Rapala Lures LB

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rapala Lures LB
    Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 10:59am
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Anybody using Rapala lures off the rocks or beach?

Wondering which models would be best suited, have a few of the XRAP's allready and going to give them a go on KY, just wondering what would entice the Snapper?

Any info appreciated.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 11:09am
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Had some success with the X Rap Sub Walks on kawahai & small kingis & also the Skitter Pops especially in the natural looking mullet colours.Smaller Skitter Pops work well when the kawahai can be seen chasing whitebait or sprats in the shallows.Good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 11:18am
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Michael, you back from your trip?

We should catch up for a bit of Lure fishing on the Manukau. PM if you get a chance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 11:22am
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The CD18s are great for Kings, have hooked them up to 15kg. Mullet colour is good.
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 1:35pm
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Paul Yep back again.Both my wallet & lure collection suffered a bit on this trip.Always keen for a fish.PM sent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 3:06pm
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers LBGer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 3:37pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Have had good results on small kings with X-raps.

Also skitterpops:

Lovely lures, I always like to have a few rapalas of different kinds when I'm lure fishing. 

You get a decent cast with the X-raps, I'd guess better than the CD Magnum range, although I don't have any experience casting them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 3:58pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

rapala subwalk, slays the kahawai and got a couple of kings on it (not off the rocks though...yet)
best so far, on 6 pound fireline Cool

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 3:58pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Sorry mate, just re-read your post and realised you're after snapper. Some exciting stuff by Steven Tapp on hardbodied lures for snapper from his kayak. Also Michael Jenkins has done a lot of experimenting.

I'd probably look at something like a small x-rap subwalk, convert the freshwater trebles to grunty singles and have a go around some kelpy edges. Or you could try lures like a Clackin-rap etc. Might need to go for a swim to retrieve your $30 lure when it gets hung up on a rock...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 5:29pm
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Whats the specs on that Power Play rod Ahab?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 1:32am
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

have had success on snapper with the shallow diving xraps of the rocks and the deeper diving verisons from a boat. I like the smaller sizes for snaps 5-6inchs or so
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 7:25am
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers Josh, that was my dilema , shallow or deep  diving lure. Ahab not particularly targeting Snapper, just interested to know if its possible and what would be the best type of Lure.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 10:56am
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just looking at the RAPALA Deep Tail Dancer, wonder if they might be useful, deeper diving lure....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVnGZFNEA5k
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crazyfisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 10:48pm
crazyfisho View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great shots off the Rocks Ahab!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 11:45pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I tried the x rap 30 off the rocks but seeing as its supposed to dive to 30 feet...i started getting paranoid it was going to get caught up on the bottom!.....CD 18 dont go so deep.....so would be more inclined to use the cd 18 or smaller.....they definitely have a good action.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Michael Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 7:30pm
Michael Jenkins View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hey paul, have just seen this. Snapper-wise I'm getting a few fish with "suspending" (as apposed to floating) x-raps in small sizes (designed for fresh water) off the rocks, i'm finding it key to spend a bit of time going full speed/lots of vibration, then slowing right down/barely wiggling, the full speed gets them interested, the slow down is when they bite, but the lure must either sink slowly or suspend when you slow down, the snapper that are following/interested will back away and not bite if the lure starts floating up. I picked that up from a talk craig wrthingon gave on his experiences with snapper on flies. becuse most of these sorts of lures are designed with fresh water, the suspending models often need a little bit more weight added to stop them from floating up, I've been adding split-shot to the hook attachment points which works, but they fall off when fighting a fish most of the time.

there are some little sinking rapala CD7's in NZ which should work well by my reckoning, i'll hop-to and pick-up a couple this week i think. Smile

....of course none of this is "the most effective" way to catch a snapper (or close to it), but fun to play with all the same.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 7:26am
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers for that Michael, funny you should post this, as last night got out the lures again after a wee bit of a lay off, and went chasing some Kahawai on the Manukau with "Landman". I managed my first fish on a Hard Bait! Had sucess with the Sebile Flat Shad, meanwhile Neil cleaned up with his soft baits, 4ky to my 1 but at least I proved to myself that they will work. Finding the Sebile lures a cut above Rapalas at the moment, for variety of action and quality.

We both enjoyed an in depth discussion on the way home on the whole Lure theory and look forward to experimenting more over the coming Winter, and hopefully will be able to add a few species to the catch list.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 9:25pm
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Have been using cd9 rapala s but thats of the kayak, snapper love them. Have an old one in orange and gold that unfortunately they don't make in this color anymore but thats my go to. Been working better than soft baiting