Softbait Wash Fishing

Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ponty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Softbait Wash Fishing
    Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 2:56pm
ponty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thought i would post a topic to see what people do with wash fishing. What softbaits? what colour? does it depend what season it is depending how well it will work? ie I would assume it would be better around winter time rather than summer because of the big snapper hanging around the rocks.

Had match fishing league guys fishing around us at tiri last weekend, basically looked like they just cast into the rocks let it drop wait for a bite and then reel it in. However I didn't see them hook up to anything.

Is this the best way to softbait around the wash? Was it more that there weren't fish around why they wouldn't have been having much action?

Million questions sorry, just doesn't seem to be many topics about it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 3:11pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Here's a summary of my guidelines for snapper wash SBing:

1.  The best places are where there's deep water right at the wash, or very near to it.

2.  Best in a good meaty swell (not just boat wakes).

3.  Give your SBs plenty of action.

4.  The SBs don't need to sink far - however, I use 1/2oz jigheads on 5" jerkshads to give lots of snappy movement to the baits.  I've found lighter jigheads don't work as well for me in the wash.

5.  Time of year doesn't seem to be critical - but, just as in the rest of my softbaiting for snapper, winter produces most of the really big ones.

6.  The bigger SBs seem to work a little better in summer, but not so much better that I bother using them any more.  Mine is a minority opinion here.

7.  Colours per se don't matter - but the more contrast in colour within a bait, the better it seems to do in the wash.

8.  Where the wash is against a cliff face or exposed reef (and the deep water is right there - see point 1.), cast within a foot of the rock.  Good fish can grab right up against the rock, and if you don't hook up right in close, you still get the maximum "soak time".

9.  White water and foam are where it's at.

For kingfish, similar, but:

1.  Use big, big SBs and heavier jigheads.

2.  Retrieve very fast and snappy from side to side.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ponty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 3:41pm
ponty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good info PJay, seems like a form of fishing that is worth a try. I have in the past overlooked it but maybe I should give a few trips to trying to see how I go and be willing to go home empty handed. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote No Major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 7:05pm
No Major View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Defiantly worth a go Ponty...

Pjay has covered most of it.

I have found that in general it also produces bigger fish than the other types of soft baiting. It does however require more angler skill and perseverance.

I find that soft bait's with more action work best. Lizards, crazy legs. Also like most forms of soft baiting it is best to go as light as possible with your jig head. Some times i will just use the unweighted hooks with just the ribs to hold on the SB.

You'd be surprised what you can pull out from the rocks around the areas i know we both fish!

And i can assure you they did hook up some fish Wink

Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ponty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 12:34am
ponty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for that no major. I assumed they would have hooked into something after awhile was watching for a good half hour and no hook ups. Guess that sums it up though mite take longer to get a fish but like you say they are bigger.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 9:18am
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good info. Lots of my softbaiting is close to the rocks. Not always in heavy wash but some good snapper hide near kelpy rocky areas. In my experience bright colours work best but can def see how softbaits like nuc chicken would work due to the contrast catching the snappers eye
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 9:30am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

While not my preference, I do a little bit of SBg in close/some wash. I've found two almost distinct styles work OK for me. First the darting baitfish technique - cast say a small Gulp Nuclear Chicken or the dark brown Zman into wash on a jighead and small rapid jerks for the darting baitfish but injured look.
Also using the 'waft' approach - an unweighted or very small weighted Catch Anchovy cast close in (from a boat) and left to waft around in the turbulent water and slowly down the water column to the bottom (especially if deep drop off) - simply looks like an dying anchovy baitfish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 4:45pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Espresso Espresso wrote:

Also using the 'waft' approach - an unweighted or very small weighted Catch Anchovy cast close in (from a boat) and left to waft around in the turbulent water and slowly down the water column to the bottom (especially if deep drop off) - simply looks like an dying anchovy baitfish.

