First Build, couple mistakes

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Billy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Build, couple mistakes
    Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 10:39pm
Billy! View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Here's my first go at putting a rod together. Building this rod was a bit of a practice run to find out if I would enjoy it enough before I purchase a power wrapper. 
I had a bit of thread lying around from doing the odd repair so I made do with that and scored some free Fuji guides. I used flexcoat for a two coat finish. Was hoping to get three coats on there but its quite thick epoxy. Also it's been pretty cold these last few mornings and I'm not sure how that will affect the curing.

I really winged it with this first build and it shows in the detail but I also learnt a few simple things along the way.

1. If using colour fast, use it on all thread...

2. Use blow dryer to get big air bubbles out...

3. A simple diamond wrap looks better when it actually lines up with guides... A little hard to tell in this pic but its off to the right.

4. When these alarm clocks go off too early, its time for them to meet the axe

5. Double overbind helps hide gaps in the wrapping
6. Colour fast helped to turn under bind into a sturdy base for overbind
7. Don't leave use turps to soak brushes, it doesn't work

So now I'm in the market for a power wrapper. I've checked out a few on mudhole and various other US websites. Has anyone ordered one recently? I'm wondering how much I'll get stung for import duty and whether or not its worth just buying one locally. Anyone got advice on purchasing one?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 10:55pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work man, you can read all the info you like but for me, I learned waaaay more building my first rods than I ever got from anything I read! 

I bought my first lathe from the US a few years ago now so it's hard to say but I'm sure I paid a little over $800 all up (I got the upgraded chuck too though). Can't remember what exactly it was I had to pay but I got stung with some duty payment once it got to NZ. 
They have dropped in price from then though. 
p.s. the extra dryer is a good option too, can never have too many dryers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 11:02pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It looks great to me but i make rod repairs using insulation tape Big smile.

The only good advice I can offer is that you shoot the rooster.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 1:26pm
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Very well done mate , the rod looks great , and as Badfish said , you will learn way more by doing it , as in what mistakes not to do again , and I have done plenty Thumbs Up with Flexcoat I found up here in the tropics it turned yellow after time , I now use Bullards D11, with CP you will also find some are a lot better than others , welcome to rod building you are now doomed .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 1:50pm
daveo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks good mate, Theres a shop down south called flyfishshop (I think) that sells them for around 550 or 600? much easier than importing one to save 50 or 100 bucka

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 2:02pm
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Eeehhhh bae swap you 4 a BaKcb0ne with a mi$1ng Tip? I need a $take 4 da misu$ 2matoes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 3:05pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mean effort there bro!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Elpescador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 3:48pm
Elpescador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

colour preserver is not required if you choose an NCP thread. And flexcote has 2 types High build and lite. High build is almost a 1 cote deal, while lite is for multiple cotes.Ying Yang  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Billy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 7:36pm
Billy! View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers guys.
Yeah I don't think I'll use flexcoat again. I spoke to Leon at Rodworks and managed to find out what epoxy he uses so I'll be giving that a go next. Thanks for the heads up with that fly shop daveo. I'm pretty sure that's the way I'll go.

BTW sleeping in this morning was a lot easier.
4 roosters went missing overnight...

Will post up the next build
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Billy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 7:56pm
Billy! View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Nomis,

I've got a TR200g that I purchased 9 years and 11 months ago for $89.95 at the 2004 Auckland boat show. The ratchet has stopped clicking. I trust that Douglas Johnson will honour the 10yr Warranty.
If not, I'll have no other option than to post a video on my youtube channel rubbishing shimano and encouraging my three subscribers to support a superior product like Bond.

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 9:08pm
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ill need your proof of purchase !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 9:08pm
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Billy! Billy! wrote:

Hey Nomis,

I've got a TR200g that I purchased 9 years and 11 months ago for $89.95 at the 2004 Auckland boat show. The ratchet has stopped clicking. I trust that Douglas Johnson will honour the 10yr Warranty.
If not, I'll have no other option than to post a video on my youtube channel rubbishing shimano and encouraging my three subscribers to support a superior product like Bond.

Ill need your proof of purchase ! Bond? is that a glue?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 11:42pm
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Good start Billy! As Badfish said you will only learn by actually doing it... As my old man use to say "you've never made a good job until you've made a decent f#$k up or two..." I have Badfish's first ever rod he did for us just to remind him where he has come from and where he's at now...
www.synit.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tightlines2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 11:47pm
tightlines2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

[QUOTE=Men In Black] Good start Billy! As Badfish said you will only learn by actually doing it... As my old man use to say "you've never made a good job until you've made a decent f#$k up or two..." I have Badfish's first ever rod he did for us just to remind him where he has come from and where he's at now...[/QUOTE]

.... still can't sell it? I suppose that happens when you use o/h rings on a spin rodLOL
Remember it's not the number of breaths you take that is important in life, but rather the number of times that life takes your breath away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 1:05pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Simmer down you I'll have you know the guides were perfect, it was just the workmanship that was terrible. Don't know how that's any better but that was the case