uninitated kingfisher

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingfisher 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: uninitated kingfisher
    Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 10:24pm
Kingfisher 74 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have surfcasted for manyyearsnow from taranaki north.I now have ten or so boating outings under my belt.Snapper galore,a few gurnard and a rig or 2.Im hooked on kingis.Wots a good rod reel tackle combo that i could outlay that aint guna break the bank,yet still have the kahunas to land a decent kingy?And secondly my little snapper rod is shimano eclipse and a gt200.Would braid improve the reel reformance?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 7:49pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That all depends on what type of fishing you're going to do. 
How are you targeting these kings? From the boat, from the rocks, surf or wharf? 
These things have to be taken into consideration when deciding what rod to get. Unfortunately we cannot have a rod for all purposes, however can come close. The length of the rod and the weight it can handle and the type of fishing you will do will have to be considered when deciding on a rod. 

Generally speaking however, you don't need to break the bank to target kings. It helps to have good gear that will last for years definitely however it is not completely necessary. When i was very young, (still young i know) i used to use dads ugly stick or my fave penn rod with my abu reel. Since then i have upgraded to much higher graded gear but I have caught fish on both types of outfits.  

The important thing to consider in my opinion is determining where you will be fishing and how. I like to buy an outfit that is the most versatile. Anyway, i think you might have to rephrase your question. How will you be fishing and where? Because these things heavily determine your rod choice. 

As per your question about the braid, i think that is also dependent on where you are fishing. Off the rocks, generally people stick with mono due to abrasion from the rocks. Soft baiting on a boat, most use braid. The search function is wonderful on this site and you can find a heap of info from some very experienced guys. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingfisher 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 8:30pm
Bronze
Bronze

Well cheers for the reply.Perhaps my lack of information was due to my ineptness on a laptop as opposed to my fishing knowledge.I realise that mono is better for fishing rock formations.Most the fishing off the boat is softbaiting on the trawl or straylining into a heavy burley trail at anchor.Ive yet to have a fish that has worked the rod let alone the reel,and the two big arms working it.My aim is to bag a kingy on this gear,and was wanting to strenthen the gear i have as much as possible,without having to buy a new combo.Sandy bottom in 3 to 4 mtres of water,and bugger all rocks round is our usual posy.I run 20 pound mono with 80 pound tough trace and an 8/0 hook.Livebaiting sounds the way to go but im just collecting advice at the mo,as i definitely dont want to be pinged or spooled.I hope this helps clear some factors of my rather vague first qeustion
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingfisher 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 8:38pm
Bronze
Bronze

Yes,thats rite.Targeting kingys with a shimano eclipse 10kg boat rod and a Shimano Gt200.6 kgs of drag on that reel.Is that delusional or doable?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingfisher 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 6:46pm
Bronze
Bronze

Well answered my own qeustion,grabbed my first rat kingy,15kg at 85cm,all on my shimano eclipse 10kg boat rod and gt200 running 20 pound mono and a snapper flasher of all rigs.Thats a fair fight i think.Hell of a current running though.Had to shelter in the lee of McCallums island,bloody westerly.Upwards and onwards.Still beat my mate who hookd a just legal running penn 15kg gear.Liveys next time.Watch this space.