Raro Fishing September

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BBFisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raro Fishing September
    Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 2:10pm
BBFisha View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Heading up to Raro in September for a mates wedding, we are there for 8 days and I plan to do a charter or two while I am there but would also like a few tips on what sort of gear to take to cast a few poppers and lures about in the lagoon/inlets.  We are staying near Rutaki and I have heard casting in the lagoons and around the inlets is the best bet in the morning/dusk.

Any info on size/colour poppers and lures the best type of line/leader would be awesome.  Obviously going to need to beef up to deal with the coral!

Any info would be much appreciated.

Kev
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 2:28pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Heading up that way around that time also, actually my honeymoon.
80 lb braid minimum if GT on the cards. 120 to 150 lb leader, some may say more. Decent terminal tackle, owner hooks etc.
I have just sold low price popper set I advertised on here which may have done the job.
Will be taking, dogfight set, jigging gear and fly rod for lagoon fishing. oh yeh and the misses too

Had a mate enquire about popper fishing the other day and out of his price range so he going to settle on doing his own thing of the shore. He scored my rod and reel for half the price of what a half day charter would have cost. But if you can splash the cash on charter, money well spent for fish of a lifetime I guess.
Mind you I will be taking my catch of a lifetime with me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BBFisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 10:33am
BBFisha View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers for the info mate.  Yeah not really targeting GT's and I dont have the gear, more interested in maybe some Bluefin Trevs and small tuna, will likely be rolling up with beefy softbait gear rather than serious popping gear :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike.Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 10:20am
Mike.Thomas View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi, Check out my report in the Salt Water Fly forum, some of my fishing was in the inlets at the bottom end of the island. http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/back-from-raro_topic81410.html
a light soft bait set up is all you will need.
Hope you do well.
All the best.
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike.Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 10:22am
Mike.Thomas View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Oh yes, forgot to mention, I can highly recomend captain Moko, he is a nice guy and a good laugh as well as a good fisherman. That is his boat behind me in the first picture on the report.
All the best.
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hogdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 2:34pm
hogdog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ill be there Monday so Ill let you know how I get on