surfcasting reel on a budget(under $180)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freshfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: surfcasting reel on a budget(under $180)
    Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 7:11pm
freshfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Been going around and around in circles looking for a pure surfcasting reel for less than $180, preferably much less. At this point my brain is fried so would appreciate any suggestions, what I found a lot was that the reels that look suitable I could not find any feedback on the internet about, all the feedback seems to be on the more expensive reels.
Here are some of the ones I considered -

Shimano Aerlex 8000 $160

Daiwa procyon 5500 , very cheap at $68

PENN Spinfisher 950SSM $130

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwicaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 8:25pm
Kiwicaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Dawia crosscast. $160 or so and a better surf reel then those already listed.

A recent survey has revealed that only one in seven dwarfs are happy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freshfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 11:31pm
freshfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Do you mind me asking in what way is it better?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwicaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 12:13am
Platinum
Platinum

Better balance to the main rotor ( less wobble when retrieving ) then the shimano.

Better line lay and shape to the spool for longer casting then the penn.

The procyons are a true budget reel and wont last a long time unless your careful with it and spend time on maintence

I sell a lot of the crosscasts and to date I have not had a single one back for any reason other then owner error .

The only feature they dont have is an automatic bail trip so you have to close that by hand but most people do anyway.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freshfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 11:47am
freshfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks a lot, that's really helpful information.
By automatic bail trip I presume you mean after casting it does not trip back into the right position when you wind the reel, I never would have imagined such a thing was anything back standard, in my limited experience I've never known a reel not to have it so this was very surprising to me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 12:04pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Spend a touch more and get this...
http://www.marine-deals.co.nz/penn-reel/penn-conquer-7000-spinning-reel

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwicaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 12:18pm
Platinum
Platinum

I have never liked cranking a reel and having the bail slam over. Seems a bit rough to me .Much prefer just pushing it over by hand even on reels with a auto trip.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freshfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 12:37pm
freshfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I know what you mean about it feeling a bit rough, I think i have actually manually pushed it over sometimes just as a natural reaction, I would have to think about it a bit but don't see at this stage that no bail trip would put me off buying a reel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freshfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 12:48pm
freshfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks but not at this stage, would prefer to spend well less than $180 unless where talking a difference between crap and quality, any amount of money spent on crap is too much.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freshfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 4:33pm
freshfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by *fisher* *fisher* wrote:

Spend a touch more and get this...
http://www.marine-deals.co.nz/penn-reel/penn-conquer-7000-spinning-reel

Just done some googling of the penn-conquer-7000 and very quickly found many reports of quality/durability problems so will be steering clear of that one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote qsilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 5:30pm
qsilver View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

tica scepter gx, can  get it for $100, comes with three spools, great reel, i was persuaded by an asian fisherman that has been using his for as long as i can remember  and he has had no problems, ive owned mine for a year and have not had a single problem

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freshfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 3:56pm
freshfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by qsilver qsilver wrote:

tica scepter gx, can  get it for $100, comes with three spools, great reel, i was persuaded by an asian fisherman that has been using his for as long as i can remember  and he has had no problems, ive owned mine for a year and have not had a single problem

I was taking a closer look at my old reel and noticed the line roller had a groove worn into it by the line so I thought next reel needs to have a titanium line roller but I wondered how many reel listings would specify this feature, the ones i had been looking at didn't but then I seen your post and checked out the tica you suggested and low and behold the listing mentions it has a titanium line roller. It looks like this reel might be hard to find for sale anymore though, a lot of sites that did have it no longer do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote welshbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 6:38pm
welshbaz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I would listen to kiwicaster and go with daiwa. Tackle tactics currently have the crosscast 6000 on sale for $145.
I've a mate who owned the shimano Aerlex and had to take it back 3 times within 6 months. Another mate who had a Tica sceptre and had the bail arm snap off without much provocation (or so he claims). I used to have an Okuma Axeon that had to get sent back twice. 
Owned a Daiwa Emcast for a while which was awesome until it got nicked. Now I've got a daiwa Emblem pro 5000 which is a nice reel, very smooth to reel in and casts well. 
The line roller on all reels are likely to suffer from seizing up and getting a groove from your line. Regular cleaning and maintenance is required to keep it rolling smoothly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freshfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 12:06pm
freshfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by qsilver qsilver wrote:

Was really tempted but can't go near it now I read they have had quality control problems in recent times, http://www.stripersonline.com/t/769793/tica-gx-scepter-gear-alert

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote willis likes to Jiggy Jig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 10:07pm
willis likes to Jiggy Jig View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

less moving parts less to go wrong..!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote willis likes to Jiggy Jig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 10:21pm
willis likes to Jiggy Jig View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Im still yet to find a soild surf reel that can handle the jandel..jst in last couple years ive  been threw 3 Shimano Big bait runners and a couple diawas  and now have a gone for the Penn 850.I aggree they dont have the deep spool like id like for distance but has never bothered the old boy and he can get awsum distance.!!!!. My old man used the penns for many years and still does and rates them for value for money.. solid stray linning reel also... when they die he jst thorws it in the bin and gets another.. pretty ruthless i no...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hayden N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 6:17pm
Hayden N View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ive got 2 Tica surf reels and they are very good value for money.
Im currently using a Tl9000 Abyss which I got for $100 but is normally 150-200.
A more cheaper reel that's still very good is the Spinfocus which can be got for around $100. have landed Large Sevengill sharks on both these reels with ease.