Bycatch - what are the facts?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bycatch - what are the facts?
    Posted: 22 Jan 2003 at 10:27am
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A quick qustion - is anyone here actually in the know as to the amount of commercial bycatch and quota species discarded?  Does anyone on this forum have access to any studies or statistical data on the amount of fish thrown back because it is the wrong species or wrong size? How much does the minister actually allow for discarded fish in setting the TAC?

I have requested this info from MFish, but wonder if anyone else has it.

I am a tad concerned to hear that about 25% of world fish catch is discarded and want to confirm teh situation here.

I am also interested to know estimates of recareational bycatch and undersize mortality, or breakaway mortality. 

Thanks to anyone who can help.  No hearsay or unsubstantiated rumours please.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2003 at 12:25pm
Paul M View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I heard that last weekend a well known spearfisherman was trying to shoot a leather Jacket out at Ruahine and accidently shot a Marlin by mistake.

If he had landed it would this be considered by catch?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote trevally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2003 at 8:50am
trevally View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Mr Reidfish

From what I understand there are only estimates of bycatch & mortality. When considering a fish stock and any changes to the TAC, TACC Mfish put out a paper called an IPP - Initial position paper. In this it has the amount allowed for "other mortality" which includes discards, bycatch.

The following is an excerpt from the TAR1 IPP 2002
Other Sources of Mortality
37 No quantitative information is available on the level of illegal catch or other sources of mortality. Since the proposal is for a bottom trawl fishery which will have an element of incidental target species mortality associated with gear contact and escape, it is proposed that, within the TAC, an allowance of 20 tonnes is made for other sources of mortality. The allowance includes unreported or illegal catch.

The proposed 20 tonnes is a nominal amount set in accordance with the policy regarding introductions of species into the QMS where there are no estimates, but other sources of mortality are known to occur. A minimum legal size applies to tarakihi, so some mortality must be associated with returned (undersized fish � all sectors), particularly given the greater depths from which they are taken (barotrauma). MFish considers that an estimate of illegal and unreported catch of 10 % as used in the assessment models for SNA 1 would be too large because tarakihi are taken generally much deeper than many of the other inshore species, and so their vulnerability to illegal �black market� fishing is reduced.   

Hope this helps answer one of your questions. IPPs can be found on the Mfish website.
cheers
trevally
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2003 at 10:22am
Spina View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Howdy all ,Did you know that if a trawler fisherman catches a species that he has no quota for he has to pack it and record it and when he gets to port he has to turn it over to the crown and they do well what with it? who knows but Its gotta be just another revenue collecting scam,They say its a waste off fish thats bull sh*t it should all be thrown back and it would feed the other creatures that live in the sea, The goverment are just as bad as any pillager the way they scaveng any thing that they can make money off,Any way the money should be put to use to help the ocean not fatten there gutsy coffers.They tell us we should be paying a fee to get any change out off them but I figure that the money that thet take off foreign poachers and from fishermen bringing in unquotered species and from seized ships and boats that all get auctioned, That should be enough money to do what they want, the amount per year that they get offf fines and such like would floor ya  it runs in to the Tens of millions of dollars,Now then to the crux off the whole idea where does the money go???, Cause its a certanty that a good chunk off it is used for fat pay rises and free air tickets for all members off the elite polititions club present and passed,I would like to know why we continue to support our political free loader after they finish there free holliday in parlament, The Bastards freeload off us for the rest off there lives. Cheers Spina.
Dont waste your time trying to give me a hard time being in politics teaches one very quickly how to turn a deaf eye and a blind ear!
wheres my glasses cant find my hearing aids without them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2003 at 2:57pm
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi

No Dreemspina, I didn't realise that fish not listed in the quota still had to be packed. Seems a little wierd to me even though I know very little about the commercial fishing industry. Where does that info come from and if it's true, what exactly does happen to those fish that are turned over to the crown?
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2003 at 3:04pm
Spina View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hi kingfishsi , hows ya day going ,one off my brothers runs his own trawler and thats what he told the old man.I havnt had a chance to ask him the details yet but will next time I see him .Cheers Spina.
Dont waste your time trying to give me a hard time being in politics teaches one very quickly how to turn a deaf eye and a blind ear!
wheres my glasses cant find my hearing aids without them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2003 at 3:16pm
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Spina

Today hasn't been to great nor was yesterday. Went to have a fish at my rock spot up at Army Bay yesterday and was turned away by the cops because of that body that was found up there. For anybody not aware of this, that area will probably be closed to the public till Tuesday at the earliest, it all depends on how long it takes for them to complete their investigation.

Today I went down to the local wharf just to relax and have a look see. Afterwards decided I needed some practise changing my tyre so ran over a screw. Space saver does look pretty cool with the other mags though. Wheel has to be sent away to get the tyre vulcanized because the screw went through the side.

I might pop down to the wharf later and have a go. Have to get a line in the water sometime this weekend!

That's a big problem if that is true about the catch. Just removing food from the food chain for no reason is all that it is. Surely the fish should be returned even dead because something out there will eat it.
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2003 at 9:40am
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dreemspina said: 'if a trawler fisherman catches a species that he has no quota for he has to pack it and record it and when he gets to port he has to turn it over to the crown'

Sorry, but I don't think that's quite correct.  I understand he has to either buy the buy the quota to cover the by-catch, or pay a 'deemed value' to the crown.  The deemed value system has, apparently, been very successful.  Trade has developed in Annual Catch Entitlements for the bycatch species, and MFish says it has 'encouraged fishers to focus their efforts more on the species they were fishing'.   Prior to 2002, fishers were criominally  liable for not covering their by-catch with quota, which of course would have encouraged them to dump fish at sea.

As more species are introduced into the QMS, some of which are by-catch fisheries, the QMS will become more effective at controlling bycatch and its impact on those species.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote trevally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2003 at 8:56am
trevally View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Reidfish is correct here re buying extra quota & deemed values - these are set quite high to encourage more targetted fishing effort. Until the focus of our commercial fishery is changed from being output focussed and fishers are offered incentives to target species, the bycatch and deemed value regime will continue.