Spin Reels

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hunter72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spin Reels
    Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 3:17pm
Hunter72 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anybody used the Diawa Windcast X or Z models?...currently using a Axeon 90 and they are a great spin reel for distance casting..Interested to see if anyone has a view on the Windcast and their  performance. Reviews are mixed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 10:49pm
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Right I dont use egg beaters(spin reels) but do own a few of them, so this is my view only.

personal I find the Daiwa reels un-balanced and heavy-

For distance casting only you could strip them down e.g no drag,no side plates, replace gears with alui- you could also modify the bail arm(cut it off and make a hook for the line like the old mitchell reels). You really need to use the long cast tapered spool with .31 line and tapered leader(or parallel up to you). The idea with distance casting is as light as possible- on a 14' + rod you will notice it. (I can see the guys giving me some stick here)

Besides that they are a good fishing reel - flop around abit on the rod due to the rotor but not a real issue they have counted for some very good fish.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwicaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 11:03pm
Kiwicaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The windcasts are a nice reel and fairly light .But the reel stem does bend a bit under load ( price you pay for the light weight ) The emblem pros are stiffer but heavier...

For out and out distance shimano have some mad Europe and Japan market only ones which are both light stiff and have fantastic line lay and shape. Cost in the holy hell price range.

Unless your really starting to test the limits of your gear you probably wont notice a lot off difference between reels.

This thing is the current reel that most of the worlds big fixed spool casters use.

Most of the parts are custom made .

A recent survey has revealed that only one in seven dwarfs are happy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hunter72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 12:05pm
Hunter72 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys. Some good advice there...my set up is a left hand release with a fast release button to handle the loading. I actually imported a Mitchell Avocast....terrible, it just bird nested using it on the field with 8 pound and the tapered Leader. You live and learn.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote welshbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 8:22pm
welshbaz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That's one ugly looking reel there Neil, do you own one?
I use a Daiwa Emblem Pro 5000a, I find it a nice reel to use for fishing and it casts ok too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwicaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:32pm
Kiwicaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nah I would have no use for it . I dont get on with fixed spools that well.

However one of these would be cool.

A recent survey has revealed that only one in seven dwarfs are happy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote welshbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:39pm
welshbaz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

looks like its got a built in camera.... now there's an idea