questions from a novice

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: questions from a novice
    Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 6:03pm
Slyde View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Had my first stickbait session today. No hookups but learnt quite a bit.
Hoping you guys can shed a bit of light on a couple of questions
1. I had multiple occasions of the belly hook getting caught in the leader which meant the lure didn't swim properly. It was almost 50% of my casts until I changed the chain knot to a uni knot, then almost completely disappeared. I noticed the chain knot put a curve in the leader adjacent to the lure and wondered if this was the problem. So how many hitches should there be in a chain knot for it to be effective (180 lb mono)?
2. For the lure to be most effective on the retrieve should it break the surface continuously or swim beneath the surface, or maybe alternate between the 2 a bit? Is it the splash/bubbles or the swimming action that is important?
3.Got quite a few wind knots despite following most of the advice posted here. Leaving half a metre of leader between the rod tip and lure helped a bit. Wondering if I'm over spooled a bit. Is this a technique thing or a gear thing?

cheers
Slyde
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 6:51pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1.The chain knot is better suited to flouro..180 pound mono? holy smokes batman...were you fishing for tuna? ......That will effect the action of the stickbait too.......It will weigh the line down and more liklly to get caught esp if its a long knot....you could use a swivel/split ring combo and you would be ok........it can still happen occasionally but when it does ....you feel something is not right working the lure.....if you notice it....get the lure in quick because a strike while treble is around your line will end in tears........even a straight uni to lure will do for most situations in the gulf......make sure your hooks are the right size for the lure too as too big will spoil the action of any stick/popper......where were you fishing? 100 to 120 pound leader is fine for kings in the gulf and must be supple.
2.Depends on the action of the lure...What lure you using?   ask the dood you buy it from......thats their job.......some sink........some go sub surface and come back with their nose pointing up.....some stay on the surface all the time......speed is not the most important thing......when you sweep, the lure will dart and weave under the surface and then pop back up.......you dont want it to go across the surface. and splash(poppers do that)....you want it to duck and weave(s shape)......its the action thats important but experiment.......some lures can be ripped and stay under the surface the whole time with a great action......ive had most of my strikes when the lure stops and points up........so get a rydim going and have some pauses(watch for the lure to pop up) becauses some times they follow and pounce when its still.
3.If you followed all the tips about wind knots ....it leaves two things=
a) over spooled line  b) small guides...............my top guide on my stick bait rod is 12mm and on top stick bait rods the top three guides are always a nice size........if your tip is 8 to 10  mm or under your asking for trouble i reckon .....even with all the right things in place you can still get wind knots....was there much wind going on?...........the over spooled line is a big one..........you could always get the top 3 guides a more agreeable size........I did that with both my Pink Panther(rocky) rods for just this reason plus when casting a 10 metre 50 pound leader attached to 30 pound mainline(mono) off the rocks........knot would go through guide easily.................Hope some of this helps you but sure others can help you tooWink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 8:04pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

What do you guys call a wind knot? Is it an overhead knot like fly fishermen get when their casts don't go well?

Good info LBD.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 8:21pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

What do you guys call a wind knot? Is it an overhead knot like fly fishermen get when their casts don't go well?

Good info LBD.

Line coming off the reel so fast that it doesnt run through the guides properly and normally ends in a "birdsnest" so to speak

PS over filled reels and too heavy leader are common causesWink
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2014 at 7:00pm
Slyde View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks LBD, 180lb is what was put on at the shop, I have some lighter mono so will go with that soon. Looks like I need a bit of practice to get her swimming right. All good fun learning.