King spots out of Whangamata

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: King spots out of Whangamata
    Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 8:04pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey guys got a trip organised out of Whangamata this weekend anyone got any intel to share for Kings in the area. We are planning to head to Mayor but am sure there must be some action closer than that. Also where's best for livies round Whangamata or in the shallow reefs at Mayor??
Cheers Pete
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 8:16pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Dogger bank is worth a shot and 32 and 36 should be firing by now(reefs towards Aldies in a direct line from Whangamata, on all charts.)
No reefs in line with Mayor Is until you get there of courseLOL
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 9:15pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Kev. Any thoughts on best option for livies?
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 9:48pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Harbour holds plenty, especially at night time using lights. Clark Is has been a bit quiet but  i havent really been chasing any of late. Testing jigs most days i go outWink
High point on Dogga Bank is always good for jacks or koheru
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 7:13pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sweet cheers Kev passed that onto the skipper of the boat I'm on.
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gmacx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 12:04am
gmacx View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Dumb question maybe but is this dogger bank (highlighted)?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 12:08am
petethemeat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 8:23am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Gmacx/ PTM cheers for that. that area looks like it should hold livies to!
Great to get this kind of assistance make me feel more confident about our mish!
Anyone got any thoughts on western side of Mayor.
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 8:39am
KingySlayer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

We fished the 32 on our way home from the aldie pins around 2 weeks ago and it was holding good kings. Also the razor gang so be aware of them there. We call the 32 "The Pay Packet" for good reason. As it is just that. We lost a nice one at the pay packet due to a tangle under boat. 

The Doga is sweet as kings, thats where our Career in chassing Kings started. Have caught up to 22 kilo kings there on lead and have also shot a 30 kegga there. 

This may be a long way off the beaten track but lens reef is another place (at Aldies) that we attack. 

Mayor Island - has been fishing good in close but now reports i hear are that the kings are out deep and you need to be in at least 90 meters of water.

Hope this helps mate.
www.assassinsportsfishing.com
www.facebook.com/assassinjigteam
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 8:50pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Aaron thanks for that certainly helps & appreciate the intel as it give us options if what we are trying is not working I then have an idea for plan B. Cheers bro!
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 1:08pm
KingySlayer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

WAs home last night mate and had a yarn to a very good school mate of mine there who is mad crazy on kings and said that the DOGGIE Bank was producing some wicked kings. One of the boys mentioned they reconed they had seen a 35 kega lingering at Dogs while spear fishing there (its a local hot spot for spearos).

However i will mention this... The Doga is known to eat ALOT of jigs mate. Couldnt tell you how many Jigs we have lost there due to the rocky conditions below.
www.assassinsportsfishing.com
www.facebook.com/assassinjigteam
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gmacx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 4:26pm
gmacx View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Out of curiosity, what are you referring to as the 32 & 36?
Sorry - i'm **** house at reading charts..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 7:47pm
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

they are referring to the pins that come up to 32m and 36m.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishergf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 6:03pm
fishergf View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey! we are wanting to go spear fishing off whangamata this summer, is it possible to dive from the shore or do we need a boat/kayak?