A bit more from the Nats on reserves.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A bit more from the Nats on reserves.
    Posted: 25 Jun 2005 at 9:48am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We are saying the following:

Marine reserves and protected areas
Labour�s target to lock up 10% of the whole marine area is arbitrary, gives little consideration to adverse impacts on fishing communities and the public�s right to fish, and is simply a slogan.

National Will:

�               Use a range of marine protection options that best satisfy all interests including fishing interests.
�       Ensure that with any Marine Reserve proposal DoC does not have dual roles and that recreational and commercial fishers have input into a decision making panel.

�       Not progress any Marine Reserve application without the support of the regional community.

In essence, DOC is the player and referee which is wrong. On current proposals like the Barrier there are quite a number throughout NZ. Depending on how far down the process they are we will be reviewing them case by case on the basis of the above policy.

Cheers

Phil

Phil Heatley
I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2005 at 10:18am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Absolutely correct. Having, as they put it, DoC as both player and ref, is wrong. MArine reserves will still be established, and I am fine with that, but the DoC won't be able to put them in without regard to genuine regional user agreement. Not by some bureaucratic dictate. Bloody commies!

Cheers, Stu.

It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2005 at 11:49am
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

yeah but how the hell will you ever get consensus about anything, ever? You won't and so no reserves will get created. Damn, will have to vote for them lefties
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2005 at 1:49pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LJ

"yeah but how the hell will you ever get consensus about anything, ever?"

Do we have a consensus now on the way reseves should be implimented?....nope...along way off the mark I suggest.

At least with ALL interested parties have input there would more than likely be a lot more buy-in from those that are currently exempt from the process.

"status quo has to go"
I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2005 at 3:07pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I sorry, but I'm just not articulate enough to portray my view regarding the situation via this medium. I just sit here, one good typing finger worn out, screaming in impotent rage at my computer screen.

I'll have to vote for the greens. I think a lot of other people will do the same. I guess when you look at it, the greens get quite a few votes but there ain't that many sandal wearing types around so you have to wonder just who votes for them? I think the answer is people like me who are afraid that people like 'you' (and I don't mean this personally) will just go on wrecking till everything is broke. It's a shame because those nutters are a bit militant and I've little time for their crazy shizz. And we're not even at crossed purposes- we both want more fish in the sea.

Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club