Underwater recording

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jedijay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Underwater recording
    Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 8:58am
Jedijay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've recently splashed out and purchased an Sony Action Cam and now I'm trying to work out some custom mounts for the camera. 

The main uses for this cam will be dropping down into some snapper spots and bait schools. And to be a trolling camera using a PVC pipe.

Has anyone had much success with recording snapper? I'm looking at dropping it in 20 meters of water, so I'm hoping there will be enough light. Are sharks an issue? I've got some steel cable to attach to the case.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 1:54pm
KingySlayer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Better have one hell of a tough pole that is quite small or designed to dispurse the water. I tried putting Go Pro into water at 5 - 3 knots on a pole that was about 25mm diamater and almost lost my arm along with camera and pole.

I seriously didnt anticipate that much drag while moving. We were trying to record dolphins.
www.assassinsportsfishing.com
www.facebook.com/assassinjigteam
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jedijay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 3:29pm
Jedijay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'll be making something like this for trolling http://www.dredgecam.com/home 

Would like to get some underwater shots of dolphins in a workup, might have to get a wetsuit and jump in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 3:44pm
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That Dedge Cam is awesome. Been researching how I can make one this week. But want to have a camera wired to a screen on the dash so I can watch fish coming in when trolling. Looking at trying a cheap reversing camera for a car. But want to record as well so may need it to go through my laptop....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 4:38pm
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alex i used a wide angled webcam, housed in perspex just small enough to touch the sides of the cam on all sides.focusing can be done by the laptop or mini i think while i was at it i made it see infrared light by removing the filter..and i used an extension usb cable. i made it work but need something to stop water ingress as silicone did not cut the mustard or the heat made it condensate inside the housing...could always inject argon gas inside i guess..i then attached it to a rope or cord of sorts with sinker weight so it sinks below about 2ft more or less...so this is a work in progress ..i dismantled it, and will later rebuild it when i have the $$..