Where to start

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to start
    Posted: 18 Mar 2005 at 4:10pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

I've had a sneaking interest in SWF for a couple of years, but I remember when I wanted to get into freshwater, being scared off by the salesman who just flumoxed me with the complexity of it.

I've done plenty of sea fishing so I know my way around normal rods and reels and locations to catch fish.

Can you please give me a few pointers about where to start - what sort of gear I should get.

Maybe a decent book or two ?

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2005 at 5:50pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i got a book some where but it was more to do with salmon fishing on the fly same sort of thing but at river mouths etc if you want to borrow some gear let us know dont mind a lend or two what goes around comes around i reacon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2005 at 7:11am
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ive got a 10 weight shane from kilwell...if you start on lighter gear then there is a chance youll snap it until your a expert caster...so im told..

i have a alvey reel which i bought for $200 which has a drag...i was sussing out the fresh water style of reel but for gods sake who wants a reel that looks pretty but busts your knuckles for $900!!...not me...and we know how simple and industructable avleys are...

could always pull a sickie and come up to HSB with me for a fish?...

Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2005 at 9:30am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Bender, get a nine weight rod and a fast sink Intermediate flyline. Stock up on some whitebait style flies, small deceivers, surf candies, and crazy charlies (I'll send you some of my 'Interceptors' when I find time  ) . Next find a spot of ten metres max water depth, one of those places with heaps of small snapper, kilo kahawai, trevally and jack mackerel, and fish the flies slow and gentle down a berley trail. You'll be surprised how the bigger flies will pull the bigger fish from amongst the babies. A good way to start, not too much serious casting involved and lots of fish.

Starting on the obvious- working kahawai- can be quite difficult on some days. You may need to do big casts and match the hatch.

Big Jack Mackerel under wharf lights at night are a good starting point too - small white fly skiiterd across the surface. Great fun.