Any good Whangamata fishing locations.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Failbait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any good Whangamata fishing locations.
    Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 2:44am
Failbait View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm Heading to Whangamata later on in the summer, i was wondering if anyone is willing to share any good spots within walking distance, cheers! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Failbait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 2:51am
Failbait View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

wharfs, surfcasting, landbased are the main ones i could think of.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 7:36am
KingySlayer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Pokehino bro. HEad out towards Onemana and turn left at top of hill before Onemana. Also Southern End of Onemana BEach off the rocks is always a good time. Hopefully some other Locals can add to the Mix mate...
www.assassinsportsfishing.com
www.facebook.com/assassinjigteam
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Failbait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 3:07pm
Failbait View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers man! Keep them coming :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Failbait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 3:09pm
Failbait View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Is it one of those places where you can only go in and out during low tide?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 4:05pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

You could always walk down to the "Whanga Bar" and through your surf caster there... However you need to be aware of boaties coming in and out of there as it is not to far to cast across to the peninsula.

You could always go down to the Whanga Estary and have a play...

There is a point called "Teraki Point" I have seen surf casters out there before but that is a we drive from Whanga and possibly a walk (I have never done the walk before). So for this spot head to Onemana again and turn right at the top of the hill before Onemana and head like 10k on a gravel road back toward Whanga. At the very you are at at the Peninsula lookout.

I am not sure what Whitiora has to offer as have never been for walkies down there to flick bait. But the Whitiora Blow Hole is always good for a walk if a nice day and you get board.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 4:19pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ive been down that road and walk Slayer, is a great walk! Didnt take the rod though....

For the Pokehino Hill, is that called Normans Access Rd now? Last time I was there it was locked off due to logging at the time. I'll be spending a bit of time in Opotuere this summer and will try hit heaps of spots.  Theres a small jetty on the northern side of the Opoutere estuary where you can catch kahawai and piper, saw two massive kingies cruise under the jetty last year, it was awesome.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 8:02pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Oh yes thats right the gates i forgot to mention that... i think they close around 7.30pm unless they are logging as stated above then they are shut. Opotere... yeah lovely secluded we spot. When the tide goes out there, she is out. Other best way FailBait is head down to Bubbas fishing and hit up Ryan aka "Badfish" on here. He is the pretty looking guy    (the huge unit behind the counter always talking), nah bloody good guy and he will tell you where to generally go.

Hope this helps you mate...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote family affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 9:00pm
family affair View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

anybody got any more info for this area heading over there for a bit of landbased on saturday
mv maui
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Failbait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 4:49am
Failbait View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sounds good, Has anyone tried out the wharf in Whangamata?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Failbait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 5:02am
Failbait View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Might try out the peninsula, once you get to the end of the road is it a long walk to the rocks?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tom Daniels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 9:12am
Tom Daniels View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Te Ananui beach bro, head towards Onemana again take the right forestry road at the top of the hill, (it is sign posted) about 3/4 of the way side road shoots off to the left car park at the end, easy walk down the walking track,(about 10 mins) steep climb back, about the middle of the beach is  good,think the gate closes at 7pm,there is a sign there. Google earth it so you have a idea of where it is,also Opoturei bro wicked beach for surfcasting,go past the Onemana turnoff to the next village turn right at the school, follow the road, hope it helps
I fish because the voice tells me to
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 10:44am
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

go to the wharf in whanga and drop down a burley log at the start of the runout tide, live bait some of those macks and hold on, last time I was there by doing this there were kings everywhere, and some JD's too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Failbait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 2:59am
Failbait View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

where abouts is the wharf location
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 8:28am
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Terakihi point looks good, dont try to bush bash down... looks like there's a track (google earth) but I couldnt find it last time I was there... Ive fished the wharf and landed JD and hooked kingfish.
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Scooby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 1:16pm
Scooby View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I fished Onemana,Opoutere over Xmas new year.   Dead as,which it usually is this time of year. Only a stingray for me which is probably halfway to Chile by now complete with sinker,trace.Never seen a stingray break  the water surface before but this one did.
March April are primo months.   Anyone want to tag along oneday let me know,beachhouse at Onemana.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 2:38pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

anyone know how the fishing is at the mo?

heading down next thursday for the weekend and keen to get a line wet.

cheers,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishermandan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 9:45am
fishermandan View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys, new on here. Currently in opoutere and keen to check some good spots possibly family friendly or easy access, any advise? Went down to pokehino hill yesterday was fun just a mission carrying kids back up the hill. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the gas man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 12:05pm
the gas man View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Could do a mission over to Tairua, drive up Mt Paku and climb down to the rocks on the ocean side. I've been down with my kids, but it does get steep in couple of places. Fish 2 hours either side of low tide. With a crack for a Kingi
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Welsh Contingent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 10:14pm
Welsh Contingent View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys, I know this thread is old, but hoping you can help: What is Whangamata surf casting like at the moment, and could one of you kind people point to some possible spots suitable for young family (3 kids ranging from 6 to 11 yrs old) where we have a chance of catching some decent fish and safe for kids to swim? How safe is the area if I wanted to set up a camp for overnight fish? (can't walk too far, but do have 4 wheel drive vehicle), anything you can share would be very much appreciated