NZ DIVING/ BEUCHAT COMP THIS WEEKEND!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NZ DIVING/ BEUCHAT COMP THIS WEEKEND!
    Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 4:54pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hey Guys. Anthony from Beuchat has asked me to put up the flier for their comp this weekend out of Omaha. I missed it last year but by all accounts it was a good show, except that dick Fizzlesticks won a swag of prizes. Methinks I'll give it a crack this time around and see how we go.There are 2k worth of prizes up for grabs; the area is from Cape Rodney, out to and including Little Barrier, and down to Fairchilds Reef.

The briefing is at 7am on Saturday morning at the Omaha Boat Ramp.

People need to pre-register (it’s $25 and you can pay on the day) so if the weather plays up and they need to postpone they can let everyone know on Friday. To register yous need to call NZ Diving on 0800 NZDIVING.

Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 5:07pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

So, who's in? I'll have space for two. I reckon yous should get behind this, if for no better reason than that if we don't, these events will disappear. I guess with the growth in the intaweb, clubs are not doing so well and so there is no one to stand up and organise these things. Good on NZ DIVING for putting in the time and BEUCHAT for stumping up for prizes.
It's interesting (or at least I think it is), people talk about the growth in our sport and if measured by simple participation rates, I'm sure diving is growing but I wonder if 20 years from now, if comp diving continues to decline, the collective skill set will decline as well, simply because we will have lost our measure of what a 'good' diver is?
Forgive me, I'm drunk and emotional....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:49pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'll forgive you LJ as no one else will.  I'll let a few people know, but wont be able to do this one.  Very short notice though...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crusty rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 9:56pm
crusty rusty View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Go on, smash it! Approve

Would have been very keen with the long weekend and all
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote myboyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 7:57am
myboyblue View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm keen if anyone needs a partner / has space on their boat?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 8:22pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

There will be boats made available for the boatless. The forecast is for pretty grunty westerlies so shoredivers won't be disadvantaged is my call. Ideal level playing feild conditions! Will be fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 8:37pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would love to do it, but I have a conference in the Bay of Islands. Taking my gear but.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 8:55pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

but what? but you're strayan?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gundry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 9:10am
Gundry View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anymore news on this?  Any partnerless people out there only noticed this post today but I think I could be interested.  LJ got any more spots open?
Winter is Meh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kolt45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 9:45am
kolt45 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Saw this on the website:

New Zealand Diving Spear fishing Competition Rules 

Contact Details: 
New Zealand Diving 
22 Whitaker Road 
Warkworth 
Tel: 09 422 3599 
Mob: 021 221 3971 
www.nzdiving.co.nz 

General 
1. Each member of a team may carry one spear gun. 
2. Guns must be loaded by muscular force. Cartridge type, compressed gas guns and power heads are not permitted. 
3. Mask, Snorkel, Fins, Knife, Weight belt, Torch, and protective clothing may be used. 
4. Flashers, Flasher rigs, Fish attraction devices may be used. 
5. Each team must tow one Red, Yellow or Orange coloured float or Plat. This Float or Plat must be a minimum size of 10 litres. This equipment must be fitted with a divers flag of at least 15 x 20cm and be self-righting. 
6. Attached to the Float or Plat will be two lines. One being no more than 4 meters. The other being a minimum of 6 and a maximum of 40 meters. Either line may be bungee or part bungee. 
7. When in the water, divers must always be in a pair. 
8. Spare gear may be carried. (Caution: No guns or shafts may be carried hanging vertically in the water) 
9. Every team must carry an ‘Orange Safety Sausage’ or ‘Smoke Flare’. 
10. Divers under 18 years must be accompanied by an adult 
11. The use of scuba tank is not permitted in the competition. 
12. Fish are to be auctioned off at the end of the competition for the local coastguard 
13. Any fish caught inside the local marine reserves will mean all persons on the boat concerned will be disqualified. 

Weigh In and Scoring 
1. The minimum weight for all eligible fish will be 500 grams. 
2. Each team shall ‘Present’ only eligible fish in size, weight, species and number as specified for that competition. 

Otherwise they will be liable for 100 penalty points for any of the following breaches: 
 Undersize fish will be disqualified 
 fish that are less than 80% of the minimum weight 
 an ineligible specie 
 fish that do not meet the MOF regulations, or 
 more than the allowable number of any species is presented. 

Scoring: 
 100 points per eligible fish 
 100 points per kilogram 
 Maximum weight to be scored for each fish will be 8 kilograms. 

Eligible Species List 
2. The host club will be responsible for preparing the eligible species list. In doing so, they will ensure that no MOF 
limits or regulations are infringed. 
3. The eligible species list may include more than one fish per eligible species. 
4. The eligible species list will be provided to competitors at the time of registration Eligible Species List 

As an indication, this is the species list and number of fish allowed to be caught for each species 
Kingfish x 1 Snapper x 2
John Dory x 2 Tarakihi x 2
Trevally x 2 Kahawai x 2
Butterfish x 2 Boarfish x 2
Blue Mao Mao x 2 Pink Mao Mao x 2
Blue Moki x 1 Koheru x 2
Hapuku or Gamefish x 1 

Competition Area 
All competitors must launch from Omaha boat ramp. The designated area will run from Cape Rodney (outside of the marine reserves), across to Little Barrier and around to Kawau (Fairchild’s reef). 

Last Boat 
A boat will be nominated on the day as tail end Charlie, last boat to return. 
Safety Boats 

There will be several marshal/safety boats present on the day. A radio channel frequency will be confirmed prior to the event for communication during the day. 
In the event of a life threatening MayDay request, please follow standard protocol and use channel 16. 

Registration 
Registration must be before the start of the competition. No registrations will be accepted once the contest has commenced. Registration forms will be available on our website www.nzdiving.co.nz & at our dive centre. Address at the beginning of the form. Incomplete forms will be disregarded. All forms must accompany a registration fee of $25 per person. 

Dates and Times 
The start time of the competition is Saturday April 27th 07:00. Last weigh in will be 17:00

Charity Auction
Once the competition prize giving has completed a charity fish auction will be held to raise funds for the local 

Coastguard. All fish caught will be entered into the auction at the discretion of the organisers.
Reserve Date 

Sunday April 28th 
Final Reserve Date 

In the event of poor weather the date will be moved back to: Saturday May 4th 
Entries 

No entries will be accepted on the day. All competitions must registrar their names, boats and number of passengers 

It is the responsibility of the boat master to ensure that all of his passengers and crew return safely. 

Cancellation 
Notice of cancelation will be posted on the website, at the dive centre and recorded on the dive centre telephone 
system. 

Refund 
Refund is only available in the event of final reserve date cancellation. 

Disputes 
The judge's decision will be final in all matters
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 9:33pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Was a good day out. Pretty strong westerlies but very little lift so the coast was on. Crikes, it was pretty dirty though. Anyway, got a 10ish kg king first up, then a coupla weigher kohis out of clouds of 400 grammers, couple of blue mao mao, which turned out not to be on the list!. Fizzlesticks stumbled on a pb snapper when we went in shallow so we were sure he'd end up with the snapper prize.
Went looking for butters and another snap back at mathesons bay, which turned out to be a mistake so back to cape rodney to finish up the day.
Ended up winning, Fizzlesticks got the snapper prize and I the kingie prize so could have been worse!
Great event I thought, well organised and with ripper prizes. Hopefully will grow and thrive in years to come

Anthony from Beuchat, the major sponsor, scans the distant horizon dramatically for any sign of his belt

Drugs are bad, m'kay? 11 point summing

Evjuan Vesjua of the GCDC receives his prize for looking super or getting the most meritorious john dory or summing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 5:56am
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Champ is back.

Not the best conditions but a level playing field nonetheless. With a comp on the Leigh coast you'd never pick that there'd only be one Johnnie speared between ~30(?) divers!
We spent a couple of hours getting our blue maomao and Kahawai, which we got, only to be told at the ramp they were a late exclusion from the list- not only did we waste 2 hours, we were also 4 fish down on what we thought we had. Losers..... should've read the rules I guess?

Good bants all round.