Casting Distance

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daznz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Casting Distance
    Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 9:19pm
Daznz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What is your guys and girls max casting distance? What rods, reels , line KG, rigs etc are you using
Cheers Daza
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwicaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 9:27pm
Kiwicaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

With a 5 oz lead only

Anyfeild anywhere 14ft rod
Akios 555 reel
Sakuma nite crystal .31 dia line and ultima powerflex 80lb leader 

234.76m . Have gone further in practice but they dont count.

A recent survey has revealed that only one in seven dwarfs are happy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daznz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 10:30pm
Daznz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I should of asked casting technique too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwicaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 10:44pm
Platinum
Platinum

Pendulum casting for me .
But was taught to cast off the ground first and still think that you should cast that way until you can hit at least 180m+ before going to the pendulum cast.

A lot of rods in NZ are not up to the task of big casts so be careful . Smashed a popular new rod a few mths ago . Snapped 2 ft off the tip and ripped the butt section apart.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daznz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 6:37am
Daznz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for that , Phew there must of been some load on that rod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 6:43am
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I won't bother mentioning my official distance then, it's way under 180.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 7:16am
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Are we asking about off the beach as you mention rigs or distance casting from the shore? They are quite different.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daznz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 11:01pm
Daznz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by o Neill o Neill wrote:

Are we asking about off the beach as you mention rigs or distance casting from the shore? They are quite different.

I'm talking off  the shore I asked in the walk about forum and they sent me here hahahaLOL I'm interested in both sides of casting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwicaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 11:06pm
Platinum
Platinum

With my normal fishing gear and a baited rig 168.something.

Penn 525 mag and a Zziplex sst.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 11:14pm
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

my mistake dude- miss read your first post,

I use AnyFish Anywhere 6+ Bait rods and Akios 666SCMW reels- casting with bait approx 70-80 meters with std over head thump. Sakuma 6 kg line with a clipped down pulley rig or std ledger rigs(most of the time) 4-5 oz AT 5 oz breakout sinker.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 6:22am
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

150m range with a zziplex HSM,Soon to have a M4 GT, ABU 6500CT or daiwa 7HT mag, small clipped down bait using the Moonfleet designed rigs,150gm gemini lead, 15lb sakuma crystal line and a fishing pendulum. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 1:38pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by o Neill o Neill wrote:

150m range with a zziplex HSM,Soon to have a M4 GT, ABU 6500CT or daiwa 7HT mag, small clipped down bait using the Moonfleet designed rigs,150gm gemini lead, 15lb sakuma crystal line and a fishing pendulum. 

If you can cast 150 with a bait you should be on the casting court- that would = approx 190-210 with no bait
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 1:56pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes you are right it does put it in that field perhaps further be interesting when the M4 arrives as it is more powerful than a HSM its just getting used to the feel of the glass tip which is very different on the out swing compared to a carbon tip.
I would need reels suited to it also as my beach reels are set for that, 6 hours without a blow up!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 2:11pm
Titanium
Titanium

on average most people will only cast 60-80 meters with a bait off the beach- there are some (very few) that could cast further with a standard surf set up. Its very hard to work out distance when casting into the big blue as there nothing to relate it to- landmarks or rocks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 4:05pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A water proof marker and a sportsfield is the easy way to see how far in real terms bit of an ego killer for some. But yes some way to go for the casting here please don't try pendulum casting with the $200 of the shelf rods here unless you wish and three piece to become a four piece.
The running down the beach over head thump is a bit short in terms of real distance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daznz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 6:17pm
Daznz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A mate of mine casts 160 (field) over head cast  he makes it look easy putting baits where they ment to go .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 9:01pm
Big Kev View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I think the harder you try with the overhead thump the worse it gets but it would be nice to get out past the breakers without getting the old fella wet, especially in the winter
"The worst day fishing is better than the best day working"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jabba400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 3:54pm
Jabba400 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

With a 60g lure straight onto 80lb mono shock leader with a Warehouse $69 12' set can get about 85m off the beach (behind the third set on Kapiti beaches), using an overhead heave with the lure right at the rod tip.

Bought a K-Labs 18' off Trademe, can almost match the distance with a 4 oz sand grabber sinker and a whole pillie on a double hook rig (sinker high), with about 3' from tip to the swivel and sinker, the bait about another 1-2' below that. 

The 12' seems short in the handle, but light, so can bash out an overhead with little effort.  The 18 is a very heavy rod, so am trying to get the technique improved to load up the rod more.  I tend to wade out a bit (with the flat beaches here), so off the ground doesn't really work.   I am trying to use a similar action, before getting into the full on pendulum.

Built a couple of pulley rigs for the big rod, but they keep busting off because my knots leader - main were a bit dodgy.  Lengthened the shock leader a few turns, made a tidier knot, and seems to be working better.  Might try setting up a pulley rig in the future, see how it goes.

Only been fishing a couple of months, so still trying to figure out the best spots to fish from, times, tides, etc.