Moocher Article!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moocher Article!
    Posted: 15 Aug 2002 at 1:46pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For those that don't subscribe to the Northland Reports on this site and are interested in fishing for them winter reds then this article by Steve Radich should get the juices flowing....ooooooh eeeer!

Steve s Report
I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jack Sprat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2002 at 7:31pm
Jack Sprat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Bloody brilliant report!

My juices are flowing..eerr so to speak.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2002 at 11:13am
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep, It's a good report alright. I reckon he's on to it with his theory as to why the big ones stick around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2002 at 11:55am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

JW..indeedy...

and to reitterate...most of the snapper we have been getting from the Northland coast (shallows) have been chocker full of kina/sea eggs and bits and pieces of crayfish...very interesting!

I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2002 at 4:03pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Having a large body mass is of no advantage as far as heat retention goes for an animal that is cold blooded.

I agree completely with the crayfish theory. When cray hunting in the shallows, I've often had snapper of the size that are normally extremely wary swim up to me bold as brass (and got a spear through them for their trouble). They seem unable to resist the chance of a feed of cray. Would make awesome bait.

Big rays also chase the soft crays in the shallows. It's quite something to watch them select a cave, seal it up with their undersides and then 'vacuum' the crays out by drawing water through their mouths and ejecting it out the spiracles on the tops of their heads. They must have a lot of grunt as the water that comes out of them is all stirred up with sediment and it dos'nt take long before the whole ray disapears in a cloud

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2002 at 4:14pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Long John - quite the most intelligent thing I have ever heard from you-  but admittedly you did not have much to beat.

I speared a 5.5kg and 6.5kg snapper from a big herd of snapper that were after soft shell crays at Little Barrier once. They did incredibly stupid unsnapper like behaviour and would literally get in the cray hole with you when you found and were struggling with a cray.

Does not happen often though so enjoy it when it does.

Russ