white bait

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2002 at 7:17pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Grrrr mumble mumble...to the second part of your post Russel...still no blooooody sign of it...thinking of putting wheels on the boat of digging a chanel from the harbour to my house
As for the first part...you may use a little emery paper on the shaft of your spear but I can lend you a couple of fish bins for the offal..You need to aim just infront of the gill plate soas not to damage the fillette. I roll the fillettes in breadcrumbs and cover then in almonds...grill at a moderate heat and serve while piping hot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grounded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2002 at 7:05am
Grounded View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

OK, yuk it up, but the penny (5 cents?) has finally dropped. I was down at the river yesterday and this elderly chap was bemoaning his lot, having spent 3 hours dangling his muslin in the river for a handful of whitebait which he had in a bucket. Of course I commiserated and asked to eyeball his catch. They were kin tiny!! No more than 3cm long at best. This of course raised serious doubts in my own mind regarding my identification of catches i had made, on rod and line, as whitebait. Clearly they were not. The fish I caught were between 4 and 6 inches in length, slim, semi-transparent. They resembled smelt I caught in the UK, but didn't whiff of cucumber. So what were they?

Chris <rather embarassed>

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2002 at 6:51pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL Chris
Now all you have to do is eat some and you will also be captured by the taste...beware they are very addicting. just put an egg or two in about 250gms,fry untill they have turned white (turning once) and be ready for the taste sensation of a lifetime.
Let me know how you get on
\ps...didnt mean to have you on ..sorry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joseph Lau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2002 at 9:34am
Joseph Lau View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Chris, Chris, Chris, now I know you are not pulling our legs when you said you caught a couple on hook and line in your second post.

Any other confessions to make regarding any of the other more interesting species you caught ? ** Just kidding **

Barrie, pls do not elaborate anymore on how to cook whitebait, I think I am getting infected with whitebaitism.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2002 at 5:05pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK Joseph...no more
just
MMMMMmmmmmmmmm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2002 at 3:17pm
Cookie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well for what its worth heres my final whitebait report for the year.
In general would have to say it has been fairly quite in our district, total for the year of 15 pound with best catch 3 pound in an hour for me.
Apparently it has been firing just down the road in Waikanae (in more ways than one).
Gotta say though the season has been sh*t, with the weather being the biggest downer. Still suppose its still better than paying "twenty five bucks" for a fritter as they do up North.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2002 at 3:44pm
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Quote: I remember watching a T.V. programme somewhere where the guy devised a long line for hooking whitebait, but his tongue was firmly stuck in his cheek.

Hi Joseph, I saw this same programme. It was an episode of Gone Fishing and it was Darryl Crimp who was baiting up these miniscule hooks and throwing them in. He was catching whitebait every time and they hadn't just been hooked on as a joke. Even though he was trying to look serious he was definitely taking the piss.

Imagine how long he would have been there trying to catch enough for one fritter! Come to think of it, I'd probably do the same if I knew there was one of those delicious fritters at the end of it! Mmmm.
Page  <12