Bread and Butter SWF

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bread and Butter SWF
    Posted: 19 Mar 2005 at 11:17am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My experience is very limited but rate myself a competent but out of practice frehwater flyfisher.

As per an earlier thread my limited swf experience has been fishing from an anchored boat in about 9m water of the East Coast Bays. I only have a medium / fast sinking line and have used muppets (on the dead drift - ok for mini snapps) and retrieving streamer flies for Mackeral.

What could I try with my 9 weight outfit in that situation? Slight current but not too bad. Would be keen on a 1-2kg red on the fly.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Renegade Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2005 at 5:15pm
Renegade Fisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have had success on reds with a shooting head and a chartreuse and white Clousers. Thus pattern is regarded as one of the best all round flies to have and very simple to tie.

R.F.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2005 at 9:36pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good on you - but I do not have a Shooting head! Does it matter that much.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2005 at 6:40am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

No, you can get by with an Intermediate if your fishing from an anchored boat. All depends on water depth. An Intermediate is the way to go in anything under fifteen metres of water. Fished with a weighted fly it allows you to do those really slow and deep 'creep' retrieves that snapper, trevally, and gurnard love.

To get away from the little fish move your fly sizes up to 2/0 plus. I have a couple of very good patterns that work beautifully when crawled over the bottom. Will post some pics sometime. Two kilo snapper and trevally really go when hooked on fly in shallow water. Peel the nine weight right into the backing.

Also - John Eichelsheim does very well in the upper Waitemata with good sized snapper on fly using a sinking line and booby flies.

Snapper on fly are actually quite easy.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2005 at 5:20pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thank you Craig - I will give it a go soon and see how I get on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2005 at 9:36pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just went out to the shed after my gamefishing trip where o saw meatballs over acres in area wished i had my fly rod got out my 10wieght to find the first eye above the handle stuff am i pssssssed off u better blieve it wanted to take it up nxt weekend to chase albies and skiipies dammmmmmmmmm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2005 at 10:14pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

BA it is pretty easy to put a new guide on. If a shop cant repair it in time for you cut the old binding off using the flat side of a craft knife, but only on the foot of the guide so you dont damage the blank. Take the old guide into a tackleshop and get one the same size and just tape it in place using insulation tape, just keep the tape stretched tight as you go. It will see you through a fishing session easily.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2005 at 10:25pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

smudge has it spot on BA. If that's not good enough, smooch your darlin', I'm sure she'd be happy to fork out for a new one

Old stuff is always suspect, buy a new one, it's only a few hundie's. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2005 at 5:31pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah for shore it is nopt hard to replace just pissssssses me off that my baby who i have not used for a long time has a buggered eye no worries i have a heaver 12w so will use that for now but dam it was skippy city and they would not hit a thing not even my old favorites or the uncle special roy left for me dammmmmmmm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2005 at 7:59pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Re: snapper and trevally on fly when you're fishing harbour channels, beach corners, rocks etc. Fly below is very effective.

Fly is known as an Interceptor. Dumbell eyed version for bouncing across the bottom in areas where you won't get snagged, bead head version for fishing further up.

I think Mr Cicada may be selling them soon.