North Island NZ- Rotorura

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raven6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: North Island NZ- Rotorura
    Posted: 06 Jan 2014 at 7:43pm
Raven6 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Guys,

Hoping somebody could help me out here. I'm going to the north island in April with my Dad and Brother, plan is to hire a campervan and spend 5 days fishing the rivers and lakes around Rotorua and Lake Taupo. Now I'm not  exactly what you would call an experienced fly fisherman having caught a few trout and plenty of bass and flathead and I was hoping somebody on here could provide me with a few tips on what flys to take and techniques, we are going to be able to afford a guide (any suggestions?) for a couple of days but after that we will be going solo. From all reports most of the fish will be in the lakes getting ready to spawn at this time of year and can be caught swinging wets and streamers where the rivers enter the lakes, we plan to do a bit of this. Can anybody suggest what patterns to use?

We are also going to fish some streams probably the rangitaiki and whirinaki river, I understand that in april most of the action will be on nymphs under an indicator. Can anybody suggest some good patterns to use?

I will be taking a 5 weight 4 piece with a floating line and a spinning rod too....just in case things get desperate  :lol:

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated

Regards

Tristan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike.Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 4:24pm
Mike.Thomas View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Tristan, you might get a better response if you post this question in the freshwater fishing section, quite a few of the guys who are regulars on that board fish around Rotorua. Or give Clark Reid a pm, he is very helpful and works in the tackle trade in Rotorua.
All the best.
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 10:00am
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 6:05pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Mike.Thomas Mike.Thomas wrote:

Hi Tristan, you might get a better response if you post this question in the freshwater fishing section, quite a few of the guys who are regulars on that board fish around Rotorua. Or give Clark Reid a pm, he is very helpful and works in the tackle trade in Rotorua.
All the best.
Mike
To the best of my knowledge Clark no longer works in Rotorua but would certainly be the person to have guide you area.
April can be a very good time to fish the region so a guide (Clark)would certainly help you be successful. You might even see me in a float tube.Wink