leader to lure knot

Page  <123
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 7:20pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stellamoon...As I said in my earlier post, I will post the Knot Konishi san showed Luke and me after the New Year when I get time to make a video...........(That sounds pretty clear to me)...............Stinkbait......I dont think that is quite the right way to go about your request........Nobody owes anybody anything on here........This is a place to share(if you wish too) ...not demand............at the end of the day its up to anesh if he wishes to share this knot and of course it would be great to know,now  wouldnt it....lets hope he feels like doing it!Wink 
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ballsout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 8:14pm
Ballsout View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So what the big knot you can't tell us????????

Like what i said to start with I just wait and see, but it has gone right off the topic to I can catch a bigger fish then you and my brands better then yours.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote campbellc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 9:11pm
campbellc View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Seen swordfish , blue marlin , stripies and kings over 37kgs landed landed on uni knots , when you find a king that is gunna pull for 4 hours and weigh over 400lbs let me know . This is a joke , hope you all got tissues for Christmas cause there's gunna be a mega mess after all this ****ing on about who's knots better .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishmad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 10:20pm
fishmad1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

For a while here (Oman) we were using heavy leaders..to 300lb or something up around 1.85mm. Many here still use a 3 turn clinch knot or the Uni. The only thing we found with the Uni is that it sometimes flattens on the swivel and some people believe lead to failure..we then started to put it though the swivel twice but a lot depends on the size of the swivel ring hence we used the biggest NTs...the vast majority of break offs we have here are in the main line, nothing to do with the knot.
www.hi-ika.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 12:32am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by fishmad1 fishmad1 wrote:

For a while here (Oman) we were using heavy leaders..to 300lb or something up around 1.85mm. Many here still use a 3 turn clinch knot or the Uni. The only thing we found with the Uni is that it sometimes flattens on the swivel and some people believe lead to failure..we then started to put it though the swivel twice but a lot depends on the size of the swivel ring hence we used the biggest NTs...the vast majority of break offs we have here are in the main line, nothing to do with the knot.
interesting campbell and fish mad.....it gets hard to tie a uni in the bigger weight lines too....IMHO....form the knot up the line and make sure its tidy.....then spit on it and line and slowly pull up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote TOSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 5:13am
TOSF View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Oh this thread is gold, very entertainingConfused

In our camp we use the uni, tube knot (uni then reversed down its self) and the SanDiego Jam knot, all these knots work well with no failures, to be honest we have gone away from the uni as the tube knot lays up neater on line over 80lb. My crew tests a lot of knots and have found the San Diego one of the strongest knots and we have also found by putting the line though the eye twice before tying a uni or tube knot it weakens the knot (tests done on electronic scales), its more about the friction of the two lines rubbing over each other and the width at the base of the knot that weakens the knot.

As Ginga says the crimp may be the easiest and strongest and most likely the least used and over looked (maybe because its not as "flash" looking or maybe no one has come out with a pair of gold plated aircraft grade alloy surgical S/S trendy crimpers signed by some Asian dude that these new modern fisherman seems to like using these days).

Topwater we have caught many fish over 40/50kgs and even one estimated at over 100kgs that was lost boat side due to a broken rod (after a 3hr fight) all using the uni, tube or San Diego Jam knots.

Live and dead baiting we have caught many marlin up to and well over 200kgs using these knots on hooks and swivels with no failures.  Crimping hooks we have caught Tuna to over 400kgs on 130lb fluro with the simple crimp to the hook. (these are just examples how well these connections hold under more drag pressure more than most could hang onto on a topwater rod).

I feel a lot of failures acure mainly due to connections not being check and retied. Casting, missed bites and hook tangles all sure play havoc on gear.

A past catch that I was part of that makes me think about pushing connections and gear to the limit is this stunning topwater catch by JoshW (photo below), soft bait rod and reel, 50lb leader and (uni knot or Tube knot not 100% on which one) to the cheap $20 stickbait, over an hour fight, jumps, huge surface runs and times where the fish hung down deep and took us a long way out to sea, but a carefully tied simple knot held tight.