Yes, definitely works; but, as I have the attention span of a mayfly, I prefer to keep myself fully occupied in working the bait more.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 5:00pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive found large baits have there place wash fishing at times,the ugly paddle tail gulps that dont look like they would attract a blind fish can be dynamite,had alot of luck with watermelon,pumpkinseed and limetiger at Tiri and kawau,i prefer a 1/4 ounce jighead if the boats drifting slowly past places like challenger,if fast then 1/2 ounce,tiri and kawau are hard to find good places with wash,it has to be 20 plus to get good conditions there...not very plesant to fish but worth while...a large swell helps,another good option is fishing the western side of little barrier throwing baits in around the clumps of weed on the rocks,you will see rocks in 5 to 10 mtrs with sand around the edges,they dont break the surface which is good.... Throwing baits oround them will draw fish out from under the weeds....good luck
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 7:44pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Agree with PJay on this one.
Especially point number 2, the rougher it is in close the better the fishing.
Love big paddle tails in the wash.
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ponty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 9:14pm
ponty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Heading to little barrier tomorrow. All the bait shops were closed so was not able to get heaps of berley good reason to try wash fishing :p
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote J-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 11:47pm
J-D View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good luck Ponty . . look forward to the report Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ponty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 7:35pm
ponty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

haha well weather got crap so didn't have much fishing time then i snagged my line on my engine blush and lost all my line. However for the 20 odd casts i did do I have a few hits and kinda learnt a bit more even with the only limited time spent on it. work in progress
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 6:30pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just noticed this thread. I have been trying this (not sure if it is wash fishing as much as shallow water fishing) around the inner hauraki gulf islands (rangi, mototapu, rakino). reason being I love it - drift along 10 metres or so from the rocks, with downtown auckland half an hour away, you could be anywhere.

I have very little experience, but my go to rig is 1/4 oz jig head, new penny paddle tail, 4", but I have so few fish that it is not a fair comparison. The quality of fish seems better, but i am talking small fry compared to you guys. It is harder work than just drifting down the channels, but the catch rate is just as good or better, and its "close to nature" fishing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 11:06pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

not only wash but also deep guts that lead out into deeper waters, some of the biggest snapper i have seen have been half awake or half asleep not sure which in guts while snooping around the shallows when diving, that is in protected waters with no movement at all,  they will pounce on any offering if it lands near them, it normally happens straight off when the s/b hits the water, or within a meter of it sinking or even if it bounces in off the rocks,of coarse you need to land it in the right place, so casting accurately is a must...
you will be totally blown away where you find them....
but that said, the longer you do it the better you get at spotting the perfect places...
another is caves, have speared big snapper from inside caves, one in particular is the cave at Piercy Island, big snaps hang out in there and red snapper right up in the back of same cave....
brmbrm first get your casting feeling the hits in the back of Motuihe Island hit it on a bite time and you want miss at this time of year...try between these numbers 23 and 25 plus 15 to 24 has been working for many years....

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote onthedrop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2012 at 8:44am
onthedrop View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

brmbrm yeah mate thats my bread and butter fishing quickest way to get a feed and its really enjoyable ive got a batch in fitzroy on gbi and i hardly ever venture 500m from my doorstep to get a feed all great fish too.Pretty nice catching fish to 18 pound in sight of home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gmacx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2012 at 10:15am
gmacx View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Are you guys reeling the sb in after cast once it has sunk a satisfactory amount?
Or are you just keeping in touch with it and giving it some movement attempting to keep it away from the snags while drifting?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2012 at 10:25am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Eric :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2012 at 10:28am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

depending on the weight used gmacx,
if you use light weights then the sink rate is slow and you can slowly work it back without snags,
but if you use a heavier jig head then flick and wind is a must,
of coarse heavy means casting is not compromised and longer distances can be cast and your not readjusting the boat all the time due to not landing the s/b were you really want it....
so you use what your happy with both get nailed, of coarse the lighter means you will get bitten by leathers and such which means you need to use Zmans otherwise your forever changing baits...
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing