Making the connection

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making the connection
    Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 1:31pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am rapidly learning that this silly string fun takes a wee bit more thought especially around Knots and connections.

What are the tips, tricks , knots and bits and bobs people are using at the sharp end for this silly string game ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 1:43pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you have seen that one I have been using mate, dont think I will change it ever
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 2:45pm
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I use the same knot on my 37s as I do on my 2 for mainline to swivel

doubled improved clinch  -  end of transmission
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 7:07pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Uni-knot for everything, fold the silly string back on itself (doubled) if joining to a thicker leader.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 9:48pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi all..  thinking of having a go on the silly string for a bit of fun.. both my son and I might have a crack.  I say "a bit of fun"  ... but I dont want to go busting off fish because of the wrong knots.

So just a bit of advice needed...  and there maybe 3 answers, because of the three line weights we will be using.  2kg   4kg and 6kg.

I was thinking no swivel???   yes no?

if yes..  what knot from the mainline to the swivel. ( double or single)

Should I do a double??  if so..  bimini?  spider? other?

What knot to tie the mainline to the leader..??

Hope you experienced guys can help Thumbs Up

James

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 9:57pm
Titanium
Titanium

I use my no name knot mate, no swivel and I use a false double, got some real nice snapper during the nationals on light stuff and no gear failure when hooked up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 10:12pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers for that Steve..  by a "false double"..  do you just mean doubling the main line when tyinging the "no name" knot...   so you dont actually tie a double..?
J
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 9:28am
Titanium
Titanium

yip fold and twist it up just adds more for the knot to grab and less chaff, if had worked for me for many years now and it appears many more are doing the same after a bit of tuition.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 11:26pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Steve... On the boat atm at Tutukaka..
8 caught today on the board for the one base.. Going to try 3kg for starters..
Will post results for the weekend... Good..bad or otherwise.
Jim
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 11:06pm
Platinum
Platinum

Well...  no big result for the weekend... but some encouraging experiences that mean we will give it another crack for sure..

My 13yo boy was using 3kg for Mahi...  it was the first time we have tried going this light for propper small gamefish..

First up he hooked and landed a 2kg mahi..  they go nuts on light line... jump all over the show.. but it was no match on 3kg.

Then he hooked a slightly larger one..  or it hooked itself...  were just drifting along, and then a mahi started to do cartwheels beside the boat...  after about 5 jumps we noticed the line in its mouth !!  came up tight... got it to the boat and then the join between the leader and mainline failed..

By then the mutton birds were making trouble..  hard to get a bait down.. 

We had a few "last goes... its geting late" :p

Then he hooked one close to the boat as he was bringing his line in..  I saw it come in and get the bait..   he played it for 10 mins in sloppy shyte wind swell..  got it to the boat and I grabbed the trace and was about to guide it over the landing net and the bloooody hook pulled Censored

It wasnt big.. maybe 5-6kg..   but it would have been a NZ record for him..

So we were both dissapionted..

so close... but so far...

Thats fishing..

J

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 11:22pm
Titanium
Titanium

nice mate well done, you have got the light tackle blues it gets worse lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 10:39pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Steve.. yeah...  I will have another go with my son as soon as the weather allows... great fun...  but I suspect a few more lost fish...  I will need to practice my knots though... had one failure..
I used the noname knot as you said.... but I was tying 3 kg to 37kg fluro.  the fluro was as hard as hell...  and I think the mainline could not "bite" into the hard leader.. to get a secure knot..
Do you know what I mean?

Do you just use standard nylon trace??

any tips will be gladly accepted !!

Cheers J

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 10:43pm
Titanium
Titanium

yip I recon so mate, hey try using 15k trace and circle hooks trust me If I could post piks from the phone or knew how too I could show you the results of last weeks efforts