Fake Lures What Would You Do?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fake Lures What Would You Do?
    Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 10:27am
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just bought a bunch of Rapala lures off Trade Me, only to find out after pick up that they where fakes. As you can see below there is a big difference in authentic and fake! I will leave it up to the individual to spot the counterfit lure.

So this raises a question I have, what to do? Ummm, the guy is more than happy to refund my money and is playing the inoccent card and claiming that he thought they where legit, just kind of pisses me off that this kind of stuff is getting more widespread, and although only cost me $30 it still has deprived other honest traders a potential sale (i got 5 lures for my $30). They were brand new lures in the box, and the guy suposedly imports them from the US.

They may work ok but the fake one is painted with a fake 3d holograpic look whereas the original is built into the lure. He also advertised them as Max Raps (which is designed to work better in surf , and saltwater land based conditions), this is an XRap copy. I'm also picking the fake will only last me a few sessions as the paint will scratch off and hooks will rust.

What would you do?...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 10:37am
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't bye something that is too good to be true $30 for 5 lures I would raise my eye brows get ya money back
But be carefull what u buy just because it's a deal don't mean it's the real thing why are they each over here normally $10-$15?
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 10:45am
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Agreed green guy this thought ocurred to me only after I clicked "Buy Now", Checked out the boxes in the auction post and all looked authentic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 10:54am
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Have you tried them to see what the action is like?You generally tend to find the actions on the cheaper lures is crap.I found out the hard way & have quite a collection of non-swimmers.They could come in useful in snaggy areas where more expensive lures fear to tread.Though it would piss me off as well to find they were not what I had bid on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TCG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 10:56am
TCG View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You have to be careful with rapala's on Trademe. If they are considerably below normal retail then they are most likely fake. Also alot of traders list as Rapala style or something like that. Sounds like the real deal but its just another term for fake rapala. Pays to read the listing carefully to pick up on things like that. If they were listed as genuine rapala's though then I would be going for my money back and maybe even tell trademe as its against terms and conditions to do that when they are fake.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 11:13am
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Heres the picture from the auction....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 1:30pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmmm... indeed, no way you could have known they were faux rapalas from that.
Return them if you want, but.... if they work, perhaps just accept that they are elcheapo knock-offs, if they last, fine, if not,hell, 5 lures for $30, you'll at least have had your moneys worth....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaypeegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 7:45pm
jaypeegee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Brown Dog Brown Dog wrote:

So this raises a question I have, what to do? Ummm, the guy is more than happy to refund my money and is playing the inoccent card and claiming that he thought they where legit, just kind of pisses me off that this kind of stuff is getting more widespread, and although only cost me $30 it still has deprived other honest traders a potential sale (i got 5 lures for my $30). They were brand new lures in the box, and the guy suposedly imports them from the US.

What would you do?...

Hmmm... I would alert TM if the guys advert doesnt change. All very good to say "I didnt know they were not the real deal" (Not for a second does that resonate as true.)

I see Rapala STYLE lures on some of the sites like dealextreme and DHGate and wonder how well they swim.

Certainly good prices but I suspect by the time you rig them with better rings and hooks the price would not too disparate.

"You don't have to be smart to laugh at a fart, but you have to be stupid not to."