppers and or speed jigging like a maniac just to rark em up, around Kawau where i fish seem to be only rats under 75cm or the odd horse that you'd struggle to land over winter.  
"noodlers are a dyin' breed not a lot of people want to stick their hand up a hole and get bit by something" --Jerry 'Catfish' Rider
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fredrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2005 at 9:34pm
fredrick View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hey guys, i use a okuma classic cl450l reel spooled with 40 lb line about 400yards with a 6'6 15 kg class okuma rod with 5 meters of 80 lb leader to a ball bearing swivel to a 130 lb trace tied to a 8/0 mustad off set game hook, i use this set up for live baiting off rocks into kingfish terrain and managed to catch a 26kg king taking 45 minutes of sweet and pain, since then i have up graded to 50 lb braid, it should be good for a bigger one when summer comes around

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2005 at 10:07pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Anyone used the okuma BTL 817 reel for kings? Just wondering whether it would handle the jandle...

some details --> http://discountfishingsupplies.co.nz/shop/product_info.php?cPath=91_37&products_id=337

looks like will hold about 300m on 15kg...would this too small a capacity for livebaiting off the rocks?

Cheers
JK
LedgeNZ LBG