Raro charter recommendations

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chad51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raro charter recommendations
    Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 4:11pm
Chad51 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey,

I’m going to Rarotonga this Christmas and am looking for some recommendations for fishing charters. I would really love to do some top water fishing for GTs, but most of the research I’ve done suggests the charter boats don’t really target these. Also interested in the more common catches such as Mahi Mahi and Wahoo etc.

I’m keen to spend a bit more money for something half decent where I’m fishing most of the time rather than sharing a couple of rods with a big boat full of other people.

Does anyone have any good recommendations? Also I won’t be bringing my own gear.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 7:48pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Captain Moko is pretty good ,and his Mrs does a mean fish Sandwich.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote murrayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 8:11pm
murrayt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If you're going to Aitutaki contact Mike of Black Pearl Charters. He can do what you want
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tightlines2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 9:02pm
tightlines2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by lemmy lemmy wrote:

Captain Moko is pretty good ,and his Mrs does a mean fish Sandwich.

Jilly does THE BEST mahimahi sandwiches I've ever had. We went there 3 times over 4 days and only missed the 4th because they were shut. Ask Jilly for the "yellow flipper" when you place your order and se if she laughs.Wink
  As for her husband Captn Moko, I've heard mixed reports, he doesn't tolerate idiots, but he does know his fishing.

Remember it's not the number of breaths you take that is important in life, but rather the number of times that life takes your breath away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tightlines2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 9:03pm
tightlines2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by murrayt murrayt wrote:

If you're going to Aitutaki contact Mike of Black Pearl Charters. He can do what you want

Aitutaki is back on my bucket list.

Mike is great value, and he provides a great "catered" service with top fishing.
Remember it's not the number of breaths you take that is important in life, but rather the number of times that life takes your breath away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 9:16pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep Stephen can be a bit Abrasive , but I always have a laugh with him and he does seem to be able to smell the fish .

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 7:53am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mokos a good fisherman but you do need to let him do it his way and fair enough they get enough non fisherman out for a fish who do  all kinds of stupid things  ; I  once went  to push the drag up on a reel when I was on a fish with Moko ; he went mental Big smile. But he nearly always catches fish and got a 40kg doggy in early Oct.
If you are in Muri he's you easiest option.His wife Jill has the best food for sure .
If you are in town or nearer to town Marlin Queen has a launch and  a 6.5m stabi? and catch some good fish ( we got yellowfin trolling soft plastics ) also Akura catches good fish  . A 370kg blue was landed a week or so ago .

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chad51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 4:47pm
Chad51 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers for the adivce. I doubt i'll be heading over to Aitutaki.....probably i bit too pricey. I'm sure i'll make it out there some time though as fly fishing for Bonefish is another thing on my to do list

Maybe i'll give Moko a shout. I did email a guy from Bluewater adventures, about targeting GTs. He said he's no longer a full time charter operator, but to give him a call when i got over there. Anyone been out with these guys?