Shimano baitrunner 6500 bail arm issues.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clemmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shimano baitrunner 6500 bail arm issues.
    Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 2:36pm
Clemmo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey fellas.  The bail arm on my 6500 doesn't like to return to its rightful position after casting.  I guess the spring mechanism is shot or something.

Have any of you had this trouble? If so is it a quick fix? How much would the repair be?

Cheers
Clemmo
>)))))> www.harbourheatpumps.co.nz <(((((<
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bam_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 4:55pm
Bam_ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My one got a little bit sticky after I forgot to rinse it down. Gave it a quick clean with water then a very good spray where the arm joins at each end with inox. Worked it 20 or so times while I was spraying it & is now like new again.
Viking Maniyaks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clemmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 6:00pm
Clemmo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have cleaned it up and put some greese on it.  Will try inox.  Sounds like that is the popular choice.  Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 6:03pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mine did that. I stripped it and cleaned and found that the metal washer on one side had rusted solid can't get it out to replace it either but lubed everything up with Corrosion-X and it closes with a swift spin of the handle now.

I typically close it by hand, that's why I didn't notice the stiffness for a while... Embarrassed
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tyrannosaur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 7:10pm
Tyrannosaur View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Could always send it in for repair... and a service at the same time? cheap enough
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clemmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 9:48pm
Clemmo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just wasnt sure if they charge an arm and a leg for parts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tyrannosaur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 10:01pm
Silver
Silver

yeh guess it would depend on what they need to replace... Hunt sports in Milford seem to be reasonable
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SufixRockMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 10:11pm
SufixRockMan View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

its a design flaw unfortunately
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tyrannosaur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 11:17pm
Silver
Silver

hmm yeh there are worse out there how ever... CAnt really say salt build uo + bait + not cleaning is a design flaw. Mines still mint after years and years of rock dutys. and hard work
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 6:10pm
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hey Clemmo
The Baitrunner 6500 is an excellent reel, however like all things metalic they do require servicing once a year to prevent issues like this , I would think that the pivot screws/washers are corroded therefore preventing a free movement of the bail arm, so soak them in Inox, or tackle guard or similar, see if you can get them moving freely, otherwise it may be best to send the reel to a reel doctor such as Swordfish Marine or Jeff Murray or Hunts Sports for a bit more work to get it sorted, FYI we generally charge around $40 + parts for a service, so not going to break the bankSmile
cheers swordfish steve
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clemmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 8:17pm
Clemmo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers steve thats great. 
I have tried to keep the reel tidy but I have had it for over 5 years now with no professional servicing.  Until now I have had no problems with it despite it being my go-too shallow water setup.  It really is a brilliant reel.  Will give it some TLC and a service if need be.
Cheers 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwis fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 1:59pm
Kiwis fly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What was the outcome in getting the arm to return as mine does the same and quite a pain I must say...It needs a new spring by the look of it and wondering if that is even possible now as don't make these any more ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 7:48pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you need to watch the bail roller on the 'B" versions too.....a drop of reel oil after every trip...same goes for the bail arm......reel oil will do a better job than inox.....if you grease....inox and the like can break it down.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 6:42am
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Good Advice right there from Laidbackdood
Great avatar Jon
A little drop of oil in the right place would save guys hundreds of dollars, hard to get some fishos to wash their reels let alone maintain them with a little lubrication, that's why its called preventative maintenance, anyway my  box of junk reels get bigger and bigger by the day.
cheers swordfishsteveWink
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 12:05am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by swordfishsteve swordfishsteve wrote:

Good Advice right there from Laidbackdood
Great avatar Jon
A little drop of oil in the right place would save guys hundreds of dollars, hard to get some fishos to wash their reels let alone maintain them with a little lubrication, that's why its called preventative maintenance, anyway my  box of junk reels get bigger and bigger by the day.
cheers swordfishsteveWink
Thank you sirWink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.