Fishing on the routeburn and milford track

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NilsL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishing on the routeburn and milford track
    Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 10:23pm
NilsL View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey there,

I will go for both tracks in early december basically for the tramping experience. But I have seen that there are beautiful rivers on the way, so I am curious if there is good fishing along the way or maybe on side trips. Does anyone know about that?
Cheers,
Nils
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alan syme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 1:08pm
alan syme View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have not done those two tracks myself, but I expect there to be a good number of trout there as several other rivers close by have a good population of fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cigar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 8:07pm
Cigar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The Clinton (first part of the Milford track) is supposed to be pretty good. I gave up trying to fish because of the sandflies! I had good insect repellent and they didn't land or bite, but the cloud just in front of my face all the time drove me nuts!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NilsL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 6:29pm
NilsL View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ok, cool. Thanks for your advice. So I will certainly take my fishing gear with me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alan syme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 9:46pm
alan syme View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Cigar Cigar wrote:

The Clinton (first part of the Milford track) is supposed to be pretty good. I gave up trying to fish because of the sandflies! I had good insect repellent and they didn't land or bite, but the cloud just in front of my face all the time drove me nuts!

yep, unbelievably bad sand-flies in Fiordland. leave no part of your skin exposed at any time. Gloves, facemasks and good repellent help a lot. Unbearable without this sort of protection!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda-Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 1:43pm
Wanda-Ra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If wanting to fish that area, then do the greenstone/caples track.Awesome fishing and connects onto the end of the Routeburn track from the Te Anau side.  Can link the tracks up to do them both.