Anyway hope this info helps

http://www.facebook.com/TonyOrtonSportFishingOffshoreAdventures
www.offshoreadventures.net
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 7:20am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Brilliant Tony....love your work!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 9:06am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmm you could be onto something there , gold plated crimpers endorsed by jackie chan with limited edition bejizzled handles .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feedthefamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2014 at 9:54am
feedthefamily View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

Hmm you could be onto something there , gold plated crimpers endorsed by jackie chan with limited edition bejizzled handles .
Great idea Angler - off to the patent office now.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and get rid of him for the weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 8:27am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

Mike just about bust a rib. Great to see a bit of humour amongst the knot testosterone.
I understand the significance of some of the overseas anglers who field test their brands here in NZ but to me the real story is US the kiwi angler who has adapted & invested in numerous new & innovative angling methods.
Is it possible that we might one day tell the field testers "hey try this" & have them go back home n tell all their mates how it's done in NZ???
Just a thought!!
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 9:49am
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Stellamoon Stellamoon wrote:

[QUOTE=Stinkbait101288]

I hate pics like that, makes it hard to believe the size of the fish or photo shop has been given a nudge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 9:59am
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by TOSF TOSF wrote:

In our camp we use the uni, tube knot (uni then reversed down its self) and the SanDiego Jam knot, all these knots work well with no failures, to be honest we have gone away from the uni as the tube knot lays up neater on line over 80lb. My crew tests a lot of knots and have found the San Diego one of the strongest knots and we have also found by putting the line though the eye twice before tying a uni or tube knot it weakens the knot (tests done on electronic scales), its more about the friction of the two lines rubbing over each other and the width at the base of the knot that weakens the knot.

How many wraps would you make when tying the sandiego on say 100lb mono/floro?  I've used it softbaiting on 15lb but then went back to a loop knot. 

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote TOSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 10:57am
TOSF View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

5 times on heavier line say over 100lb, 6 or 7 on ligher lines.
Make sure you get the loops formed up well and tight before pulling up nice and tight it then becomes a lot neater and stronger. Its always nice to have the hook or swivel attached to something when pulling up tight and some spit for lube.
http://www.facebook.com/TonyOrtonSportFishingOffshoreAdventures
www.offshoreadventures.net
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Boxee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 11:24am
Boxee View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

"I hate pics like that, makes it hard to believe the size of the fish or photo shop has been given a nudge."

Cbro - Probably just the wide angle lens on the GoPro/DSLR, when peoples knees are bigger than their torso there is usually some forced perspective. Not worth being found out using photoshop.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 11:55am
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers mate.  Just out of interest what knots are you using to connect leader to main. 

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boxee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 12:09pm
Boxee View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

(K)Not my area of expertise which is why I'm doing my research...

Currently Uni to swivel, but pretty much uni for everything, bars!ardised versions of the slim beauty and Rapala knot finished with a Uni as well.

Someone smarter and more experienced than me (maybe Kezza?) posted it a few years back and just started doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 2:01am
Titanium
Titanium

well...after all this...we still never got stellamoons knot.........come in anesh...over Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ballsout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 8:18am
Ballsout View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm still waiting for the name of this knot to because i was told how im not doing anything right and this knot was going to save all our souls and catch 40kg plus kingfish because we all catch rats with the knots we use at the mo. I think it be good a video of you anesh tying it .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Plastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 12:46pm
Mr Plastic View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep ive landed a 38-40 on jig with a uni. Much more pressure than topwater. I think sometimes we complicate things to much. I think the curry comment could be left out kingislayer. Rod maker politics should be done by pm. Or just meet face to face and get the gloves out!. Im not a big fan of racest comments. Its only a knot for gods sake!!.
Synit Prototype bender
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 2:24pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anybody tried using the Jansik knot , really simple to tie and popular with the Gt popping guys ?
Page  <123