Addiction #2

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Addiction #2
    Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 4:54pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well I am now going to build an Over head popper rod, going to use an E glass about 7"6.

can anyone tell me where I can get those leather handle wraps from.

also how does one go about buying guides I mean where can I just say ok I want a set to handle 50lb braid and for an O/H rod design.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 8:14pm
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey BA have a look at this thread, might put you on the right path

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/stick-bait-rod_topic72256.html

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 8:26pm
Titanium
Titanium

thanks for that Stefan, read it and found it more to do with egg beaters, got the blank sorted got the eyes believe they are all fuji but have decided to get maybe another 2 or 3, am seriously thinking about positioning the reel seat about 2 x hand spans from the butt, this will mean casting will be normal but the left hand used to control the spool, some find this hard but it is how the salmon rods are made and dam can they cast well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 8:41pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

well I am now going to build an Over head popper rod, going to use an E glass about 7"6.

can anyone tell me where I can get those leather handle wraps from.

also how does one go about buying guides I mean where can I just say ok I want a set to handle 50lb braid and for an O/H rod design.

Try a sports shop that sells tennis rackets, mate of mine used the leather grips on his surf rod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 8:59pm
Titanium
Titanium

ok cool thanks mate will go to sterlings tomorow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 9:11pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's the same way all my OH rods are rigged, low reel seat.

I am heart for that configuration. Could be brave and make it even lower, 1 1/2 hands, nice long foregrip should be able to bang poppers a fair way if the blank loads decently.
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 9:50pm
Titanium
Titanium

yeah am going to use the Diawa 80J E glass mate, will look for one of those heavy duty game rod reel seats, trouble is it may add up the weight a bit, will have a look at a few and see where to.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 5:24pm
Titanium
Titanium

ok so it will be both for braid and mono, but what eyes would work best remembering it is an O'H, the high looking ones with the inserts think they maybe fuji or the low style of the stainless type, if I do go down the road of the lower profile then I will add a couple closer to the reel seat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 6:59pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Where did you get the 80J blank from?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 8:19am
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sorry BA just re read your post missed the overhead bit. Yeah what Tomatron said where did you get the blank from
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 12:29pm
Titanium
Titanium

I got the complete rod from swordy steve but it has the cork handle and no reel seat, so have or am in the process of stripping it down and a remake, just waiting for all the thread to turn up and see how we go for colours.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 9:34pm
Titanium
Titanium

I see mud-hole have the blanks as well less than $100 US, am going to put an order in for dome gears I think, some nice stuff in the catalogue