Drag settings when trolling

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter da Squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 1:23am
Peter da Squid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Plonker and beer...........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think he did bad things to that marlin? ahhhh well, wouldnt expect anything less from the Dodgey Bro's

Good for Nuthin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 7:24am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Dustin .... sanity, thanks. Thats given me something to work on.
Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 7:44am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

dirty looking green water in that photo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwiboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 12:11pm
kiwiboy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

agree with Dustin entirely!!!

my dacron loops , they hold well with big lures  , they are easily adjustable. And with blacks clips they work fantastic,  There is no damage to the mainline.

Its also easy to "breakout" the clip as well from the rigger upon retrieval.No problem if your into teasing fish.

Dont like roller trollers, springy outriggers,single halyards, hard drag, soft drag,straightbutt chair rods, 9 knots trollspeed, portiphino transoms, 5 plus rods out, 35knots of wind and no beer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 12:47pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

so kiwi theres a few things you dont like then lol do you have problems with the loops being pulled from the reel by a fish? had thoughts of doing it but worried about a hang up in the guides so went to roller trollers, any thoughts???????BA
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 1:23pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

must fish together one of these days Heath...think we might get along just fine!!....

BA...As long as the loops aren't too big then there aren't any promblems like what you are suggesting....Dacron loops are yet to really catch on here in NZ, but a lot of the top international boats and a few of the ones here employ them....hmmmm...wonder why?
I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 2:17pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah i get the idea there kerren i will try em this season coming but will slot em over the trollers and see how we get on. cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 2:19pm
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

powergum
Random musings on all sorts of things http://obaldnz.blogspot.com/

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 3:40pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

do you have Powergum for sale Arkwrite?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 4:44pm
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Oh yes indeed I do

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2005 at 7:59am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't know if you knew, Obie, that Powergum was first used in fly fishing as a "shock" attachment, from the end of the flyline to the leader. Purpose - to allow lighter leaders to be used. I tried it back in the early 90s but I never got the hang of it as I found it added to much stretch.
Good to see that some use was made for it.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwiboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2005 at 1:26pm
kiwiboy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anytime Kerran , no problem. well done on  this website, I really enjoy it

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2005 at 1:44pm
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I did know that, Roy.

It is also widely used in the UK somewhere in the rig for pole fishing. You know the sort of thing 21 ft rods, no reel and a 4lb bag made up of 4 squillion 1/8 oz bleak or sticklebacks. I actually bought some in a UK tackle shop a couple of years back - they had truckloads of it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2005 at 3:30pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quote: Originally posted by Bender on 24 May 2005

It was a great gamefishing season but also quite a difficult one, given the large number of fish hooked and lost.

I wondered if the trolling drag settings had anything to do with it? What settings are people using - both full strike drag and trolling drag? Are they measurable, i.e. 2kg, 3kg, 4kg or whatever?

I'll start the ball rolling. We had the 24kg rods set on 7kg maximum strike drag. We trolled with just enough drag pressure to stop the lures dragging line out (number two on the Penn VSW 50s but not sure what that equates to in kgs of drag).

One strike, one marlin.

<SCRIPT language=javascript>postamble(); Bender, I've never game fished (but will eventually one day ). I have read Bill Hall's Marlin Fishing book though and I do recall that he mentioned his hook up rate improved significantly when his trolling drag was set as light as possible- i.e. just light enough to stop lures dragging out.  He was also a covert to single hook rig too, which I also recall increased his hook up rate for his style of trolling.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2005 at 6:07am
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bluey, you won't have problems with dacron loops fouling in the guides if you're using windon or bigfoot rollers... but on 50 and 30 lb class rods with smaller rollers and (especially) smaller roller tips it could be a problem.  You might have to run your line straight through the roller trollers with those.  (I don't mind roller trollers, especially with smaller lures- but I don't like using them with dacron or powergum loops as much as blacks clips because the roller section is bulkier and more cumbersome to snap through the loop than the pin of a Black's clip, plus you need to make the loops in your dacron or powergum bigger to accomodate). 

-----------------

Kerren we need to see some of this footage, whilst fishing the Canaries a week or so ago I was able to look over the underwater footage taken off Ghana again, and it would be really cool to compare how striped marlin react to a lure compared to blues. 

Mate given that you had the opportunity to video limitless numbers of striped marlin, it would have been really interesting to film them attacking (A) hookless lures, and (B) hooked lures on heavier strike drag too.  Just as a comparison?  Maybe next time, you lucky sod? 

btw - no matter how you're playing the strike drag game - if you see that bill wagging behind your lure but for some reason he just can't seem to eat it - give it to him with the rod/reel or slow the boat and let him catch it - this really does work!  If I see a fish behind lure I'll normally just wait as quite often they will attack and get hooked by themselves, if he's behaving lazily you might want to take a couple of cranks on the reel and try and fire him up - but if they are clearly all over the lure but just can't seem to catch it, just try giving it to him. Once you see him take the lure and turn, wind tight and hopefully he'll be on.  But if he's not, wind the lure back in position and hold your course, odds are he will come back and try again.  Don't be too quick to give up on a missed shot.  In the Atlantic we fish blue marlin and white marlin which are like a miniature version of your stripeys - blues are the most likely to be crash bang one hit wonders (but even so you can definitely pull off a second or third shot on them sometimes) but whiteys seem to stay on a lure a lot longer and will often give you multiple shots until you either hook them up or they finally get spooked.   

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2005 at 7:20am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dusty....

The footage will become available to the international audience in due course.....more on exactly how that will happen in a press release....like you say this "stuff" is not only entertaining but also educational....lovely.

"Mate given that you had the opportunity to video limitless numbers of striped marlin, it would have been really interesting to film them attacking (A) hookless lures, and (B) hooked lures on heavier strike drag too.  Just as a comparison?  Maybe next time, you lucky sod?  "

There was a certain amount of trialing different "types" of bites mate....hookless teasers, pitch baits, armed lures.....etc etc

We compared the footage from Ghana to the stuff we shot and of course we are bias or perhaps it was the share numbers we captured, but the footage has a cleaner more exciting feel to it in my opinion.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2005 at 7:36am
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Quote: Originally posted by dustin on 30 May 2005

(I don't mind roller trollers, especially with smaller lures- but I don't like using them with dacron or powergum loops as much as blacks clips because the roller section is bulkier and more cumbersome to snap through the loop than the pin of a Black's clip, plus you need to make the loops in your dacron or powergum bigger to accomodate). 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not really Dustin. They have to be a bit bigger but not to make the sort of difference you are inferring. Theoretically the loop for a Black's could be 3mm diam - obviously absurd, but you get my drift. At the beginning of last season I inadvertantly made a PG loop for a roller troller a bit smaller than I had intended (about 12mm diam) but it works like a Swiss watch. I now make them all that size. I, as you know, run pedominantly 50lb gear and none of my rods has oversize tip rollers - no problem.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote billfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2005 at 1:32pm
billfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Talk about antithesis.  I'm looking out the window at quite possibly the worst most foul @sred weather ever and here I find Obie, cosy and warm in his on little virtual niche of bluewater heaven, tackle talkin'.   Good on ya mate.

No golf today then?

Page  <12