Queenstown - trouble spinning for trout

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Queenstown - trouble spinning for trout
    Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 10:34am
sol View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi crew...

I'm over from Aus for a few weeks, spending time in Queenstown. Brought the spinning gear thinking this place was a trout mecca but I'm yet to have much luck. Pulled in two yesterday morning around dawn on lake Wakatipu, using a black and gold toby from the shore. All up I've fished about 3 full days dawn to dusk and only have these two rewards.

So far I've just fished the lake and a bit past the bridge near Frankton. Have also heard there are plenty of other lakes nearby, plus two rivers that are supposed to be somewhat productive near Glenorchhy. I'm yet to venture up there however. The water is extremely clear in the area, causing some headaches I think for spinning? I'm a total beginner, but have gathered that this clear water maybe a cause for concern. The lake itself is also really deep. This may be a hassle also?

Just looking for some local knowledge around the area and some recommendations for spin fishing spots within an hour or two drive distance. Or any recommendations regarding what I might be doing wrong. It seems strange that I have been so unproductive, unless I'm making some mistakes along the way, which is quite likely. Please help me turn my trip over here into that memorable trout fishing experience that I can brag to my mates about!!

I have about 2 weeks to kill and if i can find some productive fishing in the area I was considering hiring a car and doing a bit of camping etc... for a few days or so and just cruising around spinning where it is promising. If any one has some ideas of where I could go for a few days to a week trip that would be really awesome too.

My setup:

Shimano t curve and 2500 spinning reel.
Running 8lb braid and a 2m 8lb mono leader. Is that too heavy for the leader?
Lure selection includes a few tassies, a few tobys, a few rapalas.

Techniques I've been using:
As I said I'm a total beginner to spinning. Just running the lures on the mono with a snap swivel and hoping for the best with a decent cast and retrieve. The lake is deep so not sure how to get the lures down other than to count it out and see if weed appears on the trebles.

Any suggestions or advice, recommendations for spots nearby, or locations for a trip would be realllllly appreciated. Also would be keen to meet up with any other anglers nearby if any happen to read this! Cheers New Zealand bros!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 5:05pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey mate,were heading down to work in queenstown on saturday,will be there for a week,will drop you a line and let you know our plans( via this site),in the meantime go up to "moke lake" great place and lots of fish,evening is good,walk around the back going up the hill and over the top,to get there head sth on the glenorchy road for about 5 ks,turn right when yo see the moke lake sign and follow your nose up and over the hill,theres 2 lakes there both have fish,they are very shy fish,a float with a fly under it on very light fluoro carbon works well
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southhook44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 9:21pm
Southhook44 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mate pm me and I will take you out on the lake for a troll get you a rainbow and a salmo or two
LIving the Dream...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 10:02pm
Jwest View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You could drive to Wanaka and fish the Clutha, you can pretty much walk either side from luggate bridge to lake Dunstan, theres amazing spots all the way along, fish black and gold or green lightning stripe tobies. The old blue fox silver squidgy fish worked a treat too, you may be able to find a similar soft plastic somewhere. Fish across and down, let the lure sink as much as you can and retrieve fairly slowly. 
The rise just before dark is pretty wicked, should be starting to happen about now, if you're using spin gear you could try a bubble and fly and try a small wet fly floated down the current. Great river...makes me wanna get there for a fish!