Is fresh water gear ok for SWF?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is fresh water gear ok for SWF?
    Posted: 17 Mar 2005 at 9:47pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Kerren, I have a cheapie Abu IM6 8/9 wt that my wife bought me on sale at Stirling Sports for the princely sum of $200 about 12 years ago. I really looked after that rod and to me it was just the bees knees and I would never have thought of using it in the salt. I figured people that spent $500 or more on a fly rod were just plain silly.

I decided after a few years that since I had not been trout fishing for a couple of years and fly fishing with kids was not a good mix i weakened and tried SWF, first for piper, then yellowtail, jack macks and finally Kahawai. I didn't own a boat back then and have never used a fly rod from a boat.

When I found a good kahawai fishery on my doorstep I was down there every other night in the winter catching kahawai up to 2.5kg on line weights down to 2 kg. After a few sessions I was fishing one night and into a good fish when the reel seat fell off ... followed by the reel. I had to let the kahawai race off, hold the rod with one hand and try to retrieve the reel with the other. Luckily I managed to get it back and I stuck it in my pocketand hand line the fish in. I was standing on a rather narrow breakwater pole at the time on a very swift out going current. While trying to get the fish I managed to snap the rod, I dont think I point loaded it but in retrospect I probably did, rather trying circumstances and all. The rod now sports an Okuma butt section and casts ok.

I dont think it was exposure to salt water that made the glue come unstuck and casting is not my strong point and I had whacked my ugly salt water flies into the blank a few times.

Because where I fish is very shallow I used a floating line a WF8F cheapy from KMart. A big kahawai was at the comfort limit of this rod and although a cheap set the drag was very smooth. The bigger fish would take out a lot of line on 2kg but because there is no water pressure on the light line that doesnt worry it like it does on more conventional light tackle. None of the fish I caught - and they were only kahawai - really threatened to spool me but even a rat kingfish would have been a real handful I would think.

So you can use your fresh water gear but it is limited and the reels corrode like buggery if you dont clean them .

I would use trout flies on anything other than bait fish.

Got to go, I have interviews to do

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2005 at 10:21pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

excellent Smudge...thanks mate, top bit of reading!

Speaking of that winter spot....I think Squid and I need to come out and pay you a visit.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2005 at 11:57pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Aye.

Spent way too long down there last night catching jack macks and piper for a weekend 'Friendly' Work comp. Saw a couple of kahawai but still a little early yet. Late April she'll be all on. I'll save up for some beer and whisky.

LOADS of mullet jumping last night too, I have never heard so many in the harbour, netters have been getting lots too so there should be some kings around. Nothing hassled my live bait in 4 hours.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2005 at 5:41pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good read smudge hey if you want i can lend you my 10weight kilwell uo to you dont mind lending it.

B.A

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2005 at 7:04pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

OOps re read my post I meant I would NOT use trout flies on anything other than baitfish...

Blue, may take you up on thet offer when squiddy and kerren come over to my place to play.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2005 at 7:22pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

no worries smudge it is here help your self and if you do a runner i work with a few shall we say collectors lol no worries let us know mate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2005 at 9:15pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have had abit of a go myself on a 9 weight outfit on the Murrays BAY REEF. Caught a few snapper to about 27cm on glo bugs and muppets while the Jack mackeral would happily take smaller streamer flies. The Jack mackeral can pull for their size but in the limited times I tried never connected with any reasonable Kahawaii.