Reel wanted.

Topic Closed

Page  <1 345
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 11:10pm
igfafly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Aaah more insights from you Clarke - you certainly are having a doozy tonight.

So because your search on a NZ site for the last 6 months reveals nothing ergo I have caught no fish. Here are a couple of tips:

Fishing.net.nz - marlin on fly
Fishing.net.nz mako on fly
www.saltwaterflyfishing.com.au - various - search my name - SteveB

Just because it is not on a NZ site mate does not mean it did not happen - oh and also check IGFA makos on fly records.

Happy yet ? Or do you still think I am some bush Baptist who catches trout on worms with a float and has nothing better to do that tell porkies on a Monday night ?

Steve

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 11:14pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm, not even sure what the hell you are on about?

(BTW, I didn;lt search for you, sorry, was I meant too?)
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 11:16pm
igfafly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My Sincere apologies, this was the best I could come up with, but only used the "last six months option"....

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/search_results_posts.asp?SearchID=20131028225101&KW=
???????????????????????????????????????????????????
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 11:16pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by igfafly igfafly wrote:

So because your search on a NZ site for the last 6 months reveals nothing ergo I have caught no fish.
It's actually six years ..... or more.......
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 11:17pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by igfafly igfafly wrote:

My Sincere apologies, this was the best I could come up with, but only used the "last six months option"....

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/search_results_posts.asp?SearchID=20131028225101&KW=
???????????????????????????????????????????????????

No Photos???
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 11:25pm
igfafly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So Flyte - getting back to the original post - there are a lot of options at all points in the price curve. I don't agree that you need to be spending 700 / 800 dollars and there is a lot around at half that price that will be more than capable.

Colton's Torrent 911 covers that size nicely and holds a lot of backing if you choose to go after small pelagics in time.

TFO make a nice little 425 - not as heavy duty as the Colton but a lovely smooth drag and sufficient backing capacity.

Leland Outfitters on Ebay is a US based crowd who sell trade ins when someone comes in to upgrade - along with warranty etc. Wide variety on there.

Have a look at some of the Aussie sites for gear being sold too - often some good deals on flylife and saltwaterflyfishingaustralia. Most of the guys on there know each other and are reputable and so would not do the dirty, and there is a fair bit of liquidity with stuff coming on and being bought / sold all the time.

Steve
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 11:28pm
Rudy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Flyte - did you ever get the PM I sent you?
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 11:43pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Clark, we all know that you know your stuff. Why you have to question everything anyone else does is totally beyond me. How about you just accept that what people post is the truth? If you know otherwise, fair enough but I suspect you are just out to prove everyone else wrong. In my experience on this site 90% + of the posts are genuine and posted here with the best of intentions. You appear to have trouble accepting that.

My advice is that you contribute in a positive manner from here on in. Your call.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 4:56am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Holy hell! I'm out in the garden planting veges and then reading a book and you guys are stuffing your toys down bazookas and firing them at each other LOL The trouble is - I have tried to read the five pages of vitally important information that has been posted here last night and I can't quite find where anyone has actually called anyone else a bad name or questioned their parentage. This means that the thread survives... just. Please let me know if there are any personally offensive bits in there I could easily have missed (I only skimmed through it).

My only comment will be that he extra cost of freight and insurance for an imported item will often mean that the item on the shelf in your local shop isn't so bad after all. I personally have imported a fair bit of stuff and much prefer buying stuff that is already in NZ. I don't to be worrying about reels that are "on their way" in the mail system somewhere. Solid gear, on a shelf, is a great selling point in my opinion.

And much thanks to Smudge for stepping in on the night watch Thumbs Up 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 7:44am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Clark, we all know that you know your stuff. Why you have to question everything anyone else does is totally beyond me. How about you just accept that what people post is the truth? If you know otherwise, fair enough but I suspect you are just out to prove everyone else wrong. In my experience on this site 90% + of the posts are genuine and posted here with the best of intentions. You appear to have trouble accepting that.

My advice is that you contribute in a positive manner from here on in. Your call.

How does it work that the only personal shot in the entire thread comes from the moderator at a participant in a discussion?
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 8:28am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As much as I enjoy this level of healthy debate Clap, I would like to contribute that we have a bit of a "situation". Is it possible that Clark has had a sample of a "colton" reel that was perhaps a rip off and therefore exactly as he claims , and what  has become evident is that the real Colton's are in fact every thing the they are claimed to be! I have had my own 40 minute fight in testing conditions with a big kingfish  and there is no question in my mind that it would have sh-- itself had it not be very well made. On the otherside of the fence is the slagging of "Brand" tackle and the implied rip off if spending $800.00.Firstly if someone choose's to spend that much money on a proven ,high quality reel they do so in confidence it will do the job many ,many times when it counts and have the back up of a reliable retail/warranty service, that fact they could also buy direct from a company like Colton who produce a great product is just good news. However the "brands" do put alot of resource into development and marketing (listening) ,which is why we are also seeing some very affordable mid range gear becoming available, on the shelf locally and fully supported. One element that needs development in this new buying environment is customer service ,please don't try to sell me an $800.00 reel when you could sell be a $400.00 reel , offer some advice as to how I could catch more fish and help me spool and rig it so I can go fishing. Credibility is paramount, and the retailers need to give their customers some for being interested in the first place and in this internet environment probally well informed. I applaude all who have contributed to this thread but lets consider that the truth can have many faces, and whats most important is that guys who want to buy good gear to catch fish do not get confused ,oversold, or  intimidated and go back to bait fishing!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 9:24am
Flyte View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Wow! Amazing where an unattended post can go!

Would it be bad to say I bought a $300 fridge?

...just kidding, still deciding.

Seriously thanks to all for the info.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 9:51am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Must say I feel sorry for you Flyte? Ask a simple question, and an argument erupts!

Matto, if I were you id send both of them to the naughty corner! Its no fun been a parent hey?LOL

My suggestion is keep an eye out on the forums, ebay, trade me etc.. for a good condition second hand, solidly built reel such as a Hayden, Tibor etc... Can’t say I know anything about Colton reels to be honest, but that dont mean it’s a bad product in my eyes, just one I know very little about at this stage. Time will tell if they develop a following or not.

I do have to say that these days these are a lot of quality manufactures out there that don’t charge a fortune but produce a good quality product, which wasn’t the case only a few years ago.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 10:54am
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Clark Reid Clark Reid wrote:

Nothing i have said is sceptical in regards your casting a fly, in fact, I challenge you to quote a passage in this regard? you seem to go on with a lot of crap actually. Your out of focus picyures have done nothing to convince me in any regard... here's a go... post a couple of pic of YOU with your BIG fish captures, you know, the ones that make 30 - 50 kg things look small??? Farrrk, I'm not being confrontational, you said it it, just asking you to show us all please?

Clark, 

igfafly = SteveB = Steve Baker who holds the IGFA record for Mako on fly (10kg line weight).  I've never met Steve but I think this means he has caught some big fish.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 12:04pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

He was using a Tibor (Pate) ........... not a Colton!
Make that fact clear.

I fished with this bloke for years so know a bit of the history.
Go back to some of the earlier threads of mako's on fly.

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 12:21pm
igfafly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

And what have I been using the last 2 or 3 years on makos and marlin Kev, which gives me the confidence in the product I have - my Tibors sit unused.

Don't let yourself get distracted form the point - that being whether or not I catch decent size fish to be able to put the Coltons through their paces.

Steve
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 12:44pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thread is now locked.

Send me a pm if anyone has any problems with that.
Page  <1 345